Anyone know if you can install Windows 7 dual boot with Windows 8 after Windows 8 is installed.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Software' started by MikeHawthorne, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

That's my question, can I install Windows 7 on my Windows 8 computer in dual boot?
    I might do that if it's not a hassle.

Mike

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

No problem.

3. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

It is easy enough. But if you install it second, it will create the legacy boot manager, and not the new Windows 8 manager. What I do, when needed, is make an image of Windows 8. fwiw, I use Acronis. I then install Windows 7 on a second partition, and reinstate my Windows 8 image - best of both worlds.
    But, maybe digressing, if you use the legacy Desktop in Windows 8, it has all the functions of Windows 7 and, with the addition of a third party Start menu, is little different in operation or appearance, from Windows 7. You then have the best of both worlds, without the need to reboot.

1 person likes this.
  4. MikeHawthorne

Thanks Guys

I remembered that installing Windows XP after Windows 7 was a problem and wan't sure that something like that wouldn't happen installing Windows 7 after 8.

Mike

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Hey davehc, I was thinking a good vid tutorial of what you have here would be very beneficial to those that would like to try that.

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member

Would you be using UEFI or Bios to install?

1 person likes this.
  7. DonC

DonC New Member

No problem. I have it installed on 2 computers -- a desktop and laptop.

Use EasyBCD to edit the boot manager. Letting Win8 set it up results in much slower bootup and selection. It's almost like Win 8 boots first and afterwards asks you to select a boot option. If you pick Win7, it appears your system fully reboots into 7. Klutzy!

1 person likes this.
  8. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member

When you finish getting it set up Mike, try running using the Recovery options just to make sure they work.

You can get the Windows 8 boot GUI back by booting to the Windows 8 install media and doing a bootrec /rebuildbcd command. If you decide to do that, there is one other correction that may be necessary.

I just did an install as you suggest, and a Windows 8 Restart was taking a long time...

I still like having parallel installs so I can use the boot device menu to select, but I have UEFI...

9. MikeHawthorne

Thanks for the help guys.
    I haven't decided for sure that I'm going to do this, I'll have to buy a Windows 7 install disk.
    But I'm tempted.

I was looking at the disks on Amazon and they have what looks like the same thing at widely varying prices.
    I assume that this is what I need?

Windows 7 Install Disk.JPG

I should have bought an extra copy when I could buy them for 39.95.

Mike

10. Drew

Drew Banned

Mike, you can get the $40 Upgrades til the end of January & up to a max of 5.

I have multi-booted a lot! @ least, every time I've beta tested forthcoming OSs for MS. Yes, you can put 7 w/ 8, no problem, @ all. I just want to mention, I have never had to use EasyBCD or anything like it. Had one OS, then installed the next on another drive, had a boot choice screen, done, end of story, that's it, that's all. Never any fussing about w/ Boots or the like, just simple & straight-forward, not the least bit complex or needing any special tools or utilities. Removing 1 was just as much a non-event... formatted its drive, finish, back to 1 OS... nothing else involved.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.

11. MikeHawthorne

I started having 2 operating systems installed starting with Windows 3.1.
    And both of them were Windows 3.1.

Windows 3.1 was so unstable and prone to crashing that I kept 2 independent copies installed so when one of them crashed I would boot into the other one and use it to remove and re-install the first one.

I'm guessing that I'll have to have a non upgrade disk to install Windows 7 in addition to 8.
    And are you talking about a Windows 7 upgrade disk for $40?

Mike

#11 MikeHawthorne, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013