Windows 7 Acer 5532 restore discs windows 7 Home premium - help please

Vagablonde

I recently aquired a computer and ordered acer backup recovery cds
to reinstall windows 7 home premium 64 bit
the included options all very staright forward.none have worked !
these are the included directions below however when i try either of these options it seems the cd just spins and does nothing then eventually boots into windows
without any recovery options.

no password enabled,and bios is set to

BIOS Info
CPU Model: AMD Athlon (tm) Processor TF_20
HDD Model : TOSHIBA
Atapi Model : TSST Corp CDDVDW

Boot Priority order (Default )
1-IDEO Toshiba MK1655GSX
2-IDE1 IDE TSST CORP CDDVDW TS-L633C
3-USB FDD
4-Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent
5-USB HDD
6-USB CDROM
=================================
all these are enabled
Quiet Boot
network Boot
F12 Boot Menu (Default set to disabled)
d2d Recovery

=================================
Recovery Cd Boot Options

1 - IDE0 Toshiba MK1655GSX
2 - IDE TSST CORP CDDVDW TS-L633C
3 - Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent
==================================]

thanks for all help in advance.

I included below the instructions that comes with how Acer tells to use the recovery cds..

To start the system recovery:
1.Restart the computer.
2.When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
3.If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
4.After the system recovery application has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the Operating System.
If the ability to reinstall from the previous method is not available or fails, recovery of the Operating System will need to be from Recovery Media.
== Option 2 ========================================
Note: If your computer does not have an internal optical disc drive, an external optical disc drive will be required in order to recover the Operating System using Acer Recovery Media.
1.Restart the computer.
2.When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the computer's Boot Menu.
3.Press the CD-ROM drive eject button and insert the disc labeled System CD.
4.Close the CD-ROM tray.
5.Refer to on screen instructions to select either CDROM or USB CDROM.
6.The computer will boot from the Acer Recovery Media
7.When prompted for the Recovery CD, remove the System CD and insert the Recovery CD.

Last edited:
What is the current status of your system. Can you boot into Windows at all? Maybe an explanation of your exact situation would help.

When you boot you hold down the ALT key then tap the F10 key repeatedly?

It almost sounds like you should have 2 CDs, one bootable and one not.

Did you order the x64 version and not the 32 bit version?

What is the current status of your system. Can you boot into Windows at all? Maybe an explanation of your exact situation would help.

When you boot you hold down the ALT key then tap the F10 key repeatedly?

It almost sounds like you should have 2 CDs, one bootable and one not.

Did you order the x64 version and not the 32 bit version?

hello saltgrass
thanks for the reply
I have tried already the ALT F10 option as well

Itried changing the bios to boot from the cd drive listed..nothing
all the simple things that should work are not doing so

I can boot into windows ,as far as the recovery discs there are 3 Recovery 1 system disc which has drivers,languages disc
when I ordered the disc it used the computer serial I couldn't enter an option so I assume it knew it was a 64 bit system
the only disc that says 64 bit on it is the language disc theres really nothing on them to identify one way or the other

the computer was given to me in bad shape..It had no virus malware or anything
the person who had it..deleted things by just deleting folders randomly.
I have since got it to a stable condition ,but it really needs a reinstall of windows.

the issue is I cant get it to boot to the recovery cd .

Last edited:
I have been trying to see exactly what is happening when you try the reinstall. How many DVD drives do you actually have in the system? Have you tried putting different CDs in the primary drive (Toshiba)? If none of those work there, try changing the boot order to the other DVD, the TSST.

You show the F12 option, as mentioned in the instructions, to be disabled. Have you tried enabling it so you could follow the second set of procedures?

Do you get any response from the F keys during boot? F8, F10, F12 show no control over the boot process? My earlier comment about F10 was to see if you were holding down the ALT key and not tapping it when using the F10 key. Some systems have the bios set up to use the secondary F keys so you may have to use the ALT key to get them to actually be F keys.

There is, of course, a chance the discs you got are defective.

Something you might try for now is to run a System File Check from within Windows to see if it reports any errors. Open an Administrative command window and type SFC /scannow and allow it to run. If it finds corrupted or missing system files, it will attempt to repair them, but might not be able to.

I have been trying to see exactly what is happening when you try the reinstall. How many DVD drives do you actually have in the system? Have you tried putting different CDs in the primary drive (Toshiba)? If none of those work there, try changing the boot order to the other DVD, the TSST.

You show the F12 option, as mentioned in the instructions, to be disabled. Have you tried enabling it so you could follow the second set of procedures?

Do you get any response from the F keys during boot? F8, F10, F12 show no control over the boot process? My earlier comment about F10 was to see if you were holding down the ALT key and not tapping it when using the F10 key. Some systems have the bios set up to use the secondary F keys so you may have to use the ALT key to get them to actually be F keys.

There is, of course, a chance the discs you got are defective.

Something you might try for now is to run a System File Check from within Windows to see if it reports any errors. Open an Administrative command window and type SFC /scannow and allow it to run. If it finds corrupted or missing system files, it will attempt to repair them, but might not be able to.

oh dear..thanks again for the reply..
so here is what I finally figured out..apparently they added a registry hack to prevent any drive to be accessed this included the
cd-rom drive,I have since removed this registry hack..and have been able to get the drive to respond and last night reinstalled windows.and it went without a glitch.thank you so much for your time trying to help me.

Back
Top Bottom