Extraordinary Member
OK, I have a slightly different symptom of the same problem - W7 talking to XP
XP desktop wired net with printer
W7 laptop - wireless net
Dlink wireless router

Both can access the inet
neither see one another
printer and file sharing enabled on both
W7 cannot see printer on XP -- cannot see XP period.
XP cannot see W7

workgroups the same name on both
Drives shared on XP
drives shared with everyone - full control on W7
top level folders shared with everyone -- read/write on W7

What am I missing??????????????

Hi ruggb,
this link might prove helpful: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Check and make sure these Services are Started on all Computers
Workstation
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Computer Browser
Make sure Network Discovery is turned on, on the Win 7 machines
Make sure file and printer sharing is enable on both and that local firewalls are supporting it. (Temporarily disable Windows Firewall all machines)
Temporarily uninstall any third party firewalls or Internet Security Suites that may include some type of Firewall applet. (You can always reinstall later.)
Make sure NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled in the properties of IPv4 on you network. And temporarily disable IPv6.
Start run services.msc Look for Bonjour service and temporarily set it to manual or disable and stop same with mdnsresponder. Also check services near the top for a peculiar string containing numbers and or special characters (something like this "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##"), disable and stop

Thanks Kemical Trouble...........
other than disabling ip6 and Windoz firewall on the W7 machine I believe everything else is set -
I could be wrong but that network is not currently available to me.

What in the list of things suggested would prevent either computer from even seeing the other, once it is connected to the inet thru the router???
I can understand not being able to communicate with the other, but neither are even aware that the other exists.

Is there a router config that would do that???

Hmm..... you haven't got any security features running that could be blocking the connection by any chance?

Assuming that they are both connected to the same router the only thing that could be blocking them is something interfering with their respective netbios information. Computer name conflicts is common, disparate work group names, improperly configured subnets, etc. But the most likely cause is third party software, firewalls and or internet security suites that act like firewalls. As I said earlier you need to uninstall them. If you can ping them by ip address but not by name then something is blocking netbios, or the netbios cache is corrupt or non existent. If the windows 7 firewall was tinkered with at all, then turn it off also until you get your network issues sorted out.

Assuming that they are both connected to the same router the only thing that could be blocking them is something interfering with their respective netbios information. Computer name conflicts is common, disparate work group names, improperly configured subnets, etc. But the most likely cause is third party software, firewalls and or internet security suites that act like firewalls. As I said earlier you need to uninstall them. If you can ping them by ip address but not by name then something is blocking netbios, or the netbios cache is corrupt or non existent. If the windows 7 firewall was tinkered with at all, then turn it off also until you get your network issues sorted out.

Could be the dreaded norton app... lol

Back