Windows 7 all your picture are belong to us

Porgy_Tirebiter

I really liked the desktop pictures (themes) when I first installed 7, but since its beta and we're supposed to be trying to break it....I mean we're s'posed to be trying our favorites softwares on it I tried a registry cleaning tool from uniblue.
It "cleaned" up all those themes and how!
Now I can't even add any new themes...well, actually I can add 'em, but they don't work.
The colors of the windows change, but the background picture stays black.
I can put individual pictures on as backgrounds, but the moving/changung theme pix won't play nice.

BTW, I have run the "restore your registry" thing to no avail.

You're not supposed to be 'trying to break it'.

You should be trying to work with it, and reporting what does not work.

Using a registry cleaning tool that is not designed for W7 is simply asking for trouble that can not be resolved.

This is probably the stupidest thread I have seen on this board.

You're not supposed to be 'trying to break it'.

You should be trying to work with it, and reporting what does not work.

Using a registry cleaning tool that is not designed for W7 is simply asking for trouble that can not be resolved.

This is probably the stupidest thread I have seen on this board.

Yeah, right. Listen here Mr. Smartypants, the agreement we agreed to said we should use it like "normal", install the programs on it as we would our "regular" PC's. The average man-on-the-street Windoze user is going to "break" it. The uber-geeks at Microsoft need to know as much as we beta-goobers can tell 'em!

I have a PC I built just for testing software on. It's the one I put 7 on. (I put XP x64 on it before that and Vista home, then Ultimate before that...) I'm adding all the software I bought for XP Pro. Why? Because that's what the average consumer will do too. I know Mr. Gates, et al wants everyone to buy new software, but the average Joe ain't about to plunk down 2 months salary on anything that doesn't help him wash his car while he's driving at home to work.

In closing, I hope instead of you tossing ad hominems, you'll consider tossing some clues, 'cause I sure could use one!

its funny you mention uniblue, ive just been round a friends to help out and he had that program on his machine,
annnnnd it was the first thing i deleted as he'd got it off a banner ad which i found waaay to suspicious to leave it on.

so i installed ccleaner to replace it, and it immediately found a bunch of registry errors whilst uniblue only said he had 8.
might i suggest you do the same?

to get the changing picture ones working you click the browse above and then navigate to a folder with pictures in,
if you want to test it i guess you could put other file types in there aswell like avi, mp3, zip, exe etc...

Keeps me in business! - "Because that's what the average consumer will do too." :D

I can understand the frustration some people have about the "WHY" factor.. As in WHY did you install that? Why would you do that? Why is common sense so lacking? But you are correct, this is what most people do and then put down MS cause their 3rd party 1987 application won't work in the new OS. Blame MS! LOL>.. Gotta love the way people think..

its funny you mention uniblue, ive just been round a friends to help out and he had that program on his machine,
annnnnd it was the first thing i deleted as he'd got it off a banner ad which i found waaay to suspicious to leave it on.

so i installed ccleaner to replace it, and it immediately found a bunch of registry errors whilst uniblue only said he had 8.
might i suggest you do the same?

Actually, I bought the program to clean up my XP Pro box. It worked well that one time. I've gone ahead and uninstalled it from this Win7 OS box. I was just testing it.

To get the changing picture ones working you click the browse above and then navigate to a folder with pictures in,
if you want to test it i guess you could put other file types in there aswell like avi, mp3, zip, exe etc...
Yeah, but that doesn't work either.
I don't know if this is a "proper bug" but it sure is aggravating!
I see no way, short of reinstalling Windows to fix this. Maybe someone knows a tweak or registry thing I can do. If life was fair, Bill & the guys would make an automatic registry backup thing that ALLOWED the user to restore his registry. (I say allowed bacause of the "feature" in Vista that doesn't allow the user to change his registry.)

Anyway, I fear I wasn't clear in my description of the situation, so I've opted to let some pictures explain better: Pictures

Quote "This is probably the stupidest thread I have seen on this board. "

I am trying hard to understand why you insist in throwing in remarks like this, so often, in your postings.

They are not helpful and invariably lead to bad feelings and unnecessary exchanges in the threads.
You technical input is very welcome, but could you read through your posts before uploading and make an effort to refrain from the personal observations?

Yeah, right. Listen here Mr. Smartypants, the agreement we agreed to said we should use it like "normal", install the programs on it as we would our "regular" PC's. The average man-on-the-street Windoze user is going to "break" it. The uber-geeks at Microsoft need to know as much as we beta-goobers can tell 'em!

I have a PC I built just for testing software on. It's the one I put 7 on. (I put XP x64 on it before that and Vista home, then Ultimate before that...) I'm adding all the software I bought for XP Pro. Why? Because that's what the average consumer will do too. I know Mr. Gates, et al wants everyone to buy new software, but the average Joe ain't about to plunk down 2 months salary on anything that doesn't help him wash his car while he's driving at home to work.

In closing, I hope instead of you tossing ad hominems, you'll consider tossing some clues, 'cause I sure could use one!
OK, here's a clue.

