Windows 7 Accidentally moved Office folder to desktop

ibclare

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but I don't have a clue how I'd search for the topic. I mistakenly moved my MS Office folder out of the start menu, all programs, and cannot figure out how to put it back in there. I looked around the computer but can't find a place to put it back. Anybody have an idea? TYVM, Clare in IB

Hi

I assume that you mean that you dragged the Microsoft Office folder that has the Word, PowerPoint etc icons in it from the all programs list to the desktop?

I've done this, and the only way I have found to restore it was to run the installation again.

It seems like there should be an easier way but I don't know anyway to add things to the programs list directly.
Maybe some one else does, if so I'd be interested in knowing as well.

If you want an icon it both places the way to do it is to right click on the folder in the programs list and select create shortcut.

Mike

Hi

I found a way to do it.

Click on the folder on your desktop and select copy.

Open the all programs list and paste the Office folder into any existing folder.

Now you can drag the folder out of the folder you put it in to any location on the programs list.

I use Classic Shell, which makes dealing with your program folders and links a lot easier if you have a lot of them.

Classic Shell | Download Classic Shell software for free at SourceForge.net

Mike

Thanks Mike. Already on my 2nd installation of Office. Probably won't do that again for now. Not sure why I even dragged it out; I've already put most of the shortcuts on the desktop and just wanted Access.

How many times can I reinstall Office on the same PC anyway?

I miss my Mac . . . this wouldn't have happened. I am not Mac militant (though I'd have one again if not for the $$$), there are plenty of things to recommend the PC, just haven't used one in 12 or so years. Tx again for your help.

Clare

You should be able to do it from Windows explorer also.
Windows explorer - Users - Username - Desktop.
Right click the Office folder and drag and drop it to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I never thought of that!
Just too simple I guess. LOL

As far a I know you can install it as many times as you want on the same computer.
I have installed mine on several different computers that I have had, one at a time, but it did say no when I tried to install in on my wifes at the same time it was on my own.

Mike

Hi Dave, I already tried that. There was indeed an MS Office folder but all that was under it was a folder named Office 12. I did move the folder with all the Office programs there (though it seemed redundant) and the programs and associated files all opened up, but the folder did not reappear on the all programs search on the start button.

I've also tried to get answers from Microsoft, for different issues in the past, but since my program is MS7 -- I guess that's why -- they won't give me any help unless I want to pay them. Dumbass policy if you ask me. I guess I'll leave it there anyway, and pin the programs I use to the start menu or shortcut to the desktop (just don't like a cluttered desktop). At least I'll know where to find the folder if I want to.

Tx all. Clare

Hmmm, I can't get that to work... I'll take a look at Classic Shell. Thanks.

Hi

I just tried it again.

I dragged the Microsoft Office folder off the list to the desktop.
Then I selected copy and pasted it back into the Microsoft Live Ad-In folder which was just below the Office folders location on my list.

When I opened the list back up I was able to drag the Office folder out of the Live Ad-In folder and back to it's original location.

Mike

Hi again Clare. I run as "user" Administrator. The menu folder path I gave you is associated with that.As an Admin/user, You should repeat the drag and drop (Copy - Not Move!) but to your user path

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Hi Mike, thanks for your input. Don't know why, but I couldn't get that to work. I did, however, get a reply from allysonstewart on the MS Office forum that I was able to use. I don't understand why Windows makes it so hard to navigate around the computer and find things like this. Anyway, here's the advice I took:

1. Right-click on the Start button and select "Windows Explorer" or "Open Windows Explorer." A window opens and you are placed in the default folder of your computer.

2. Copy and paste the following address into the address bar of the window: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

(As a side note: This is the location of the Start Menu on my computer. Hopefully, it's the same for you. You can also find out the location of your Start Menu by right-clicking on a Microsoft Office program in the Start Menu and selecting "Properties." Then select the "General" tab in the Properties window and highlight the address under "Location.")

3. You will be directed to the Programs folder of your Start Menu.

4. Drag and drop the folder from your Desktop into the correct folder or minimize the window and copy the folder from your Desktop and paste it into the window.

Ha Ha Ha. Yes, it does! Thanks again. I think I got this suggestion and did it before you posted that last reply.

Back
Top Bottom