Windows 7 Application: Classic Shell

No internet connection sounds like a driver problem with your NIC. Takes time to figure things out. Not everything just works. You have to do the work to get it to work. The stuff you are talking about, "start menu" is not Linux. Unlike Windows or Mac OS, there is a choice what Desktop Environment you can use. KDE, Gnome, XFCE. It all depends on what you choose, to how it looks. Ill get around to reading your post on Linux after work today. I just happen to wake up and want a smoke.

It's not just England, every where is moving away from XP. It is 10 years old now, I like XP but there is a time to move on and get a new OS.

8 is going to be new and unusual for a lot of reasons. Although like all things in computing it is a matter of how much time and effort you put into learning it. I know IT techs that have to learn stuff, and they have been ITs for over 15 years. Every one goes through that. You have to put time and effort into it.

Not all software works on newer OSes. One of the first things you got to learn, is the difference in newer versions and clones. Movie Maker 2.6 is not a clone of 2.1. That would be a newer version. A clone is a piece of software that has a different name, but is pretty much the same software.

Who cares if free software works on a newer version of an OS. Get the newer version of the software, its FREE. I don't care if Firefox 3.0 works on 8 or not. As long as there is one that works on 8 then, that's all that matters. Now if it is a pay for software, like Abobe, then you would have a solid case.

Well,actually I found Windows XP to be faster than Windows 7 and take up less ram than Windows 7 does. But when I got my first computer last year,it was a Windows 7 Netbook. And I felt very at home with Windows 7, as every setting is clearly listed, so I found everything. I have never used Windows Vista, and from what I read it does not work good on a Netbook. But it looks very much like Windows 7 with similar settings,so I should be able to use Windows Vista. And if given the choice between Windows Vista or Windows 8,I would choose Windows Vista, as it is what I know how to use.

Have you seen Windows 8? Not only does it not have a start menu, and look totally different from the Windows we know. But it is ugly and I would not want to use an operating system like that. And Windows 8 is also confusing looking and is a confusing operating system. And already a lot of people are saying they do not want the next version of Windows to be like that. So it is not only me. after all,I use Windows, because it is user friendly, and easy to use. I don't want to use Linux or Mac,that is why I stay with Windows. But they want to make Windows 8 look like Mac,which I have never used and don't understand anyway.

I am very happy with Windows 7 and do not see a need for a Windows 8, unless they are going to make it like Windows 7. Which we like and know how to use. And because Windows 7 is so much like Windows XP and Windows Vista,that is why people can use it. But the way Windows 8 is going to be,I and other people will not be able to use it.

And if Windows users want an operating system like Mac,let them go and buy a Mac computer. But I don't want to do this. So I want a Windows operating system like Windows XP,Windows Vista or Windows 7 that I understand. Not this Windows 8.

And the problem is that I do not have enough experience to install my own operating system.All my Windows 7 and Windows XP Netbooks came with the operating system pre-installed before I bought them.

And the most I can do is restore my computers to factory condition,the way it was when the computer was bought,not reinstall Windows. As on a Netbook,I don't have a CD drive.

So I would not be able to buy a Windows 8 computer and then install my own Windows 7 operating system over it. As I would not know how to do this. And also I don't have a Windows 7 or Windows XP CD. Which you would also need.

That is probably why I have got all Netbooks so you can just do a simple restore to factory condition if your computer goes wrong.Andrea Borman.

Unlike many on this forum, I'm a working Computer tech (and have been for over 30 years)
By the time we're in our mid to late years, most of us don't like to change the way we've done
something for many years, right or wrong. We just don't like change! :stung:

Ok, with that in mind......
I had to install a new Toshiba Laptop for an elderly lady this past week, to replace an old XP
desktop that I've kept going for her for almost ten years. I had XP tweaked and tuned to run
efficiently on her old PC with a slow CPU and minimal RAM. But she was comfortable with it and
really had nightmares about having to change to something new and foreign to here. Many of
her friends had told her what a nightmare it was to upgrade to Windows 7.

So I spent almost six hours, installing "Classic Shell" and all the other tweaks to make Win-7
more familiar to her. I activated Windows Mail and imported her address book from the old
PC and Outlook Express. And then I set up Windows Mail to look as much like her old O.E.6
as possible. She loves it!
Then I installed Firefox for her and imported all her Bookmarks from her old PC.

