Activating Windows?

sat450

The short of this post is that Windows 7 Enterprise updates by default expecting a KMS server. I don't have one. I had to go through Microsoft Tech Support to change the key from KMS to MAK and then I could activate my copy of Windows 7.

I am glad I didn't reinstall. My installation disk uses KMS by default and I would have had the same problem again. I enjoy Linux and miss the days of the DOS prompt so it was refreshing to use the command prompt to solve the problem. I've heard that Linux people will like Windows 7 and I'm starting to believe.

So here was the resolution.

1.) Open an elevated cmd prompt
2.) Within the cmd prompt, type “slmgr.vbs /upkâ€Â￾ (this uninstalls the product key that is currently installed); you should receive a message indicating that the command completed successfully
3.) Within the cmd prompt, type “slmgr.vbs /ipk <key number you forwarded>â€Â￾ (this installs the MAK key into the machine); you should again receive a message indicated the command completed successfully

Reboot here

4.) Within the cmd prompt, type “slmgr.vbs /atoâ€Â￾ (this activates the license); you should once more receive a message indicating the command completed successfully
5.) Please run the “slmgr.vbs /dlvâ€Â￾ command again. It should show licensed now.
====

If it wasn't for the fact that this is a brand new operating system, I'd feel like I missed the boat. Why would an organization take the trouble to install a KMS server? Ok Vista, Win7 and Server 2008 must be activated. So the only choice is to do it ourselves or use Microsoft. We image machines. Can you image an activated client and then distributed the image on all the PCs or is this like the PC name where you have to change each one?

Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom