Windows Vista Absolutely no internet connection

bwku

I just upgraded from vista to 7 and now I can not access the internet at all with that computer. My connection is fine (I am using another computer on it to write this) and I have the latest drivers for my network connection. I ran a clean install, and still nothing. I ran the troubleshoot for the network and the connection wizard, still nothing.

Please help.

If you go to the network and sharing center by right clicking on the network icon, what does it show as far as any red Xes or any other impairments. There are trouble shooters if you click or right click on some problems areas.

Maybe post an attachment of a picture of your network sharing center using the snipping tool.

Of course, you always have to consider any firewalls or anti-virus software might be blocking your access.

When I connect my ethernet cable it says I am on a public network that is unidentified, and there is a red x btween the network and the internet symbols at the top of the networking and sharing screen. I checked for updates for my bios (pheonix tech. r01-83) and there are no driver updates for windows 7 that I can find. When I do not have the ethernet cable plugged in, it recognizes that there is no connection, so i figure that the network card (NVIDIA nforce 7 series) can read that there is a connection or not, but it won't connect. I did all the ipconfig/release and renew, and still nothing.

Open the Network and Sharing Center. Select the blue link next to the public network. Select Home Network.

there is no link next to to public network, there is no option anywhere for me to switch to a home network, the only time I got to that option was during the setup for the install of 7, after that I can not find anywhere to switch the network type. Is there a series of comands from the startup menu that you can layout for me to get there withoput linking from the screwed up options the network sharing center gives me?

attached are screen shots of my network center, in the help topics of 7 it says there should be a link right under the public network, but there is not.

If you do not have the link next to the red arrow, maybe you could disconnect and try again or disconnect and reconnect and attempt to change the network. If you can't we will have to start with basic tests.

Since it appears you are not able to change your network location, I have been trying to track that down. The only definite thing I have found so far is that if you are a member of a Domain, you cannot change the location.

There were also some comments about not having a DHCP server, Windows would set it to public for safety.

I will continue to look, but in the meantime, you might check your firewalls, especially the Windows Firewall and make sure the public access is turned on. I know it is in firewall properties, so if it isn't obvious, look there. Other things might also depend on the public setting, such as IE and what restrictions it imposes.

I have been searching for "cannot change network location in Windows 7", if you want to try.

I also noticed there was a check box on the network locations dialog which says to mark all locations as public and do not ask again. I have been trying to find out if there was a way to reverse it, had it been marked my mistake.

Something else is to click on the park bench, on the bottom of the window it has a delete network locations. You might try that and then install a new one.

It is starting to seem you have something corrupted. I would disable the network adapter. I would try to install another network. I might even look at netsh.exe to see how it works.

I do not know what else to suggest...

how do I disable the network adapter?

Another question, my computer came with an OEM version of Vista on it, which I no longer have because of a clean install and I did not save Vista to anything, is there any way that I could get Vista back? Or do I have to go buy a new copy?

Thank for the help in any case.

how do I disable the network adapter?

Another question, my computer came with an OEM version of Vista on it, which I no longer have because of a clean install and I did not save Vista to anything, is there any way that I could get Vista back? Or do I have to go buy a new copy?
How you restore Vista depends on your manufacturer. You can restore an OEM version on the same computer whenever you like. On my Dell, I had a DVD of Windows and installed it on a new drive and was never questioned.

Disable the Network adapter by Network and Sharing center, maybe adapter settings, I am on XP right now. That would disconnect you from the network and maybe when you re-enable it, maybe you can rechoose your network.

Back
Top Bottom