Windows 10 Anybody else miss the Network connection speed information?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I have been look for, but unable to find the information about what speed at which a system was connected to the network.

It used to be on the Network tab of Task Manager, but no longer. It does show what type of connection, such as 802.11n, but not the speed. This info has come in handy in configurations where I thought I had a 1 Gb internet connection, but actually only had a 100 Mb one.

Edit: Oh, I may have found it. Right clicking the speed graph has an option to view network details. In my current configuration it is showing my wireless a 144 Mbps...

Last edited:
You can also find it the old fashioned way....from the control panel/network and internet/network and sharing and then click on "change adapter settings" and then right click the adapter and select status.

Ok, thanks. I am currently trying to decide if I should use one SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on my AC router or separate them. It is nice being able to set which band a certain device connects with, but not sure if I would see any speed increase if I combined the bands.

Well, something I can test while we wait for the new build... ;)

The new build I refer to is the Preview build. Since it appears the RTM will be on July 12th, maybe we will get the latest one about two weeks before that. Or next week as Kemical is predicting.

I changed the name on the SSID to the same for both 5 and 2.4 GHz and it appears the systems defaulted to the 5 GHz and the speeds were the same as that. They were not additive so I will leave them with different SSIDs.

Thanks Again..

You have a link to the release dates for windows 10....all I can find is the July 29th date for us insiders.

It isn't a release date but the date, possibly, the build will be sent to Manufacturing in preparation for the public release.

Hmm if netsh still works the same you can do "netsh wlan show interfaces" to see the Radio type in use as well as data rate and BSSID which can be useful when troubleshooting complex networks or multiple radio frequencies. Not in front of any of my Windows 10 machines at the moment so can't test it on 10, but I doubt netsh has changed much.

Hmm if netsh still works the same you can do "netsh wlan show interfaces" to see the Radio type in use as well as data rate and BSSID which can be useful when troubleshooting complex networks or multiple radio frequencies. Not in front of any of my Windows 10 machines at the moment so can't test it on 10, but I doubt netsh has changed much.
Thanks for the info. I was looking for a simple "at a glance" way to get the info as was done in prior OSes, but using the right click or Status options will work fine. If I need more detailed info, I will go with your suggestion.

I have been using the speed data quite a bit lately. I just got my ISP Speed upgrade to 50 Mbps and have been checking the connections for my wireless devices. I have seen advertised speeds of 144 Mbps for 2.4 Ghz wireless, all the way up to 725 Mbps for a 5.o Ghz AC wireless adapter. Actual speeds, of course, vary but the higher speeds give streaming video a better chance of being smooth.

Thanks again..

Back