Windows 7 Annoying pop-up: “Do You Want To Scan And Fix Removable Disk”

allesok

A webpage in the Internet describes a way to get rid of this unnecessary and disturbing pop-up whenever you connect an external drive. It is to disable the service Shell Hardware Detection. I did, but the pop-up still comes occasionally.

Is there a more effective way?

Yes, that's what I meant. I was kinda hoping you'd forgot to disable the startup! ;)
How many different drives trigger the dialog? How often? Have you tried manually running a chkdsk /f on the disk?
Have you tried manually disabling autoplay on all drives? Try disabling it via gpedit. Instructions here: Disable Autorun / Autoplay In Windows 8 & Windows 7
Apparently the dialog box appears when you have autorun enabled and explorer finds a dirty flag. Autorun should already be disabled, but then I can't explain why the dialog still appears. Try disabling autorun specifically and let's see if the message still appears!

I sort of thought that autoplay should be disabled, too. I have now done it, and then we will see. It anyway happened with less external drives after disabling that service, but it still happened.

Yes, in theory autoplay should have been disabled, but since the message is still showing up something must still be running.
Either that or I'm missing something.

Hope it helps!

Seems to be one of those annoying "nuisance wares". Pop-ups are prevented by your browser, they're not actually connected to your DVD player. Disabling / enabling stuff in Windows will hardly help. Pop-ups can tell you anything like, Have you renewed your fishing rod?​ And that doesn't mean you even own one!

Which browser are you using? You should go in the settings / options and disable / prevent pop-ups.

Shell Hardware Detection is disabled, autorun/autoplay turned off. And still the pop-up comes when I attach an external hard disk.

By the way, it has nothing to do with a browser, only with Windows 7. I hope that there will be still something else that can be done, except performing the scan. I know from experience that such a scan can mess up data I don't want to risk to loose. And when the external disk works without problems, the scan is really unnecessary.

Is this only one drive showing this behavior, and do you use it on other computers?

I will move flash drives from system to system, but I have dedicated external drives for each system to hold system image backups and other important data.

I have two external disks that I mainly use for Win7. I used them earlier for XP on another computer and I maybe used it also for the XP partition in the new computer some time ago (don't remember now). (I have XP, Win7 and Linux Mint in 3 partitions.)

The pop-up seems not to come anymore with USB sticks.

I am not really sure what Windows 7 checks for, or what another OS might change on an external drive to cause a scan message to pop up. I assume it is some type of security check.

I will tell you, when dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8, I got the same type of messages for the internal drives when I would use them with the other OS. But only under certain circumstances, the best I can remember.

It will be a kind of security check, but the thing is that it should - must - be possible to choose if you want to have it, or not!
1. If the external drive runs without problems, you don't want to scan, because
2. it COULD happen that the scan messes up files on your drive.
3. Therefore you don't want to have a situation where you happen click to scan by mistake...
If something doesn't work as it should with the drive, then you can always run a scan, anyway.
For that you need no pop-up...

Back