Don't use a reg cleaner designed for an older OS. That is only asking for trouble.
A little thinking should answer the why of it.

OK, here's a clue.

Don't use a reg cleaner designed for an older OS. That is only asking for trouble.
A little thinking should answer the why of it.

I think that the average PC user, will do exactly as I have done and then some. Like some of you, I'm the friend or family member who is called upon constantly to fix the many phuckups created by creative PC use and by those users who believe they are thinking logically when they discover the command prompt and deltree c:\windows because it's taking up too much space, or decide to dispose of all those "useless" .dll files.

I suspect that the folks in Redmond enjoy the input of intelligent engineer-types like you, but they realize that it is the common man who puts food on the table. And it is he (or someone acting like him) who, I suspect, they hope will try using their beta software since if "he" can't make it work, "he" and his fellows won't buy. I'm no marketing maven, but logic dictates that Microsoft wants a product which is as user friendly as possible, and most average users do not, as you suggest, think.

I have the same issue

I stumbled upon this thread hoping to find the answer to, or at least a good discussion of the issue at hand. Instead, I get this. :(

I knew I wasn't the first! I missed the 1st 500 opportunity, so what would make me think I would be the first to have this problem, right?

If an admin could rename this topic to 'Static Black Wallpaper' or something more on topic it would be useful... maybe... possibly... probably... Thx

To continue the discussion, I've tried all of the above plus editing the registry entry for the 'default' wallpaper location to no avail. I've also enabled, and logged in on the administrator account. Still no luck.

I'll be back with a solution soon... that is if no one finds and posts one assessable from Search...

The only change that I have made that could be considered 'unusual' would be changing the User folder location for my personal login. It could be possible, this is where things went wrong. It's also possible a simple system restore will remedy the issue, but I'd rather find the fault than just remedy it.

If you're comfortable backing up your files and using System Restore, it's what I would recommend if you're trying to get most of these sort of issues resolved.

Note:

I am using an Intel P4 3.2Ghz HT
EVGA nVida GeForce 9500GT (drivers from WindowsUpdate)
2G DDR2 RAM
Avast Anti-Virus (latest definitions as up to this date) *Yes, I've tried disabling...
Don't think any other specs are needed... Well... maybe. This one seems to be causing a lot of trouble randomnly on startup...

External Hardrive. In my case, WD250 USB2.0

It could just need another DskChk

Interesting... I can use the sample FlickR program bundled with SmallBasic to change the wallpaper. Maybe because it bypasses any kind of User settings???

Thumbnails are not working when it comes time to browse and choose a wallpaper. After selecting / double-clicking the background remains unchanged.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this thread hoping to find the answer to, or at least a good discussion of the issue at hand. Instead, I get this. :(

I knew I wasn't the first! I missed the 1st 500 opportunity, so what would make me think I would be the first to have this problem, right?

If an admin could rename this topic to 'Static Black Wallpaper' or something more on topic it would be useful... maybe... possibly... probably... Thx

Oh sure man, we'll just redesign the entire interweb for all you noobs. We're ever so sorry our humor isn't to your liking.

My anger aside, the answer to the problem is really simple albeit another typical Micro$oft Clusterphuck: Reinstall Windows7 over the old copy. You'll keep all your installed programs, but lose everything Windoze related (like My Documents) so back it all up first.

Cheers (can I go back to sleep now?)

Actually, I bought the program to clean up my XP Pro box. It worked well that one time. I've gone ahead and uninstalled it from this Win7 OS box. I was just testing it.

Yeah, but that doesn't work either.
I don't know if this is a \"proper bug\" but it sure is aggravating!
I see no way, short of reinstalling Windows to fix this. Maybe someone knows a tweak or registry thing I can do. If life was fair, Bill & the guys would make an automatic registry backup thing that ALLOWED the user to restore his registry. (I say allowed bacause of the \"feature\" in Vista that doesn't allow the user to change his registry.)

Anyway, I fear I wasn't clear in my description of the situation, so I've opted to let some pictures explain better: Pictures

Why I'm even bothering to answer this thread is beyond me -- but IMO I would not allow any USER program to mess around with the registry DIRECTLY. AT ALL. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

I would allow certain legitimate registry functions to be used via a proper interface call through a Windows API such as licensing, serial numbers etc etc, but all these would have to be done via the API.

Allowing inexperienced users to just type REGEDIT and then mess around is just asking for trouble especially when people can't even bother to back up their OWN data properly.

If you break something that really shouldn't be touched you can't blame Microsoft (although I would build a bit more protection into the OS if I were designing it).

the trouble is these days you get a few people who play around with computers for a couple of months and then think they have a Ph.d in Computer Science.

Cheers
jimbo

I didn't realize anyone was complaining :confused:. But if someone is, then 'yeah, what he said' :cool:

This is the most fun I've had with Windows in a long time.

