Windows 7 all programs icons gone white in desktop and in start manu!!

adamasakly

hey everyone , i had a shortcut for a game but it was white and when i tried to enter it asked me to choose a programm .. so i tried to choose the game from it's folder..then all icons turned white ( win7_white - MyPicx.com ) as you can see .. i got 64 bit windows 7 .. pleast help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If everything was working fine sometime ago and this issue has started recently only then you can try system restore. Click start,type system restore in the search section just above start, choose a restore date when system was working fine and perform the restore..

If the above suggestion doesn't work then try this:

Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database
1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.

2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Download this handy free application from Windows Club. It should solve your problems.

Rebuild corrupt icon cache with Icon Cache Rebuilder

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Source: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I would also add that nowadays (with 7 and/or Vista) you ain't always looking at "icons", especially if you are in the large category (ooh! Matron!!) view.
You'll be looking at "images (of icons)" instead.

You need to delete the thumbnails cache as well (thank the lord it's now centralised instead of thumbs.db all over the place a.k.a XP).

So go to your System Drive and run the Disk Cleanup to clear the thumbnails cache (C :, right click it, select Properties, Disk Cleanup and make sure thumbnails is ticked). Re-boot (most important).

That covers all options with the above tips about your icon cache.

If you still have problems then get in touch, it's not just an "icon viewing" issue.

Last edited:
Hi Elmer..

Thanks for your post..

Unfortunately it didn't work for me!
I also tried all the above :(

Any other ideas?

It all happened when I managed to recover lost files, and tried to open the recovered folders- When I clicked on the folder from Recuva, list of online file openers came up. I chose one of them and then found all my start menu gone white!

Your help is so much appreciated ..

Thanks
Koraki

Koraki,
This is a 4 years old thread.
You really should have started a new thread for yourself so that you can specify your issue instead of piggy-backing someone's, because you may have a different issue than the original poster.

Assuming you are using Win 7 and you have relatively similar problem as the original poster......
See if rebuilding your icon cache will help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html
Use Option One. It is easier.

Back