When I got all done, her brand new laptop running Windows 7, 64 looked and acted very much
like her old PC albeit a lot faster. She was just giddy with excitement to actually sit down at
her new PC and begin working with it.

So there's a lot to be said for the Classic Shell and other programs that bring an air of familiarity
to the new OS.

I hate to hear anyone, badmouthing something that makes Win-7 more acceptable to the elderly.
Use it or don't use it....that's your prerogative, but don't tell someone else to not use it because
you personally don't want to. OK? That helps NO-ONE! And this is a HELP forum, after all.

Cheers Mates!
Old Timer :cool:

Unlike many on this forum, I'm a working Computer tech (and have been for over 30 years)
By the time we're in our mid to late years, most of us don't like to change the way we've done
something for many years, right or wrong. We just don't like change! :stung:

Ok, with that in mind......
I had to install a new Toshiba Laptop for an elderly lady this past week, to replace an old XP
desktop that I've kept going for her for almost ten years. I had XP tweaked and tuned to run
efficiently on her old PC with a slow CPU and minimal RAM. But she was comfortable with it and
really had nightmares about having to change to something new and foreign to here. Many of
her friends had told her what a nightmare it was to upgrade to Windows 7.

So I spent almost six hours, installing "Classic Shell" and all the other tweaks to make Win-7
more familiar to her. I activated Windows Mail and imported her address book from the old
PC and Outlook Express. And then I set up Windows Mail to look as much like her old O.E.6
as possible. She loves it!
Then I installed Firefox for her and imported all her Bookmarks from her old PC.

When I got all done, her brand new laptop running Windows 7, 64 looked and acted very much
like her old PC albeit a lot faster. She was just giddy with excitement to actually sit down at
her new PC and begin working with it.

So there's a lot to be said for the Classic Shell and other programs that bring an air of familiarity
to the new OS.

I hate to hear anyone, badmouthing something that makes Win-7 more acceptable to the elderly.
Use it or don't use it....that's your prerogative, but don't tell someone else to not use it because
you personally don't want to. OK? That helps NO-ONE! And this is a HELP forum, after all.

Cheers Mates!
Old Timer :cool:

Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 7 all have the modern start menu. Before I got my first computer last year,which was Windows 7,I was using Internet cafes. And there they have Windows XP,but because I was using Internet cafes, I did not have to worry about looking after the computer,installing updates and all that. But when I got my own computer I did have to maintain it.But Windows 7 is very user friendly,in fact it is easier to find things in their control panel than Windows XP. On Windows XP you can find all of the settings you need but on Windows 7,the Windows search is better and more accurate.

But because I was able to use Windows 7 I was soon able to get round the settings of Windows XP as they are both similar. So if you know how to use Windows 7,you will be able to use Windows XP. And Windows XP has a lot of additional software that Windows Vista and 7 does not have. for example Windows Media player 9,which is nicer and more customizable than WMP 11 or 12. And also on XP you have 2 earlier versions of WMP bundled with WMP,WMP 6.4(type in mplayer2 to find it) and WMP 5.1(type in mplay32 to find it). And other unusual software such as Winchat,where you can chat to other computers on your Network. and you can also upgrade to WMP10 and 11 and downgrade again if you don't like it.

But on Windows Vista and Windows 7,they have taken out the 2 earlier versions of WMP and you are stuck with WMP 11 on Windows Vista or WMP 12 on Windows 7,with no option to upgrade or downgrade to an earlier version. Although most Windows XP software will work on Windows 7. So you don't really loose out buy using Windows 7 and you can install third party software apart from Classic Shell to change the desktop,taskbar,log on screen and start menu and even Windows Explorer to any theme or color you want. And you can also install software for this on Windows XP.

But my complaint is that the software itself,Classic Shell is not working properly on my computer,it is supposed to change the start menu to,Windows XP,Windows Vista and classic start menu. But often the theme did not change,so I uninstalled Classic Shell.

On Windows 7,there is nothing to be afraid of as, if you have used Windows XP,you will be able to use Windows 7. But you can still use Windows XP as it is supported until at least 2014,which is a long way off and they may well extend it.

