Windows 10 Problem installing to a GPT partition

pmennen

I'm trying to install win10 to a new SSD on an intel NUC5i5RYK. I created a GPT partition table containing two equal size partitions using GPARTED (Knoppix). Then I booted to a win10 install DVD (usb device) using the default bios settings. Windows setup shows the two primary partitions (partitions 1 & 2 on Drive 0) but it says that windows can't be installed on either of them ("Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"). I looked in the BIOS and both legacy and UEFI booting is supported. From what I've read on this forum, booting in legacy mode causes this problem, but when I try to disable the legacy mode from the bios, my USB DVD device is not recognized as a boot device. This seems like a chicken before the egg situation. Is there a way to install windows to the GPT disk or do I have to restart GPARTED and rewrite the partition table as a MBR disk? If so, is there a significant disadvantage of using the older style MBR partition?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer.
~Paul

If you start the install process again but this time when you get to the set up page asking where to install windows simply delete the existing partitions and click next. Once the install has finished you'll find you have one large GPT partition (as well as the recovery partitions windows creates).
You can now use the Disk management feature to create a further partition if you wish which will still be GPT of course.. :)

Yes, thank you kemical ... that did work. I guess the error message is erroneous, because windows was able to install to the GPT disk after all, so the reason windows couldn't install to the disk was something else. Too bad it didn't give a valid error message, since then I probably could have fixed the problem. I suspect it is possible to create the partitions with GPARTED, however it appears that I did not create them in the way that windows required.
~Paul

Glad to hear that helped although as to why Gparted wouldn't work I'm unsure. It might simply be down to the fact that the build (15063) has several bugs yet to be ironed out?

Back