Windows 7 Alps pointing device

rien

I have a desk top win 7 computer wth an acer motherboard. Using a USB logitech optical mouse.

Device manager shows "ALPS POINTING DEVICE" with a yellow asterisk. Updating the driver fails and shows (code 24). It also shows it is not properly installed. Do I really need this device and can it be disabled.

Hello and welcome back to the forum.

The ALPS pointing device is commonly found in many notebook computers. It is simply a driver suite that controls the touchpad on such PC's. If you have a desktop computer, it is absolutely safe to uninstall this. You may also want to select "Also delete driver software" when uninstalling via Device Manager.

Hope this helps.

At some point in time, somehow a laptop app (Alps Pointing Device) has gotten onto your desktop. Many PC types have both desktop and laptop models of the same model number. Perhaps someone chose wrong at some point in time. As Mitchell states this should be able to be uninstalled with no adverse reactions. The Alps app is for the touchpad device on a laptop. The Logitech Mouse software is most likely called Setpoint or something similar.

Thanks for the quick replies
I shall now remove the Alps pointing device

Jack

Back
Top Bottom