But with Windows 8,because they are planning to make it so different,not even a start menu-oh my God, and different altogether. I am very afraid, because I and other people may not know how to use it. Also from what I have seen of it-I don't like it anyway. If some one gave me a Windows 2000 or Windows 98 or 95 computer-as it is like the other versions of Windows,I would be able to use it. But Windows 8 you cannot use it,unless they make it more like Windows 7.

But then we have already got Windows 7 and also Windows XP and Windows Vista. So why do we have to have Windows 8? I do not want it. Andrea Borman.

As I work on peoples PC's I hear a reoccurring theme, which goes something like, "this should do me as long as I'm going to need it". Of course that means, "This will do me from now to my grave".
It may be a defeatist comment, but also true in many cases.

I just did some major overhaul on my main PC this morning, installing a new Seagate 6GBM SATA III hard drive and cleaning up most of my 11 cooling fans. The drive I have Win-7 installed on is not even inside my desktop case, but sits on the desk beside my PC. I have several OS's on loose drives that I can plug in whenever I want to play around with them.

For many elders, their computer is their only pleasure and they surely don't need to have to deal with a new OS that is as foreign to them as trying to learn Chinese.
I regularly overhaul peoples old XP PC's to run faster and more efficiently so the people can get a few more years of use out of them. Even PC's built 10 to 12 years ago, can be made to run Windows XP-Pro-SP3 very effectively.

The Classic Shell is just one tool I use to make Windows 7 more acceptable to old XP users, who are forced to buy a new computer.

Cheers mates!
Old Timer :cool2:

Last edited:
Well,I hope I never have to face using Windows 8 because of their plans to make it without a start menu. And also the whole operating system is horrible. So if Windows 8 is made and they stop selling Windows 7 computers,and when our computer goes we are forced to buy Windows 8. Then we will need a software like Classic Shell just so that we can have a start menu and operating system that looks familiar to us.

But I have a horrible feeling that on Windows 8,being the horrible and impossible to understand operating system it is going to be. That Classic Shell and other software like it won't work on Windows 8. What will we do then? Andrea Borman.

Okay, you keep running off hear say, and are just spouting out the same stuff "others" are saying on the web. You have a year of real computer experience, and want to throw it around like you have a PhD in computer science and software engineering. You have experience in only two versions, to where I personally have used ever version of the Windows from 3.11 to 7 and even a couple not released. The truth about Windows is that it uses more resources every new release. That wont change...ever.

Considering that 8 is still in the Alpha stages and thus far not released into beta, it is still just 7 with components from 8 integrated into it. No one truly know how it is going to come out, i would bet even the people at Microsoft don't know. You say that 8 is wanting to look like OSX, look at the history of Windows. For the exception of the dock, Microsoft has been there and moved away from that set up. There are no longer a unified menu bar. At the time that went away so many people where whining and crying about that too. Though it is still gone, and no one even gives it a second though. This same thought process went with the start menu, people had a problem with the pinning and frequently used items, when it was released in XP. Not many people care any more, or they find ways around it.

At least you are running an OS that is worth running. XP and 7 are good OSes, for the most part stable and dependable. Though like everything that comes out of Microsoft labs, it requires major maintenance.

Okay, every one starts somewhere, and not having the experience is one thing. Not being willing to do the research to know how to do things like reinstalling the OS is inexcusable. I ran into the problem where I had CD burners but no DVD readers on a roommates computer. I got the USB-DVD tool from Microsoft and made a 7 install key drive from an ISO that I downloaded off the internet. Then used the legal key from the COA on the side of the computer to install with. Simple as that. I took the time to do the research and find the answer to the problem. All it takes is a little effort and time. Like I tell every one, it only take the effort of a one armed retarded chimpanzee to do this stuff.

The only reason Microsoft extended support for XP out, is because it is a feature in 7. The ability to run a hardware vitalized XP, for having bought 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate. I don't see them dropping that for a while. The other option that I have heard is the idea of stripping XP down and integrating it into 8. That would allow sand boxing at an epic level, but still not have to load a second OS just to run software or hardware. Like I said though, no one really know how it is going to come out.

Just like 3.11 to 95 or 9x to XP or XP to Vista, people are going to have an opinion of what it should be like. There will be people out talking about how bad the OS is, then all of a sudden its not an issue.

Then you talk about not being able to go back to an older version of Media Player. Really? Like you want to use MP10? That was so bad that even Microsoft wants to pretend it never happened. Older versions of software are replaced for a really good reason. THEY ARE CRAP. Microsoft, no matter how long it takes and for the most part, knows what is worth keeping and not worth keeping.

