Windows 10 After MS hijack, can't set default apps

rf99

One morning recently, I found that during the night an update had occurred and rebooted my pc without asking me for confirmation. The reboot caused it to come up in Linux, because I use the grub loader and have Linux as the default. When I rebooted into Windows, it finished the update, which took a long time and included some weird messages including ones that said something like, "don't worry, your files are all still in the same place".

I don't know if this is the result of some malware or not (I have up to date anti-virus software installed), but after this happened, every time the machine comes up now MS Edge is the default browser and the default for pdf files (and there is no longer an Open With... option on the context menu for pdf files). When I manually start Chrome and respond affirmatively to its prompt to make it the default browser, it remains so until I reboot, but the default then is set back to Edge. As for pdf files, when prompted by Acrobat to change the default, I try to but it says it can't change the default.

This seems to be a hijack by either MS or some other nefarious party, preventing me from using the apps of my choice. Has anyone else experienced this, and know of a way I can get around it?

Thanks,
RF

know of a way I can get around it?
Don't let Microsoft do the thinking for you... disable updates until you need them.

When I manually start Chrome and respond affirmatively to its prompt to make it the default browser, it remains so until I reboot, but the default then is set back to Edge.

This is normal because chrome is not a Microsoft product it does NOT have default permission to become the 1st browser... you set the default from Windows settings.
Screenshot (20).png

I have a similar problem.. I cannot set a default browser or a picture viewer in the settings/default apps ap

Backup all your Personal Data to external media if you haven't already done so, and use W10 System Restore to "roll-back" your system to a point in time before that happened to your machine.

BTW, did your computer come with W10 pre-loaded from the factory? Or did you upgrade from an earlier windows version such as W7/W8x?

With weekly and monthly push-updates coming in from MS, you need to make sure you check your computer frequently, at least once a week to see if anything is wrong with it.

Also, there are viruses that cause this kind of damage to the Default Programs applet; we suggest you scan for viruses/malware with your built-in AV scanner. Scan/remove all viruses found. Next, download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware scanner from Malwarebytes.org and scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Retest and see if you can set your default browser and picture viewer. If you can your all set to go! :up:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom