Windows 7 Application: Classic Shell

And if we are forced to go on Windows 8,which I hope never happens.

You won't be forced to buy Windows 8. New machines will have it but it's always been that way. I do find it bizarre how you seem to dislike windows 8 and it's not even in beta yet.
I'm looking forward to windows 8 personally as it'll be something new to play with.

Last edited:
But in England they have already stopped selling Windows XP and Windows Vista computers and laptops. And most shops now only have Windows 7. Unless you are lucky to find an old stock laptop that is left over in the store from last year that they cannot sell.

But I think that they should not have stopped selling Windows XP or Windows Vista as a lot of people like it and still want to use it,even though they have Windows 7. All three versions of Windows,Windows XP,Windows Vista, and Windows 7 are good. But this Windows 8,if they make it like they say they are going to,I will not know how to use it. It looks very confusing and complicated, and also ugly and not like Windows.

But if Windows 8 looked and was like Windows 7,then that's different,I would not mind using it. But Windows 7 was only brought out 2 years ago, and I and everybody else likes it. As it is very user friendly, more so than Windows XP, and we have gotten used to it. So we do not need another version of Windows. Or if they do put out Windows 8,at least give us a choice, and let us still be able to buy a Windows 7 computer or laptop in the shops. Andrea Borman.

But in England they have already stopped selling Windows XP and Windows Vista computers and laptops. And most shops now only have Windows 7. Unless you are lucky to find an old stock laptop that is left over in the store from last year that they cannot sell.

But I think that they should not have stopped selling Windows XP or Windows Vista as a lot of people like it and still want to use it,even though they have Windows 7. All three versions of Windows,Windows XP,Windows Vista, and Windows 7 are good. But this Windows 8,if they make it like they say they are going to,I will not know how to use it. It looks very confusing and complicated, and also ugly and not like Windows.

But if Windows 8 looked and was like Windows 7,then that's different,I would not mind using it. But Windows 7 was only brought out 2 years ago, and I and everybody else likes it. As it is very user friendly, more so than Windows XP, and we have gotten used to it. So we do not need another version of Windows. Or if they do put out Windows 8,at least give us a choice, and let us still be able to buy a Windows 7 computer or laptop in the shops. Andrea Borman.

It doesn't matter if people like Windows XP it's time is up as technology moves on. Vista has been dropped so soon as it was a flop. If I was in the market for a laptop I'd be horrified if they were still trying to sell windows xp or vista on them. With all things in IT, things move and change rapidly. You don't have to upgrade and move with the times but some of us do and enjoy doing so.

Ummmm, 7 has the menu bar in it. By default it is hidden, and to bring it up you have to press the alt key. So in reality it didn't put anything into the Explorer window. By the look of your desktop, you have the themes service disabled, so its not really called a theme, its just the Windows Manager running. Either way running Aero will most likely bog your systems down way too much any way. Also, we disproved the theory that Widows 8 doesn't have a start menu already. Did you watch that video again? It is right there. I even told you where to look to find it. I guess I will tell you again. 3/4 of the way through the video, he brings up Excel 2010. If you look at the bottom of the screen, there is the task bar and start button. He doesn't open it, but it is there. I am thinking that the tiles thing is a secondary application that runs on top of the standard desktop. Or the other option could be, that the tiles are the standard 8 interface, then the 7 desktop can be added as a secondary interface. So it would be the 8 interface, then one of the tiles is the 7 interface, that loads modules and .dll for running applications that run on 7. Then this is the part that would rock, have a third option, XP interface as well. So you can run all three interfaces at the same time. With some shared modules and .dlls, but for the most part they are independent of each other. So basically it would be like running a Virtual XP and 7, inside 8. That would be a really good reason to include Hyper-V in a workstation version of the OS. It would be so amazing if Microsoft did that. The new OS from Microsoft....Windows 8 Hyper-Visor Tablet Ultimate Operating XPerience Ultra Aero Dynamic System 64 Bit Improved 2013....LMAO try saying that three times fast LMAO

Windows 7 is very good and Windows XP is also Good. And Windows XP is not dead,it is very much alive and still used by many people and so is Windows Vista along with Windows 7. I have started a thread about Windows XP here on this site.See here-http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/67198-using-windows-xp-now-2011-windows-7-user.html

In England, they only stopped selling Windows XP in December 2010,which is not very long ago. But this time last year, the shops had a lot of Windows XP and Windows Vista laptops,mostly Netbooks. So there was no problem buying it then but now it is very difficult to find a Windows XP or Windows Vista laptop or Netbook. But I was very lucky to find 2 brand new Windows XP Netbooks,that were the last in the store.