Eventually you will have to bite the bullet and will only be able to buy a new computer with 8 on it. That or use Linux or Unix, that is just a fact. The same went with 7, Vista, XP, ME, 2000, 98, should I keep going? This is not a trend that has never or will never change. So the only three options are keep your old computer, get a new one and install Linux or Unix, or deal with it and trek on like every one else in the same boat. You could try to downgrade to an older OS, but then you run into the drivers problem, manufacturers are getting to where they wont write drivers for more than one OS older than the current, and unless you know assembly languagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_languageto write your own, you are SOMFL.

I have heard the same things you have about Microsoft getting rid of the start menu. Though the impossible to understand is way out there. There is now the second release with the same interface as what is suppose to come out on 8, Windows Phone 7. Most of the people I talk to tell me how much faster things are in Phone 7 and how things are just right there. It all depends on who you talk to and where you get your information. Though knocking an OS that is not even in beta release yet is pointless and childish.

WoW that was long winded. LoL Can you see the points that I am making? Mike, Elmer, Conduct, OldTimer, please tell me if I'm off my rocker about this.

Well,if enough people complained, then maybe they will scrap Windows 8,and not make it. And then we will just have Windows 7 and the older versions of Windows, which would suit me fine. I love windows, it is better than Linux. But on Linux you can choose what version you use. And it should be the same with Windows.

That is, you should be able to have the choice of buying a Windows 7,Windows vista ,Windows XP or even Windows 2000 or 98 or 95. That would solve the problem. And a year ago,you could buy Windows Vista and Windows XP laptops, until they stopped it in December 2010.

But all versions of Windows are very much the same,they all have a start menu. And Windows 2000,98 and 95 have the classic start menu. But it works the same way the modern start menu does.

But Windows 8 is a different story, as they say on the web, and in the video previews, it will not have a start menu, and will be like an I pad. I have never used an I pad, and I did not even know what an I pad was until some one told me. If you look at the video previews you will see Windows 8 looks nothing like Windows.

But if they make Windows 8 look like Windows Vista and Windows 7,then I won't mind using it. But if not, then no,I don't want to use it. And also I probably won't be able to use it.

And about Windows XP,all Internet cafes I have been to still use it as do many offices. The reason is because when they made Windows Vista,people found it slow and it took up a lot of ram. So I read,but Windows 7,although it looks like Windows Vista, it works better than Windows Vista.

Although I have never used Windows Vista,so I don't know. But from what I read if I did get Windows Vista, I should get a full sized laptop not a Netbook. As it does not run well on a Netbook.

But at least you can use Windows Vista but I and most people won't be able to use Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Woosah...woosah...woosah...
You make my head hurt so much. Head melting, brains ooozing out of ears. I feel myself getting dumber. Jurgins take me away.

That is no where near to being even remotely close to being near the reason why offices don't use Vista. Vista was a major release, and it was so bad at hardware support that it was not cost effective to have to hire 10 more ITs just to fix the problems that Vista created. That's not even going into the client server side of it. Server 2003 R1/R2 didn't even get full Vista support until well into 2008 and 2009.To witch 7 was already in Beta and RC status. This was a smart choice, I tried integrating Vista into my school network, and even the Chair of my department couldn't figure out why things didn't work. Everything was set up correctly, it just didn't work. Although the machines still running XP and 2000 still worked. It was a load of crap from the get go.

There you go again with that I read this and I read that. Where is your hands on knowledge? Where is your experience? Where is your I did this? You don't have that, I do. The Windows 8 interface they are talking about is coming off the Windows Phone 7 design. No where near the design of the IOS, that is used in IPad and IPhone. From that comment I can tell you get your information from some really bad sources. That is a bogus claim, and only makes you look ignorant.

You know what makes me good at computers? I have read the Microsoft documentation, and turned around and tried it. A computer is only as good as its user.

There is a HUGE reason they got rid of 9x and ME, it is DOS based. XP and up is NT based. Also newer versions of Windows are coming out in 64 bit, that breaks the 3 Gig memory limitation and are suited for multi threading. XP is a good alternative, but the only reason that cafes use it still is because they don't care. They don't even have an IT in the building, so what makes you think they are going to be able to switch out OSes?

