Another issue I've had since the update...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi everyone...

I use Chrome for my browser, and I always use AdBlock, I have the Startup Instruction to just open my Comcast Home Page. It recently opens the Comcast Page but also an additional page, on top of it.

It also opens a random page when I click pretty much any link on the page I'm working on. It often opens a page selling Windows, not the kind with the big W, the kind you put in your wall.

But it opens other windows selling products as well.

It clearly has instructions to only open the Xfinity window. I don't get pop-ups, just full pages that I didn't ask for.

Does anyone know what's going on?

All I have to do is close the window, but it's annoying. This stuff all seemed to start about the time of the Windows update.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Based on the information you have provided, it appears that your computer might be infected with some kind of malware or spyware. It is not uncommon for malware to be bundled with free software downloads, which can then install unwanted pop-ups or browser redirects.

Here are a few things that you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Run a malware scan: It is recommended that you run a full system scan using a reliable anti-malware software, such as Malwarebytes or Windows Defender. This should help identify and remove any malware or spyware that might be causing the issue.

2. Check your browser extensions: Check your Chrome browser extensions and disable any that you don't recognize. You can also try disabling AdBlock to see if it might be causing the issue.

3. Reset your browser: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, try resetting your Chrome browser to its default settings. This will remove any unwanted extensions or toolbars and restore the browser to its original state.

4. Update Windows: Ensure that your Windows operating system is up-to-date with the latest security patches and updates.

If the issue persists even after following the above steps, it is recommended that you seek further assistance from a qualified technician or a support forum.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hi, I seem to have gotten control of this by deleting a lot of things that Chrome was running as extensions, I've run every malware scan I've got and not found anything but Google seems to have lost its memory to some extent. For instance, when I logged in here, it had forgotten my password and I had to look it up and put it in again.

I don't know how I got all those extensions active. Most didn't sound like anything I needed to use. I'm still running AdBlock.

But at least for now, it's stopped opening new pages for no reason. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Back