Windows 8 8.1 network connection issues.

As you can see from the title, I am having issues with constant lag spikes about every ten seconds that last for about 2-5 seconds. I have an Asus laptop with Windows 8.1 and has never had this issue before. This appears to be the only device that is lagging on my network, plus I have the only wireless Windows 8.1 laptop on my network so I am not exactly sure if it is an issue with 8.1 or not. The lag started right after I came back from vacation and I don't know why it just started. It seems to be working fine on different networks such as my friends house but it just won't stop the lag on my home network. It has full bars and I don't think it is a distance issue as my tablet works fine in my room where my computer is. If any of you could help that would be great..

An addition is that it is not framerate or fps lag because when I am playing Minecraft the players just stop and then go again and not fps lag because it isn't slow like it will let me move unlike fps lag.

Reboot your router, update your wireless drivers to the latest for your specific wireless chipset, update the firmware for your wireless router. If none of that helps, start scanning for malware.

Power-cycle your router = turn it off at the power (wait two minutes) then turn it back on again… this resets such things as dhcp and dns which sometimes fixes these kind of indeterminate issues.

Updates = both software and firmware are downloaded from the makers web-site and the steps depend on what make and model router you have.

The fact that your network works fine at a mates house implies the laptop itself is ok so,
Next steps:
1. Temporary plug your system into one of the cables on your home network instead of using it on the wireless… if the problem persists then it may in fact be your service provider and not the router itself. In this case you should ring them up… perhaps someone is putting in a new highway or something and that’s not anything you can fix from your end.
2. If the problem only happens on your home wireless then that’s almost always the router and to be blunt, it’s normally cheaper to replace the router than try to trouble shoot it… assumes updates have been tried first.

At this point, getting a new router would cost more because I have replaced my router twice already in the past two months.

The title of your thread suggests a "connection issue" but your actual comments in your original posts only speaks of "lag and frame rate" problems.
This might be more of a problem with how you have your wireless network configure, with respect to encryption, the channel you're using, or possibly some environment issues with other devices causing interference with the signal.
I would suggest that you start by changing the wireless channel on the router you're using and maybe experiment with different levels of encryption, starting first with running it "open" no encryption and advancing to WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc., and see if that makes any difference in the performance.
Also you should probably investigate the possibility of other device interference by adjusting your proximity between your wireless computer and your wireless source (router). The fact that your tablet might work fine at or near the same location does not really help as all wireless radios are dependent on their firmware, drivers, physical capabilities and antenna(s) and consequently may be inherently stronger or weaker when compared to another such device.
Overall, if you don't know how to do any of these things you need to find someone who does to help you further diagnose the problem.

I have replaced my router twice already in the past two months.

Why... is there an issue with power at your place or is this router shuffle not related?

When should I take it out?

2 days, 3 hours and 47 seconds should be a good test time o_O:rolleyes:... you have a better idea than us how offen this happens but if it's not kicking in under cable after 2 days, thats a good start.

starting first with running it "open" no encryption

The fact is wireless has a million possible things that can wrong with it but Trouble has a good point and you have to start someplace.

Why... is there an issue with power at your place or is this router shuffle not related?

2 days, 3 hours and 47 seconds should be a good test time o_O:rolleyes:... you have a better idea than us how offen this happens but if it's not kicking in under cable after 2 days, thats a good start.

The fact is wireless has a million possible things that can wrong with it but Trouble has a good point and you have to start someplace.
All the times I have had to replace the router it is because it is too old or something or not just a good router and stops working every now and then. OK I will see if I have another wire to connect to my laptop.. And to be honest I have no clue what trouble was saying so I will get help from my dad. I honestly don't think it has to do with my router because if you read it I said that it was just my device and it said that I had full bars.

The title of your thread suggests a "connection issue" but your actual comments in your original posts only speaks of "lag and frame rate" problems.
This might be more of a problem with how you have your wireless network configure, with respect to encryption, the channel you're using, or possibly some environment issues with other devices causing interference with the signal.
I would suggest that you start by changing the wireless channel on the router you're using and maybe experiment with different levels of encryption, starting first with running it "open" no encryption and advancing to WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc., and see if that makes any difference in the performance.
Also you should probably investigate the possibility of other device interference by adjusting your proximity between your wireless computer and your wireless source (router). The fact that your tablet might work fine at or near the same location does not really help as all wireless radios are dependent on their firmware, drivers, physical capabilities and antenna(s) and consequently may be inherently stronger or weaker when compared to another such device.
Overall, if you don't know how to do any of these things you need to find someone who does to help you further diagnose the problem.
Which channel should I change it to? I think I may know how to change it to WEP, WPA, WPA2. I think currently it is WPA and WPA2.... How do I find out what it is and what is after WPA 2?

Last edited:
Power-cycle your router = turn it off at the power (wait two minutes) then turn it back on again… this resets such things as dhcp and dns which sometimes fixes these kind of indeterminate issues.

Updates = both software and firmware are downloaded from the makers web-site and the steps depend on what make and model router you have.

The fact that your network works fine at a mates house implies the laptop itself is ok so,
Next steps:
1. Temporary plug your system into one of the cables on your home network instead of using it on the wireless… if the problem persists then it may in fact be your service provider and not the router itself. In this case you should ring them up… perhaps someone is putting in a new highway or something and that’s not anything you can fix from your end.
2. If the problem only happens on your home wireless then that’s almost always the router and to be blunt, it’s normally cheaper to replace the router than try to trouble shoot it… assumes updates have been tried first.
I actually went on my router this morning to test different wireless channels and security and I found out that all I need was a firmware update and now it is perfect. Thanks for helping me and I put your reply for the best answer

Back