Distrobutions, they are called Linux Distrobutions. No they have nothing to do with each other, they are not different versions of each other. Linux is the kernel, Kubuntu is the distrobution, the K means is is running the KDE desktop. It is all separate software running on the computer. I can really blow your mind and tell you that all Linux installs are servers.

You think Microsoft is going to stop something just because people complain? People have been trying that for...as long as Microsoft has been around. That's not going to stop them from doing anything. The thinking at Microsoft is if you don't like it, don't buy it. Just don't pirate it.

This is what I have seen and heard on the web about Windows 8. And here is the video from Microsoft showing us how they plan to make Windows 8. Here-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

H
orrible isn't it? And according to the articles and other videos I have seen about Windows 8,it seems that they do want to make it with a Mac desktop and no start menu. And a lot of people are saying they don't like it. And I don't like it either,it looks dead ugly and also I won't be able to use it without the start menu and seetings clearly marked like they are on Windows 7 and previous versions of Windows.

Also I install a lot of my own software which are web browsers and chat messengers . So what if Pale moon browser for example that I have installed myself does not show up in that square apps tiles on the desktop? How will I find it without the start menu or even a desktop short cut? More important,how can I find control panel or install updates if there is no start menu or means to find my computer settings? You see the problem? As well as the fact that I hate the appearance of the new Windows 8 they plan to make-which I hope they don't.

I have read other articles and watched videos like that You Tube video above and they all say the same thing-that Windows 8 is going to be like that.

Unless they change it I don't want to go on Windows 8. I want to stay on Windows 7. And one good thing is because I have got 6 Netbooks 4 Windows 7 and 2 Windows XP Home Edition. It is unlikely that i will need to buy a new computer for a very long time. Sure the battery and charger may wear out but I can get that replaced from the makers of my laptop,HP.

I was thinking of buying a Windows Vista laptop or Netbook but Windows Vista look the same as Windows 7 and almost the same settings. In fact Windows 7 is a lighter faster version of Windows Vista. And I have already got Windows 7. So there is no point in getting Windows Vista because they are both alike one another,except that Windows 7 is better for Netbooks,they say. And also you can even enable Windows Mail for Windows Vista,Windows Calendar and Windows vista Sidebar on Windows 7. I have read the tutorials on how to do that and downloaded the files and it does work-honest. And there is even a WMP 11 for Windows 7,that works too,as well as the fact that most software for Windows XP works on Windows 7. So if you upgrade or buy Windows 7 you can install and use all of your software that you used on Windows XP and Windows Vista on Windows 7.

But I think on Windows 8,we may not be so lucky as it is just too different from the Windows we know.And from what I have seen of it horrible. Andrea Borman.

That looks nothing like a OSX, like I said, it is the Phone 7 interface. For your reference I have included a link to Google with screen shots of OSX

mac osX - Google Search

Now look at that, you ain't paying attention again. 3/4 of the way through the video that you provided what do you see. Oh my gosh a task bar and start menu. I know you are going to say you didn't see it, then ask where is it, spoon feed it to me. So I guess I will have to. The part that he is talking bout using existing apps, and brings up Excel 2010. At the bottom of the screen, there it is, task bar and start menu. Then not only that I found the Windows Explorer and Control Panel already in the video. If you need another spoon feed answer, it is at the beginning. When he shows the tiles for the first time, middle row all the way to the right, Windows Explorer, green tile with the Sprocket, Control Panel.

Yea, so you bought cheap out of date computers and want them to last a very long time. I guess if you call three years a very long time, then they should do fine for that. Any way, I have to go to work.

Classic shell..wmv_000004160.jpgClassic shell..wmv_000006120.jpgClassic shell..wmv_000011280.jpg

Well,I went to the Classic Shell website and I noticed that they have released a new version of Classic Shell,brought out 2 days ago. So I have gone ahead and installed it on my Windows 7 Starter Netbook. As well as the classic start menu, you can also install Classic Explorer for a classic buttons in Windows Explorer. And also classic IE9 for a toobar in IE9 if you have IE9,which I don't.

But I have only installed Classic start menu, as I am happy with the way Windows Explorer is in both Windows 7 and Windows XP. And here are the results in my pictures above in my Windows 7 Starter. And as you can see, Classic Shell does work in Windows 7 Starter. And the first picture shows my classic start menu and the other 2 pictures show my Classic Shell on Windows XP start menu setting on my Windows 7. As you can see in my pictures,the Start menu is very much like it is on my Windows XP Netbook. And when you click programs it opens out into a small sub menu like on Windows XP. And the third picture shows the Windows Xp start menu, with the search bar enabled. So you can still use Windows search, just like you can on the Windows 7 start menu setting.The search bar is also in the classic start menu.

But the real classic start menu does not have the search bar, but we are on Windows 7. So as well as being able to have both the classic and Windows XP start menu,you have got the search bar,with Windows search as well. And in addition to that,Classic Shell also has the Windows Vista and Windows 7 start menu setting. But the difference is that both Windows Vista and Windows 7 start menu have the programs menu that opens out into a sub menu. The same way it does on the classic and Windows XP start menu.

And that wallpaper you see on my Windows 7 Starter-well,I have got Personalization Panel. Which enables you to change the wallpaper on Windows 7 Starter. And it works on Windows Classic theme setting as well as on Windows 7 Basic setting.

And so it seems that Classic Shell is working on my Netbook since I have tried the new updated version. So as well as the classic start menu,you can have a Windows XP start menu, or even a Windows Vista start menu if you want it. On all versions of Windows 7,even on Windows 7 Starter. As well as the Windows 7 Basic start menu,with a classic programs list,(like it is on Windows XP.)So it can be done. Andrea Borman.

0_O

I seem to remember that you where the only one saying that it doesn't work. Now you want to sing its praises? Glory on high to the mighty software creator? It makes me wonder about you some times. You flip your script really quickly.

O_0

Well,I have installed the latest version of Classic Shell,which is brought out only on the 20th August 2011 a few days ago. So this time last week there was still only the old version,which may have had bugs. But the problem I had was that I could not change the start menu from Classic to Windows XP or vista,which is another theme Classic Shell has.

But when I think about it now,it was because I probably was not using it properly. That is at that time I was using it, I did not know how to work the settings and there are quite a number of them. There are several different settings on Classic Shell,and also if you want to pin your items to the start menu. You don't just pin it, like on the modern start menu, you right click with your mouse and the wizard creates the short cut. So you can put Firefox or Google Chrome on your classic start menu. And the menu is quite short in hight and does not take up the hole computer screen like the modern start menu. But the more programs to add to your start menu increases the hight.

But Windows XP also has the Classic start menu included in the operating system. And I was surprised learn that so does Windows Vista. So if you buy Windows Vista you also get the classic start menu,included,which you can switch to if you want to. And the classic start menu settings on Windows XP are similar to classic shells settings. So I think that's where I figured out how to use the classic start menu setting. By using the classic start menu on my Windows XP.

But the classic start menu is not included in Windows 7,so you have to install it your self. There is other software where you can get the classic start menu but most other software is no free to use. Only free for a trial period and then you have to pay to carry on using it.

But looking at the classic start menu settings on my Windows XP laptop and by looking at Classic Shells settings. The settings are both very similar to one another but Classic Shell has more themes. Such as you can switch to Windows XP or Vista Start menu and Windows 7 Areo or Windows 7 basic start menu. And in addition to that the difference between Classic Shells Windows vista and Windows 7s start menu from Microsoft's version. Is that Classic Shells Windows Vista or Windows 7 start menu-when you click programs you get a second column list of all the program-2 columns.Like on the classic start menu and on Windows XP start menu. But as you know on the REAL Windows Vista and Windows 7 start menu-it is just one column only. That is the difference but I don't mind the modern Windows 7 start menu. Sure,I never use the areo theme or Windows 7 basic on my Windows 7 as it is just too much to look at.

I always have my Windows 7 theme set on Windows Classic in my own colors. And on windows XP,I have got the Windows XP taskbar and start menu-the modern start menu but a plain peach desktop selected by using the color picker. I don't use the default Windows XP wallpaper theme,I don't like that either. The other Windows XP Netbook has got the modern start menu but a pink desktop.

On Windows XP you can still have the Windows XP taskbar and start menu and have a plain desktop set any color you want using the color picker,if you don't want wallpaper. But on Windows 7 and Windows Vista you cannot have the Windows 7 or Windows Vista taskbar and start menu and have a plain desktop. It only sets to wallpaper unless you change the whole theme to Windows Classic. But then you get the Classic style taskbar and start menu not the default Windows 7 or Windows vista taskbar and start menu. I don't know why that is,but the strange thing is that you can still set any wallpaper image as you desktop background while on Windows classic theme just as you can do also on Windows XP.