As for virtual machine, 2 of my Netbooks have Windows 7 Professional,so I can run virtual box. But when I tried it I could not figure out how to use virtual box,so that is out. Some people if they want Windows XP will just install it over their Windows 7 on their Windows 7 computer.That is a computer that comes with Windows 7 when you bought it. From what I read about this installing Windows XP or Windows Vista on your Windows 7 computer,it involves wiping Windows 7 off the hard drive and installing Windows XP over it. The end result is that Windows 7 will be replaced with Windows XP or Windows Vista.

But it is not that simple. First of all I do not know how to install Windows XP over my Windows 7,I do not know how to do it. And I only have Netbooks with no CD drive, although I could buy one and plug it into my Netbook. But I do not have a Windows XP CD and from what I read,Microsoft are not selling Windows XP or Windows Vista CDs. And you must have a valid copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista for it to work. As you have to activate Windows within 30 days or it goes into restricted mode. So you cannot just download Windows XP or Windows Vista and mount it on virtual clone drive like you can with Linux. You have to have a valid Windows XP or Windows Vista CD. And then you have to know what you are doing or you can mess up your computer.

So I did the easiest thing and the only thing I know, and that is to buy a Windows XP Netbook,which I did. The 2 Windows XP Netbooks,one a Acer Netbook,the other one an MSI Wind Netbook are all right. But I would have preferred to have Windows XP on one of my HP Netbooks,as it has more space,250 GB on the hard drive. But the problem is that I do not know how to install Windows XP on my Windows 7 Netbooks. And if I tried it,I am sure I would mess up my computer.

So there for if the time came when they stopped making Windows 7 and only sold Windows 8 laptops,and I needed a new laptop. Which I hope never happens,I would be forced to buy Windows 8. And I would not be able to install Windows 7 or Windows XP over Windows 8,as I don't know how to do this. And as I only have Netbooks,I don't have a Windows 7 CD. So when things go wrong in my Windows 7 or Windows XP operating system and they cannot be put right with system restore. I have to do a restore to factory condition recovery. Every Netbook has a setting that restores your computer to factory settings,so you don't have to reinstall Windows.

As for the Windows 7 toolbar in Windows Explorer.Well,I thought that the text on the top left and left side,where it says file,edit tools,as you can see in the picture was the toolbar. The large icons on the top right hand side of Windows Explorer is the classic toolbar buttons from Classic Shell. But they do the same thing as the Windows 7 toobar text on the left hand side. So I think the Classic Shell toolbar is just a decoration to make Windows Explorer look like it does in Windows 2000. But it does not really,and also by default the folders in Windows 7 are very small. But you can set them to medium or large size to make them easier to see and you can rename Documents, to My Documents and Pictures, to My Pictures,like it is called on Windows XP. Andrea Borman.

Oh for the love of God and all that is holy, there you go with the 16 mile long posts and 15.5 of it is useless. 7 is good, but not perfect, XP is good but not perfect. People still running Vista either don know any better, or do so little on their computer that it doesn't matter that OS they are running.

Awwwwww sad face...Its not just England that is not selling XP/Vista computers any more. Its a fact of life, computer technology moves on. Just have to deal with it.

So if you couldn't figure out how to run Virtual Box, how do you know it runs? Installing the Virtual Box software and running a virtual OS are separate. With those netbooks I doubt that you have enough resources left over after starting your host machine to run a guest machine. Then you keep saying that you don't know how to install Windows on your computer. So that is another good reason why you couldn't run Virtual Box, you need an install for another OS. The problem with replacing your original OS is going to be drivers. I think I have said this before, you need drivers for older OSes, and are usual not supported by the manufacture. This means that the manufacture doesn't make them for older OSes. This is the part that a lot of people over look, research. You have to do your research and find the answers before you do a drastic move like that. System restore is for people that have no technical abilities and want to look cool in front of their friends. I get rid of my restore partition when I get a cookie cutter computer. I download a copy of Windows off the internet, not hacked or cracked or edited in any way, and install with that, using my key code. I have friends all over, and with my 7 I obtained a copy of a read disk from a returned to the store copy, minus the COA and keycode. Though since I had my own, it didn't matter.

