Windows 7 Access is denied?

Dualnames

I'm getting quite annoyed with the OS because it constantly is saying I do not have privileges to open a file, or delete a file, or write to a folder.

It's confusing because I have UAC off, I am the admin, I check the folder and it says everyone has full privileges and I don't have my firewall on and yet it is still blocking me. I can't even write to my desktop. Any help would be very nice.

Which files/folders are you wanting access to? The navigation has changed a little since XP, and some of the folders are no longer user available, nor is there any reason to access them. But also. What do you mean by "write to a folder"

Last edited by a moderator:
Open an administrative command prompt (Right click; Run as Administator)
Type 'net user administrator activate:yes' and hit Enter.

Then see if that fixes the problem...

Open an administrative command prompt (Right click; Run as Administator)
Type 'net user administrator activate:yes' and hit Enter.

Then see if that fixes the problem...

that didnt fix the issue either..

I need to access documents and settings\users\ etc etc to allow access for other programmes

there must be a way that allows access to these folders?

Incidently I notice that beside each folder to which I am denied access there is a blak arrow in a little white box..similar to a shortcut arrow

You are still not too specific about which folders.? But, since Vista, there have been several folders made redundant. They have, however, been left in for Backward compatibility purposes. They are known now, as junctions.
For example, if an old Xp install wishes to piut something in the old "Documents and Settings" folder, it will still find it, so will continue with a succesful install. However, Vista/Windows 7 redirects the files to the new folders. By manipulating the security settings, you can gain access. This would be pointless and dangerous. You would find, for example, that any alterationsyou might make inside those folders would result in a steadily increasing number of duplicates of your documents.
If you would like some more information as to where the new folders are located, you can read here:
Application Compatibility: Junction Points and Backup Applications

davehc thanks for the pointer

interesting reading and makes sense.

I'll try using the \user folders and see where I get.

thanks again

Back