Windows 7 Anti Virus and anti Malware

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
I notice Windows 7 has an anti virus app named Microsoft Security Essentials. Does anyone have an idea how this compares with Eset NOD32? I have used Eset in the past and have been satisfied, but if the Microsoft app is as good, I will just stick with it. I also have Malwarebytes installed. When I click on a file. the menu includes offers to scan from both Microsoft and Malwarebytes.

Thanks for any insight, Jim

Hello Jim.
I'm a big fan of Eset products, probably one of the best commercial (Paid For) products available, rivaled only (possibly) by Kaspersky. If you have a current license for the product I would definitely keep using it.
The Microsoft offering, on the other hand is a free product available for XP Sp3 and above and likely to be bundled in Windows 8 out of the box. I haven't seen any definitive studies comparing Link Removed due to 404 Error head to head with the other more commonly known products but I have been using it since it first became available and have been more than happy with my results. Small footprint as well as easy on system resources and again it's free, hard to beat free. But if I was pressed I would still have to bet that Eset is the superior product, it's their bread and butter and pretty much all they do, so I would expect it to continue to be a great piece of software for anti-virus and smart security.
Also really like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, just purchased their pro version, have used their free product for years.
Just one persons opinion.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
Great question, Jim.

I have looked @ research, studies, tests and have tried various securities, 1st hand & have had clients w/ various securities or resultant scenarious. Have also, know their experience before & after what I suggest below & what they had prior.

1st, absolutely, Malwarebytes. Fine, fine product, free or paid.
I heartily recommend MSE simply & solely cus is very good. + it'sfree, automated & requires no renewing, annual new keys or... it's not a recourse hog, either. Plays well w/ Windows Firewall.

As an aside, I use the above (happily) & I put same in all machines I build or service for my clients... and (always) liked by End Users.

Regards,
Drew
Pres. CLink Removed - Invalid URL
Clients Welcome

Thanks for the replies!

Since I have a paid license for Eset for another six months, do you think there would be a conflict if I had both Security Essentials and Eset running at the same time?

Thanks, Jim

Thanks for the replies!

Since I have a paid license for Eset for another six months, do you think there would be a conflict if I had both Security Essentials and Eset running at the same time?
Thanks, Jim

Very often there is, although I could not say for sure, I would not run two Anti-Virus products simultaneously.

Yes, absolutely there would be. Never have more than one (1) security or pieces thereof, never. Either, sacrifice the remainder or switch to MSE @ the end of your paid term. If, it was Norton, MacAfee or a few others I'd really urge it do be done now. It's your choice, personally, I'd say, do it now but... Anyway, never more than 1 @ the same time.

Same applies to software firewalls, by the way.

This does not apply to malware utilities like Defender and Malwarebytes, for example.

Cheers,
Drew
Pres. Link Removed - Invalid URL
Clients Welcome

I notice Windows 7 has an anti virus app named Microsoft Security Essentials. Does anyone have an idea how this compares with Eset NOD32? I have used Eset in the past and have been satisfied, but if the Microsoft app is as good, I will just stick with it. I also have Malwarebytes installed. When I click on a file. the menu includes offers to scan from both Microsoft and Malwarebytes.

Thanks for any insight, Jim

Hi Jim:

I know I'm months behind on this reply; but I noticed that no one has mentioned Emsisoft Anti-Maleware in this thread. It is compatable with MSE! I have it running on a tower unit at our home! EAM has incredible detection and is light on the system.

MSE is just fine. There's a good reason it's Standard Equipment in Windows8. Used it myself & given it to all my clients for a long time, now & no problems w/ it. It's just good & appealing.

Cheers,
Drew

Back