I know I have said this before, NETBOOKS ARE NOT A PERMANENT SOLUTION. Out of date hardware is not going to last you a very long time. I don't care if you bought them a year ago, a month ago, or even an hour ago. Out of date hardware is just that, OUT OF DATE. If a person goes out and buys a $300 monkey turd, it is still a monkey turd. The only difference is that person was and idiot for paying $300 for it. The same idea goes along with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenarioscenario, if you go out and buy a cheap netbook, you get what you pay for. Limited ability, little to no room for expansion and even missing components from that of better computers. Netbooks are a joke, and the only way I see them even being remotely useful are for people that need something really small and mobile or with cloud computing.

The text that you speak of is the menu bar, that is still in 7, like I said just hidden. The icons on the right are, as far as I know, not. Those options are under the organize option, though most people use key strokes for those options. How do you know what 2000 looks like, when you have never used it? Also, in 7 there is a new feature called HomeGroup. It is a networking feature that allows 7 computer connected with other 7 computers to share files, as if they where on the same computer. So in reality, renaming your my documents, goes from Documents>My Documents to My Documents>My Documents. Same goes with Music, Pictures, Videos and Recorded TV.

Oh for the love of God and all that is holy, there you go with the 16 mile long posts and 15.5 of it is useless. 7 is good, but not perfect, XP is good but not perfect. People still running Vista either don know any better, or do so little on their computer that it doesn't matter that OS they are running.

Awwwwww sad face...Its not just England that is not selling XP/Vista computers any more. Its a fact of life, computer technology moves on. Just have to deal with it.

So if you couldn't figure out how to run Virtual Box, how do you know it runs? Installing the Virtual Box software and running a virtual OS are separate. With those netbooks I doubt that you have enough resources left over after starting your host machine to run a guest machine. Then you keep saying that you don't know how to install Windows on your computer. So that is another good reason why you couldn't run Virtual Box, you need an install for another OS.

The text that you speak of is the menu bar, that is still in 7, like I said just hidden. The icons on the right are, as far as I know, not. Those options are under the organize option, though most people use key strokes for those options. How do you know what 2000 looks like, when you have never used it? Also, in 7 there is a new feature called HomeGroup. It is a networking feature that allows 7 computer connected with other 7 computers to share files, as if they where on the same computer. So in reality, renaming your my documents, goes from Documents>My Documents to My Documents>My Documents. Same goes with Music, Pictures, Videos and Recorded TV.

I thought that when you install Virtual Box it provides you with a list of operating systems to choose from and then you just pick from the list and it installs the operating system for you.I did not realise you have to already have another operating system file on your computer.

You said that you just downloaded your copy of Windows from the Internet. But I did not know you can do that. I thought that if you have say,Windows XP and you want to install Windows Vista or Windows 7,you had to buy a Windows CD from Microsoft online and they send it to you in the post. And that you have to install it from the CD you have been sent from Microsoft,that has the version of Windows you have just bought.

I have seen websites that have ISO and torrent files of Windows XP,Windows 2000 and even Windows 7. But they could be pirated copies of Windows(fake versions.)Meaning that if you installed them you could end up with a computer virus or worse. And also when you try to activate Windows it will not activate if it is not a genuine copy of Windows. And as you know if you cannot activate Windows ,after 30 days your copy of Windows goes into restricted mode. So the only way to get Windows XP Windows Vista or Windows 2000 on your Windows 7 computer is-that you must have a valid legal copy of Windows. And you can only get that from Microsoft.But the problems is that on the Microsoft website,it says they are not selling any more Windows XP or Windows Vista CDs. And so where would you get a valid legal copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista now online? So the only way is to buy a Windows XP or Windows Vista computer or laptop like I did. That has Windows XP or Windows Vista pre installed on it just like my Windows 7 Netbooks.

All my Windows Netbooks came with Windows 7 or Windows XP pre installed when I bought them.And on Windows 7 you can just upgrade to a higher version of Windows 7 by using Windows any time upgrade like I did. But that is already on the computer as well,so you don't have to install anything. It would be useful if they had an any time downgrade service where you could just choose Windows XP or Windows Vista the same way you choose a higher version of Windows 7. But they don't have that,but if they did, I would not have had to buy a Windows XP laptop to get Windows XP.

But I don't know how to use virtual box and as you say,I might not have enough room on my Netbook for it. But why install Windows XP in virtual machine,when you can have THE REAL Windows XP on a Windows XP computer like I have got? If you buy a Windows XP computer, then you have got the real Windows XP, and that solves the problem.

But there are not any Windows 2000 computers or laptops in the shops, or I have not seen any. But my next door neighbour told me he has Windows 2000. But he has an older computer bought a few years ago and it is a full sized computer,not a laptop. But I don't know if Windows 2000 would support wireless broadband, but Windows XP does. In fact Windows XP is very modern and very much like Windows 7 in a lot of ways. In fact most people who don't about computers would think that Windows XP was only made a few months ago not in 2001.

Windows Vista,well I have never used it,I have only seen it on You Tube and the Internet. As when I go to Internet cafes,they have got Windows XP not Windows Vista. And none of the Internet cafes I have been to have got Windows 7 yet. I don't know why that is.

And you said about accessing the menu bar with key stokes,but I don't know what keys to press that bring up the sort cuts. I know some of them like pressing the Windows key to bring up the start menu, but not much more. I just access the start menu and toolbars with my mouse. By clicking my mouse on where it says toolbars but I don't know what key strokes do what.

I have also seen other You Tube videos on installing Windows XP on a Windows 7 Netbook from a usb stick but it does not tell you how they got their copy of Windows XP. Maybe they copied the Windows XP operating system from another of their Windows XP computers,with the usb stick and put it on their Windows 7 computer. Can you do that? I suppose I could get a usb stick and copy my Windows XP from my Windows XP Netbook then try to put it on my Windows 7 Netbook. But somehow I don't think it would work. And then there is the problem that Windows won't activate if I did that.

When I installed Linux alongside Windows I just did it by mounting the Linux mint ISO file on virtual clone drive. I found out about this from the How To Geek website. But Windows is different. Andrea Borman.

Andrea if your Windows 7 is the professional edition you can use Windows XP Mode as your netbook probably doesn't have hardware visualization check out

Last edited by a moderator:
But I have already got 2 Windows XP Netbooks with Windows XP Home Edition service pack 3. Which I bought this summer,which were the last in the store. So I have got the real Windows XP. Running Windows XP on virtual box is not the same as having the real Windows XP installed on your computer.

Since they stopped selling Windows XP and Windows Vista in the shops in England,it is very difficult to find a Windows XP or Windows Vista laptop,but there are still some about. I was very lucky to get my 2 Windows XP Netbooks. So I am one of the lucky ones who have got 2 laptops with genuine Windows XP on them,as well as my Windows 7 Netbooks.

I was thinking of getting a Windows Vista laptop,but as it looks so much like Windows 7, and most features are the same as Windows 7. So there is not much point in getting Windows Vista, as it is so much like Windows 7. Also I found out how to add all of the Windows Vista software-such as Windows Mail,Windows Calendar and the Vista sidebar on to Windows 7. See this tutorial here from a man, who in my opinion is a genius, as his ideas all actually work. And I am now running Windows Mail and Windows Calendar on my Windows 7 Netbook. See here-How to Reinstate Windows Mail on Windows 7 by Britec - YouTube

Also he shows you how to downgrade WMP 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 7. See here-Downgrade Windows Media Player 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 7 by Britec - YouTube

This man is a genius, as I have tried a lot of ideas I have read from other tutorials, but none of them worked, but these ones do. Actually I did not install Take Ownership to delete the Windows 7 Windows mail file because I already have Unlocker that deletes anything.And also Take Ownership can be dangerous to use if used in the wrong way. So to reinstate Windows Mail on Windows 7,you just delete the Windows 7s Windows Mail file and then download the Windows Vista Windows Mail file.Which replaces it, and Windows Mail then works on Windows 7, the same way it does on Windows Vista.Except for the fact that I cannot use that email client because I don't know how to use email clients. But that is another story.

Also Mediafire has downloads for both Windows Calendar and the Vista sidebar. So why get Windows Vista when you can run the same software on Windows 7? Andrea Borman.

I kinda get how some may want to install the old windows mail on windows 7. But why on earth would anyone want to downgrade WMP12 to 11 I can't even think of a reason for it as WMP12 does everything 11 does but better.

Actually,I think WMP 12 and WMP 11 look almost the same as one another and are very similar. And if I had my choice I would install WMP 9 ,which is what I have on my Windows XP Netbooks,which is nicer looking than WMP 11 or 12. But it won't let you do that on Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

And I think,but I don't know, that we are able to install WMP 11 on Windows 7 because someone created the dill files from Windows Vista or Windows XP to do it. As I read on a website about running Windows Movie Maker 2.1 for Windows XP on Windows 7. That they got it working on Windows 7 by exporting the dill files on to Windows 7 from Windows XP. So that is how they created an installation file for WMP 11 for Windows 7. But if you download WMP 11 from the Microsoft website,then it is different,as you will get an error message,and it will not let you install it.

With Windows Mail,Windows Calendar and Windows Vista Sidebar,they are all zip files not executable files,so they are easier to install. But the WMP file is a normal download not a zip file,but some one has created a file so that we can install WMP 11 on Windows 7. And I wish they would make one for WMP 9 so we could install that on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

And don't forget on Windows XP you have also got the 2 hidden Windows Media Players-WMP 6.4 and WMP 5.1. For WMP 6.4 type in mplayer2 and for WMP 5.1 type in mplay32 to find them. And both WMP 6.4 and WMP 5.1 run alongside the existing WMP 9 or WMP 10 or 11 if you have upgraded.

But on Windows Vista and Windows 7,they have taken out WMP 6.4 and WMP 5.1. So Windows Vista and Windows 7 users are stuck with WMP 11 or 12,with no option to downgrade.

I could upgrade to WMP 11 on my Windows XP. But why should I when I have already got WMP 11 or 12 on Windows 7? One advantages of having Windows XP is that you can have software that you cannot have on Windows Vista or Windows 7. Although you can have most things on Windows 7,except for WMP 9 and 10 and IE6 or IE7. And Outlook Express. And most people don't want Internet Explorer anyway.

But apart from those few things,everything else you can have on Windows 7. And as Windows Movie Maker 2.6 for Windows Vista is exactly the same as 2.1 for Windows XP. You won't miss not being able to have Windows Movie maker 2.1 on Windows 7. As Windows Movie Maker 2.6 works on Windows 7 and is fully compatible.

There is also Windows Movie Maker 6 for Windows Vista which also works on Windows 7.And can run alongside Windows Movie Maker 2.6. But that is more like Windows Live Movie Maker and not very user friendly,like the original Windows Movie Maker 2.6 is. So if you have not installed Windows Movie Maker 6,don't bother.

But as I have said before,I have got 2 Windows XP Netbooksso I don't need to install Windows XP on virtual box. And if you want Windows XP,it is better to have the real thing,the Windows XP Operating system. Or if you are like me and cannot install operating systems,a Windows XP laptop. Not virtual box,which is not the same thing. Andrea Borman.

But on Windows Vista and Windows 7,they have taken out WMP 6.4 and WMP 5.1. So Windows Vista and Windows 7 users are stuck with WMP 11 or 12,with no option to downgrade.

Why would you need to downgrade media player sorry I just don't get it.

I've noticed a pattern with your posts and you seem to have some strange idea's about computing. Instead of buying 3 netbooks wouldn't a powerful windows 7 netbook\laptop have been better. You could then have run xp mode for any apps that require it and still have all the bells and whistles associated with windows 7. Windows 7 for one is more secure than windows xp.

if you are like me and cannot install operating systems

With your windows 7 machine you could install the OS, all you need is a windows iso from Microsoft which are easily found online, a usb stick and the utility for copying the windows 7 files to the usb stick. All this can be done legitimately.

With your windows 7 machine you could install the OS, all you need is a windows iso from Microsoft which are easily found online, a usb stick and the utility for copying the windows 7 files to the usb stick. All this can be done legitimately.

But according to what I read on the Microsoft website,they are no longer selling Windows XP or Windows Vista. So how would I get a valid Windows XP ISO file? And where on the Internet would I get it from? And also if you cannot validate Windows, or if it fails to validate,which it might do if you downloaded it from a third part website. It goes into restricted mode after 30 days. Andrea Borman.