Why I'm even bothering to answer this thread is beyond me --

Yes, it's beyond me as well.
but IMO I would not allow any USER program to mess around with the registry DIRECTLY. AT ALL. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Why Jimbo? Do you imagine the rest of us are just plain too st0opid to be able to handle the intricacies of the mean old computers and we should all leave these complicated machines to Experts like you? (He wouldn't allow! Jeez.)
I would allow certain legitimate registry functions to be used via a proper interface call through a Windows API such as licensing, serial numbers etc etc, but all these would have to be done via the API.
Well all razzing aside, thank Bill, Microsoft doesn't agree.
Allowing inexperienced users to just type REGEDIT and then mess around is just asking for trouble especially when people can't even bother to back up their OWN data properly.
Oh the NOIVE! How dare people who actually buy a computer be allowed to manipulate their software as they see fit!
I'll have you know I was typing REGEDIT and fiddling with my 3.0 box before the beginning and enjoying every minute of it! Good thing I had the 13 floppies and could *gasp* reinstall Windows without the help of some pocket-protected geek wearing highwater slacks!
If you break something that really shouldn't be touched you can't blame Microsoft (although I would build a bit more protection into the OS if I were designing it).

Why we certainly can! And we will! We are those dad-blamed consumers who, like it or not, pay your salaries. Were it not for our fumbling and bumbling nobody would even need a GUI and we'd all still be snapping our buggy whips in BASIC on Vic20's.
the trouble is these days you get a few people who play around with computers for a couple of months and then think they have a Ph.d in Computer Science.
I know I don't have a Ph.d in Computer Science! I have a real job making real things that people actually want and need. Computers for me (and most consumers) are strictly for recreational purposes.

I think the problem is that people get degrees in Computer Science and labor under the mistaken impression that they're smart and that what they do actually matters.
They even go so far as to get on the interwebs and imagine anyone cares what their opinions are.

Bad Computer Scientist, no caffeine.

Porgy

I didn't realize anyone was complaining :confused:. But if someone is, then 'yeah, what he said' :cool:

This is the most fun I've had with Windows in a long time.

Gee Mr. V, Maybe I was harsh with you. But I concur. There's nothing more fun than acting like John Q. Everyman and trying to make Windows do things the creators of it never imagined anyone would do.

In spite of whats-his-name, I really get off on fooling around in the innerds of Windoze and mucking about in the registry. I just Wish Bill & the gang would make Vista/Windoze7 so we could change the registry like we can in XP.

Last edited:
Hi Guys -- I actually trained as a plumber and Gas Engineer -- not a computer scientist -- and I've seen FIRST hand what happens when people mess around with stuff in an unpredictable, inexpert and incorrect manner.

I'm certainly not suggesting people can't fiddle around with Windows -- why not -- but for Internal OS calls what's wrong in using a properly well designed and functional API to minimize risk of "Breaking it".

If you use a product "outside the licensing agreement" (and actually most registry hacks are in violation of the EULA) then my point here is you can't blame the manufacturer (in this case Microsoft) if the product breaks.

If you enjoy fiddling around with it (there's always a way round anyway) go ahead but as in all these things it's at YOUR risk not Microsoft's.

My main complaint with the thread comes from people who DON'T know what they are doing and then blame everybody else for the problems.

If people want to learn then by all means tinker with the innards of Windows -- but take a backup BEFORE so if it does break you can restore it again to the state it was in before you tampered with it.

If you think Windows "isn't fit for purpose" you can always refuse the EULA and get your money back.

You definitely misunderstood the drift of the post -- if you DO tinker then all I am saying please know what you are doing and if it DOES break then it isn't microsoft's responsibilty.

Take Cars for instance -- there's a correct way and a stupid incorrect way to fix / supercharge / modify them. If you were to open the Gas filler cap and shove a whole lot of SUGAR into the Gas tank could you blame BMW / Mercedez etc etc when your engine at best siezes up or at worst blows up in your face.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
edit: I couldn't stand to look at my good morning post anymore. The grammar mistakes were just too outlandish no to edit

I ended up just backing up everything and re-installing.

I had invoices to print out. Otherwise I would have tinkered more until I learned something new about dynamic links, or something of the sort. For those of us who don't live in big metropolitan ereas or have family with extensive technical knowledge, tinkering and making mistakes is what teaches us. Some complain, some tinker, some just immediately re-install. I tinker.

It was obviously a bug, as it happened to me after changing the default user folder (the option to do so comes installed into the OS), and using Microsoft SmallBasic....

not MrMalware SmallBasic...

Microsoft SmallBasic, to change the background image using FlickR. The FlickR program was located in the 'Samples' folder.

Everything is back to 'normal' now. I'm still impressed by the beta's stability

Happy Beta... er Testing?

Last edited:
(and actually most registry hacks are in violation of the EULA).

That's not entirely true. I used to work in the IT department for our locaql library. Microsoft sent us to Seattle for training on our public access computers and they showed us how to use registry editor to apply more tweaks and restrictions because group policy did not have al the options we wanted to enable or disable.

Back
Top Bottom