Windows 7 Accessing GPT partitions

usuario

Hi everyone,

my hard disk is GPT partitioned for the benefit of Mac OS X and Linux. I recently created a new partition at the end of my hard disk but I can't seem to access it in Windows. Is there a way to get Windows to see the partition?

My hard disk currently looks like this:

Mac partition (HFS+) - Windows can see
Dummy partition (NTFS) that Windows created
Windows partition (NTFS) - Windows can see of course
Linux partition (ext4) - Windows can't see
Linux swap partition - Windows can't see
New data partition (HFS+) - Windows can't see

I want Windows to be able to see the last partition.

What should I do with this software? I don't understand how gparted will make Windows see the partition.

I usually boot into Mac OS X, but sometimes boot Windows or Linux. I have GParted installed on Linux already, but I don't see how I can use it to make Windows see the partition. Both Linux and Mac OS X can read and write to the partition with no problems (after I set UNIX rw permissions)

Last edited:
Hey. You need 3rd party software to access Linux and/or Mac partitions from within Windows. Here's an example:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

diskmanagement.gif
I've attached a screenshot of the Disk Management utility. For some reason it thinks the partition before the Windows one is part of the last partition. Maybe that's why it's listing the partition as "RAW" since it can't figure out what file system to use. When I assigned F: to the partition, it appeared in My Computer but when I try to click it, it tells me "You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it".

oh btw, the partitions are:
a.) EFI data (FAT32?) (0.2 GB)
b.) Mac (HFS+) (70.9 GB)
c.) empty space (unallocated) (0.1 GB)
d.) Windows (NTFS) (30.4 GB)
e.) Linux (ext4) (10.24 GB)
f.) My data partition (HFS+) (354.0 GB)

and Apple provides a read-only HFS+ driver to access Mac partitions. I happen to have MacDrive, which does both reading and writing.

Last edited:
I just realized that what I just did (assigning a drive letter) changed my partitions into basic ones, so now my hard disk can only boot Windows. Now I have bigger problems than I had before!

Could you post the contents of the boot.ini file here?

Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, click the boot tab and tell us what's listed.

Back
Top Bottom