I was talking about windows 7 on your windows 7 machine. It's true getting a legit windows xp disc would be harder, but not impossible. Have you contacted the makers of you windows xp machines to see if they could supply them for a small fee. You could also check out ebay. :)

You where close to right up to the point that you said it installs if for you. Choosing an OS through the VirtualBox is so that you can get the minimum resources need for that OS, and not try to over burden your system. If you have hardware virtalization then it really doesn't matter, but its is a good base to start from. Then you can add more resources if you want. So looking at hard drive size, RAM size, and even further, like PATA or SATA. The important thing to look at is going to be processor, RAM and Hard drive. After that it is just logistics.

Yea, you are right about that, if the original OS is XP, then you can't download a copy of Vista, that would be an illegal copy on your system. All that matters is that the COA on your machine, matches the Windows version that you are installing. I had a Vista on that machine, and it didn't come with an install disk. I downloaded one off the internet, burned it to disk, and installed it useing my keycode on my COA. That allowed me to install a clean copy of Windows, without the crap that they manufacture wanted me to have. Just Windows none of the stupid and ultimately useless software that my original install had. It is a very good idea to do that on all systems, it will improve the performance a lot.

Activation didn't start until XP, so 2000 will install with out needing to be activated. Even the ones that are pirated doesn't mean they are fake or have viruses, it just means that they don't have to be activated either. If it be through a registry activate or just striping activation out of the OS itself, it is still Windows. Just you didn't pay for it. But the point of some of the installs have viruses and worms, is valid. I'm not advocating Windows piracy, just letting you now how that works. When you get a copy of Windows for a computer, it is not buying Windows, it is buying a key code. The key code allows you to have the right to install and use Windows on a computer. Microsoft never sells software to any one, it is just a license or lease to use it. That is why they can get away with all of a sudden ending support for an OS when ever they want to. You are over your lease, and it is now time to get a new lease, AKA buy a new Windows. It doesn't matter where you get the disk as long as the name is the same, (i. e. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Service Pack 1) if your COA says that and your disk says that, then you can use that disk to install the OS on your computer, and it is legal and legit. Just try not to go over on your activations, it is a pain in the *** to get them to allocate you more activations LoL. Microsoft doesn't make XP CDs or Vista DVDs any more, so you will have to find one that is around. It is going to get harder and harder to find them. Try snagging a COA from a friend that is getting rid of their XP install. That should work fine, just remember the drivers problem, not all computers have drivers for older OSes.

Anytime Upgrade, that is awesome. You figured out the difference in an upgrade and anytime upgrade, kudos. Anytime up grade can only upgrade to a better edition of the same OS, to where upgrades can go from one version to the next higher or so on. The anytime upgrade dose install stuff, just not a lot of stuff. Services here and .dlls there. So you are really close to being completely right about that. Now here is the kicker, you talk about you don't know how to install an OS...BUT YOU HAVE DONE IT ALREADY. Using the anytime upgrade is the same idea as upgrading from say Vista to 7. You do the exact same things, just it takes longer for Vista to 7 and you have to keep cool and let it do it's thing. Downgrading involves formatting and reinstall. That can be a little tricky, but in reality you can do it if you listen to the right people and do it right.

Like I said, on that hardware, visualization is only going to bring your system down to a snail pace. If not crash it all together.

Windows 2000 dose support wireless, you just have to have the drivers for it. I most cases you can use the XP drivers on 2000. They are so close together, that it allows you to install drives from XP on 2000 with out needing any kind of work around.

Vista was really bad about software and hardware support, it sometimes took a IT to get things to work on Vista. It is more of a pain in the *** then it is worth. 7 is a minor update release, so you are right about it being so much like Vista, because it is. The difference is that 7 has better versions of the software than Vista. Also deep stuff like the kernel is changed, and services are added or removed or combined with others, but that is not really important to know unless you are or want to be an IT.

There are a lot of keystrokes (shortcuts) that can do things faster.
Ctrl-a is select all
Ctrl-c is copy
Ctrl-v is paste
Ctrl-z is undo
Ctrl-y is redo
Ctrl-f is find
Ctrl-t is new tab
Ctrl-Alt-Delete is the security Window on Vista/7 and the Task Manager on XP Home, unless you turn off the welcome screen, then it is the security window in XP as well.

Then there are Windows strokes as well. When I say Win it means the Windows key.
Win-l is lock computer
Win-u is the accessibility manager, oh and side note it you want to mess with someones head, do that and turn on narrator, then close the accessibility manager. Then hide the narrator window, and it will start reading everything they do to them through their
speakers. That can be done if the computer is locked or not. I love doing that at work LMAO
Win-e starts my computer

There are lots more, I just cant remember them right off hand.

