Windows 7 "Access is denied" to second HDD

gadgarra

I have 3 computers on my LAN, C1 C2 and C3. All 3 are on the same work group. I have just added a second HDD to C3. I have formatted this drive as drive “G” and have set it to be shared, with full permissions set. I can access this drive and its folders from C3. I can also access public folders on C3 from C1 and C2.

However, when I try to access drive G from either C1 or C2, I get the following error messages:

Windows cannot access \\C3\G
Error code 0x80070005
Access is denied.
“G” is available but the user account you are logged on with was denied access.

Can someone please suggest how I can fix this?

I assume you set the share up as administrator but are now just logged in as normal... what computer did you set the share on and (exactly) what account type?

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure I totally understand your question. I am the only user on both C2 and C3, and assume this means I am an administrator. I do not have to log on as such to either computer. I set the share of the second HDD on C3 from C3 itself, - just went into properties, sharing and set permissions for everyone to full control.

One further point, which I don't think is relevant: - C! and C3 are running Windows 7 64 bit. C2 is running Windows Vista 32 bit.

Hi,
A couple of questions for you. What is the make/model of the new hard drive (G:) please? And the capacity in GB? Did you format the drive G: as MBR or GPT?

Windows7 networking is a bit different, and can be quite confusing when you add new computers to it, or new hard drives onto existing computers. Sounds to me like you are attempting to use Workgroup sharing (which worked on Vista, XP, and older versions of windows). However, as I indicated, Win7 networking is different. You must use Windows7 Homegroup networking for all of your network shares in order for them to be visible and accessible in both directions. In other words; C3-->C1, C3-->C2, C1-->C3bootdrive, C2-->C3bootdrive, C1-->C3drive2, C2-->C3drive2.

If you haven't yet established the Win7 Homegroup, you should attempt to do so now. You have to decide which of your 2 Win7 computers will be the Master in the Win7 Homegroup, either C1 or C3. If C1 only has the 1 bootdrive, I would create the Homegroup on the C3 Win7 computer since it has multiple drives (2 drives including the G: drive). After you setup the Homegroup, for this example, on the C3 Win7 computer, you'll need to write down the Homegroup Passcode and go logon the C1 Win7 computer and enter that Passcode to add C1 to the newly created Homegroup on C3. Lastly, go logon to the C2 Vista computer, and enter the same Passcode to add the C2 computer to the new Homegroup. This should solve your problems. :up:

Many folks decide to intentionally not use the Win7 Homegroup networking on their home LAN, and attempt to find another way to do it. It's possible and folks have done it here on this forum. However, in my experience it's a lot more work, and it requires a lot more maintenance to do it--especially if you create the shared LAN with NetBIOS or UNC shares. Everytime you add a new computer or a new drive to one of your computers, you have to effectively rip out the old LAN, and build a new one, manually.:skull: Win7 Homegroup networking you have to do the same thing quite often, but it's a lot easier to do. The more computers you have, the easier this task becomes. You have 3 computers; we have folks here who have 50 computers and use Win7 Homegroup networking. They believe it's an easier method, and so you should take note and consider doing it the easier way rather than the (older) hard way. But, of course that's up to you.

Also, a caution for you here; if you did previously setup a Win7 Homegroup on either C1 or C3, you'll have to rip that out (remove it), and start over. Once you create your new Homegroup on C3, it will be much easier to add computers and drives to your Homegroup in a consistent manner.

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thank you very much for your help. I have followed your instructions, and we are making progress. I have set up a new homegroup for C1 and C3 and now have full access between these two. With C2, the Vista computer, I changed the name of the workgroup to HOMEGROUP, which was accepted. However it appears that C2 still thinks it also belongs to the to the original workgroup. This may be the reason why I still cannot access the G drive on C3 from C2.

When I click on "Network" on C2, it shows C2 as belonging to Homegroup, but C1 and C3 as belonging to Workgroup.

How can I remove workgroup from C2?

Hi gadgarra,

Sorry for the delay, got busy this week. There are a few things I can think of to try. Make sure your Vista is updated to SP2 (Service Pack 2) level and all post-SP2 updates have been installed on C2. There are many networking file updates with both SP1 & SP2 in Vista that allow the Vista to perform proper networking and file/folder sharing. So ensure that C2 is up to date update-wise.

There is a thing called "persistence" which sometimes keeps "ghost images" of your old network setup on 1 or more of your computers. This happens when some computers are left on (not power-cycled), as "ghosts" :ghost:of old file shares, workgroup names, PC names, domain names, etc. live in the RAM on one or more of the computers not powered off.o_O These of course re-propagate over your LAN between all your other PCs; in your case, the other 2 Win7 PCs you just re-did the Homegroup networking on. I suggest you actually power-cycle ALL 3 of your PCs at the same time along with your wireless router. Leave all devices off for at least 5 min. and power on and check your shares and your Homegroup names for each of your 3 PCs. This should clear out the "ghosties":ghost: from your Windows explorer.:up:

If the problem persists after you try this, there may be a problem with the C2 PC windows networking or system files.o_O What I would do there, is to FIRST backup all your personal data on C2 to external media and perform a full Windows reinstallation or Windows reset from factory Recovery Disks/USB Stick if you have them. Ensure on the reinstallation or reset that you choose "CUSTOM" on the reinstall and format entire hard drive, or at the very least the data partition. You should also run a hardware test on the bootdrive on C2 (C: drive) using the free SEATOOLS utility available from Seagate.com. Run BOTH the short and long tests, and if SEATOOLS returns any errors, then that drive has failed and must be replaced!:waah: Most likely a fatal hard sector error on that drive is located in the middle of one or more of the Vista networking files and could be producing your network sharing issue. Replacing the faulty hard drive, with a fresh Vista install and updates, should fix that problem.:encouragement: Be aware that since C2 is a Vista PC, that windows is now 9 years old, and if that PC came from the factory with Vista installed and you've never replaced the hard drive, chances are very high that it's got a problem by now, so it's best you find out now there's an issue with it, fix it, and that most likely will solve your network sharing problem. :up:

After, that it gets so ugly, I won't post it, as this often causes people a lot of angst and frustration--so I'll just ask you to post back if none of the above works. Probably a 90% chance or better that it will be fixed by here.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>> :usa:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I can confirm that C2 is updated to Vista SP2.

I tried your suggestion of power-cycling all 3 computers, but this did not work. C2 still shows as belonging to workgroup, and not homegroup.

Quite frankly, the problem is not sufficiently serious for me to follow your suggestion of re-installing Windows on C2. I can access public folders on C3 from C2, and can live with the restriction of not being able to access the G drive on C3.

Thanks again

You're welcome! Sorry we couldn't come up with an easier solution.:( But, you've found something that's workable for your situation.:teeth: You might keep in mind that if you hired a competent network Tech to come to your home and fix this, it's usually a $100 per computer on the LAN to fix the problem, plus travel and expense time if they have to fly or drive in from out of your area. It's not unusual when I get called out to fix this problem it's $400-$600 or more.:skull:

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

Back