Windows 7 accidently checked the always use selected program to open all files, all files are the same

beeker2177

OK I somehow choice my power2go program as the default program for all my programs. All my icons turned to power2go icon, I have done this before and in the past I would delete the program causing this (power2go) and the problem would be solved. I did this and nothing happened, the program was deleted but all my icons are now blank. When I go to open any other program I get the default box asking me to choose which program to use to open it. I mean for everything word, internet explorer, I mean everything. For example when I tried to open windows media player I get a box that says " The selected file has an extension (ink.) that is not recongnized by windows media player, but the player may still be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trustworthy sourse. When I select yes I get windows media player cannot play the file the player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. When I try word I get the default box and when I select word it opens still how do I get the defaults restored. Some programs don't do anything they just time out. I did a system restore and nothing how do I restore my defaults for all my programs. Is there a way to make sure this never ever happens again. The box that say always use this program to open this type of file is not checked which it usually is I am afraid to check it for each individual program fearing I might make things worse. Is there anything I can do? When I called HP they wanted to charge me a lot of money to fix this which I am sorry to say is BS, can you please someone help me?

The easy way to try first is to right click on one of the file types you want to change and go through the procedure you've mentioned to select the correct program in each case. This should be a safe and easy way to sort the problem. If you still have any problems there are some .reg files you can download to make the necessary registry changes - get back to us if you find you'd like so help getting some of these.

Thank you for getting back to me this did not work. I tried to open Microsoft word and I got the box which program should I assign to open it I selected word then I open it and nothing. So I checked the box do this for all programs like it thinking that would at least assign the right program to it. Big mistake now all my files are word files. My biggest fear has come true I made it worse. How do I restore my defaults back to its original state there has to be a way. The programs you mentioned are they free to use? Is this a registry problem? Is there not a magic button you can press to make all the files go back to the way the were?

Try a system restore back to some date before the problem first happened. Btw - are they Word files you are clicking on (.doc or docx files) or are they link files (.lnk)?

Another approach - goto control panel, default programs to set defaults.

Last edited:
Tried a system rebot and nothing happed still the same issue. Don't understand what you mean when you ask about the word files. If i go to the start menu and select anything like the calculator word tries to open all my icons are word. Word is trying to open for all my files. Like I said this happen before and deleting the program solved it its just not working this time dont know why. Tried the defaults thing in control panel yeah nothing there either, I just cannot figure this out for the life of me. I am very thankful for the help you are trying to give me. Like I said HP offered to try but at a stea[ price money which I do not have. The big issue is that all my files are being open with word and I need them restored back

Tried a system rebot
Did you mis-read this - I was suggesting a system restore - click on the start orb and where it says"All programs" enter "system restore" and run it. Look for a restore point which pre-dates the problem.

At this point I'd try System File Checker.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I can't guarantee anything though.

Seems the issue may be with the executeable file association (.exe) perhaps have a look at this Microsoft article, it has a tool to "Fix It" (VISTA only) for you as well as manual instructions (WINDOWS7) When you run an .exe file on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program. If as you've been asked, the issue is with shortcut file association (.lnk) this fixed has been said to repair that problem in both VISTA and WINDOWS7 Link Removed - Invalid URL
Hope this helps.

Back