The USB stick thing is done by getting the USB-DVD software. It takes a disk image of Windows and copies it to a USB flash drive. Then you can boot off it and install Windows on a machine that doesn't have a DVD drive. Copying an install of Windows to another computer might work, but lean to do it the right way first, before you go off and start trying to so a migration install like that. It is possable, but there will be so many problems you will run into, and it will take time. Also on 7 it will take some special software, as Microsoft moved the boot.ini into a separate inaccessible partition of the hard drive.This will take some know how from a few Linux sources, and lots of experience. Not saying that you wont be able to do it in the future, just not right now.

Installing Linux like that is a little different from installing normaly. It will install like standard software, but allow you to boot into a native Linux install. Also it doesn't require any changes to the partition tables. So get something like Wubi and do the install, when it wants you to reboot, do it and let it do its thing. Then it will keep running and installing, just let it do its thing. Then when it is all said and done, you have them both installed. Though here is the coolest thing about running Linux this way, if you get tired of it or want to try another one this way, go into Windows and uninstall it like a regular program. It will be like it was never there. Very cool.

Holy craptastic software Batman. Replacing your Windows Mail with an older version, that didn't come with that OS, is such a bad idea that I will call him an idiot. There will be no new security patches for it, no new definitions, no new phishing alerts. You might as well just share your entire hard drive to the internet and every one on it, with a huge sign that says come rape me, and cut out the middle man. Why use substandard software that is nothing more than a glorified security hole. You have got to stop listening to these people, that is a VERY BAD idea. Andrea, you are being fed such crap I am surprise that your Windows still works at all. There is better software out, that is FREE. Even Microsoft gives it away for FREE, USE IT, NOT CRAPTASTIC STUFF FROM VISTA.

Last edited:
I was talking about windows 7 on your windows 7 machine. It's true getting a legit windows xp disc would be harder, but not impossible. Have you contacted the makers of you windows xp machines to see if they could supply them for a small fee. You could also check out ebay. :)

But my 2 Windows XP Netbooks are new,bought this year,so they both still work. But as I said,those 2 windows XP Netbooks that have Windows XP Home edition. These are my first Windows XP Netbook-Acer Aspire One and my second Windows XP Netbook-MSI Wind,were the last in the store. Bought in June 2011 and July 2011 (the second one.)

But these 2 Netbooks are obviously old versions made about 2 years ago,as there is now an new version of Acer Aspire One and MSI Wind. Which are the same Netbooks as what I have got, but they now have Windows 7 Starter on them.

So while the makers of my 2 Netbooks would probably be able to replace both the battery and charger with a new one if they broke(although I have not asked them yet.) If something went wrong with the operating system,they would probably just put Windows 7 on it,instead of the original windows XP, it came with. As the new versions of my 2 Netbooks only come with Windows 7 not Windows XP. Which I think is silly because we should have a choice.

But I still have my recovery partition that is hidden from people like you and I. So I can restore my Netbooks to factory condition. And as they are both Windows XP Netbooks,they will go back to the way they were before I bought them. That is with Windows XP on them just like I have got now. But with all of that unwanted Acer and MSI branded software,such as games and all that. Which I would have to spend time uninstalling again.

But on my Windows 7 Netbooks,which are all HP,you have the choice of full factory restore-which puts back all of the branded HP software. Or minimized image restore-without the branded HP software,which gives you a clean install of Windows,with all of the vital Windows software and drivers.

But unfortunently my Acer and MSI Netbooks do not have this. Only the full factory restore. That is why I prefer to by HP Netbooks. Because with HP, minimized image restore, saves me having to uninstall all of that unwanted branded software.

And what you said that Windows 2000 does not require activation to run it. So there is a chance that I could install Windows 2000 on one of my Netbooks. But the only thing is that,because it is no longer supported by Microsoft,I just won't be able to get updates. But then most of these are for Microsoft software only,not for other software like Pidgin or Firefox. Which you have to update yourself anyway. And as for Microsoft software like WMP or what would most probably be an earlier version of Windows Movie Maker. Unless I wanted to upgrade to WMP 11,which I don't(on Windows 2000.) I won't need Windows Update for that and I could install updates manually. By going onto the Microsoft website and installing the update for the software I want.

But you still have to find a safe download for Windows 2000,which is not easy. Andrea Borman.

Not sure if Windows update still works for 2000, but just get the latest service pack, I think it is 5. You are right about 2000, it is no longer supported by Microsoft or most software manufacturers. I think WMP 9 is the highest that will install on 2000 correctly and without any hacks that could destroy your system. Although Movie maker didn't come with Windows until XP maybe ME. That is because instead of releasing 2000 Home, Microsoft went with ME. When people refer to 2000, not 2000 Server, they are talking about 2000 Pro. There was a 2000 Home, but never got past Alpha/Beta stages, it was called Windows Neptune. It was about he same as XP Home. Finding safe versions of any OS is problematic, and could be very difficult. This is a good reason that most people tell you to use legit copies. With 2000, it is so old is so old that not many people want to run it, and it will hit a smaller number of people with viruses. It's all about finding the right disk image. Just takes time and experience to know who is a good hacker and who is just a virus troll. Like I said before, I am not advocating Windows Piracy, just letting you know how it works.

While Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows XP are all modern operating systems. And most software such as media players,chat messengers and web browsers will work on all 3 versions. Windows 2000 is a very old operating system, and very different to what I am using now,from both Windows XP and Windows 7.

Even if I could get Windows 2000 running on my Netbook,which is more likely I won't be able to. I may not be able to connect to the Internet on wireless broadband. And a lot of my drivers may not be supported. Even if I installed Windows 2000 on my Windows XP Netbook. Also a lot of software that we are using now that works on all 3 versions of Windows,XP,Vista and 7,will not be compatible or work in Windows 2000. So that would mean I may have to use a very old version of Firefox, and Windows Live Messenger will not work in Windows 2000. And that includes the Windows Live Messenger for Windows XP. Which works in Windows Vista and Windows 7, but not in Windows 2000. I saw on a You Tube video.

And also Windows 2000 comes with Internet Explorer 5 but you cannot install updates with IE5, as you need to have IE5.5 to get updates. And also I have seen the way web pages look in IE5 and IE5.5, in IE tester,which shows you how websites look in different web browsers. And they look terrible,so you probably would want to upgrade. But the highest version of IE Windows 2000 supports is IE6.

I have got IE6 on my Windows XP because IE6 is bundled with Windows XP. But web pages in IE6,IE7 and IE8 look very much the same, but not in IE 5 and IE5.5.

My Next door neighbour has a Windows 2000 computer with a webcam,but he does not have wireless broadband,only wired broadband. But then his computer is a full sized computer not a laptop and a Windows 2000 computer. Built for Windows 2000, but our laptops are not.

So on Windows 2000 I would not be able to do a lot of things that I do now on my computer,such as use wireless broadband,WiFi. Or use the modern web browsers and chat messengers. And even my web cam and web cam software may not work in Windows 2000.

So it is unlikely that Windows 2000 will work on our laptops. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
That's not totally true. The great thing about Windows is that as long as you have drivers for any device, it will run, regardless of what Version of the OS you are running. With 2000, Like I said in a previous post, you can use XP drivers. Not all work, but this is where it comes in to the research that you have to do. So windows 2000 will run WIFI, as long as the drivers are there. 2000 and XP/Vista/7 are close to identical. The difference is that XP/Vista/7 have a newer kernel. As for software, Microsoft doesn't support 2000, but FireFox does. There are still a lot of software companies that support 2000, because it is so much like the newer versions. Being that you are on a netbook you wont be doing gaming and that is the real place you have to worry about OS. Sorry this is so late and short, been working on a database application. I hope to get it done some time soon.

You are right.I saw a You Tube Video about Windows 2000 and it said that a lot of the modern web browsers and chat messengers, including the latest version of Firefox and Aim Messenger are supported in Windows 2000. I think I was thinking about Windows 98 and 95 that does not support the modern web browsers and chat messengers. But that is older than Windows 2000.

Microsoft only stopped supporting Windows 2000 last year. Which just means that you don't get updates in Windows 2000 unless you go to the website and install the updates you want. I know of an office that is still using Windows 98 with IE6 or so they told me. If that is so,how to they get by without updates? Because when I first used my Windows XP Netbooks after first time set up. Although they both came with service pack 3 in Windows XP Home Edition,I had to install over 100 updates from Windows update. Andrea Borman.

Back
Top Bottom