Although it has to be said that Windows XP has a lot more theme choices than Windows Vista or Windows 7 does. But then there is more space on Windows XP as it uses a lot less ram,so they can afford to put more software and more features in.

But as I have got 4 Windows 7 Netbooks and 2 Windows XP Netbook it seems a good idea to make each Netbok look slightly different to the other Netbook. And having a software like Classic Shell does give you more choices. I already have got Tweaks log on screen change on all my Windows 7 Netbooks and Personalization Panel on my 2 Windows 7 starter Netbooks so I can add wallpaper. And now I have got Classic Shell but I have not installed any third party software on my Windows XP. As it already has a lot more theme options bundled in with it already that Windows 7 does not have. Such as change the control panel menu from blue pages to olive green or silver and change the control panel menu to classic view.Which they took out of Windows Vista and Windows 7 in order to slim it down and make more space.

But Classic Shell seems to be working for me. Andrea Borman.

Classic control panel is still in windows 7, under categories you select small or large icons and as if by magic the classic control panel is back.

Classic shell.jpgWindows 7 classic.jpgdesktop on Windows classic theme.jpgWindows XP start menu on Windows 7..jpg

These pictures are photos of my Windows 7 Netbook,taken with PSR,screen recorder that is included in Windows 7, for taking photos of your desktop. The first photo is of my Windows 7 start menu with Classic Shell on classic start menu setting. The second photo is of my start menu on Windows 7s Windows Classic setting. And the third photo is of my desktop also on Windows 7s Windows Classic setting.

And the fourth photo is of my Windows 7 start menu on Windows XP theme setting. Another feature of Classic Shell. And as you can see in the fourth picture it does make my start menu look like Windows XP also.

And yes, on Windows Classic you will see I have made the start menu items small icons smaller,making it look more like a list of pinned items. And I have also changed the taskbar and desktop to my own colors using the color picker.

But Classic Shell changes the start menu to the look of the original classic start menu,as you can see in the first picture. But the default Windows Classic theme does not do this, but Classic Shell does. So you can see the difference with using Windows Classic alone, and using classic Shell to get the original Classic Start menu look. And Classic Shell also has the Windows XP theme and Windows Vista theme. Which you also cannot get with the default Windows settings.

But on Windows XP and Windows Vista,the Classic Start menu is included, but it is not in Windows 7. Just the look, but not the original classic start menu.That is the theme is of Windows 2000,98 and 95, but the start menu is the modern start menu. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
You keep saying the same stuff over and over. It is kinda strange. You are reading like a stereo manual in traditional Chinese. Reading your posts is to be like talking to JuJu Pedals. Just letting you know that.

Classic Explorer in Windows Explorer..jpgClassic Explorer in control panel..jpg

Well,I took the plunge and I decided to install Classic Explorer, which is also included in Classic Shell. This puts toolbar buttons from Windows 2000 and earlier versions in Windows 7. But I am not sure exactly what benefits having the classic toolbar buttons have. I think if anything,they are more for decoration and also an easier way to move or look at your files without having to scroll down the toolbar. And also you can use the classic toolbar with the Windows 7 Explorer toolbar. As both features work together, and Classic Explorer also puts the classic toolbar in the control panel menu as well.

The first photo is of Classic Explorer in Windows Explorer on my Windows 7 Netbook. And the second photo is how it looks in control panel on my Windows 7. And you can also rename the files in Windows Explorer in Windows 7, to-My Documents and My Pictures as you can see I have done. But you can rename them anything you want.

You can also rename most files in Windows XP,but like Windows 7 and Windows Vista,Windows XP does not have a classic toolbar in Windows Explorer. This was in the earlier versions, Windows 2000,98 and 95,but was taken out of Windows XP.

Both the modern start menu in Windows XP and Windows 7 are very good and so is Windows Explorer. But it is nice to have a change and another option of changing your theme on Windows. And Classic Shell gives you that option. And I did notice that the classic start menu that is included in Windows XP does not have many choice of different settings to make it look as you want it to,as Classic Shell has. Andrea Borman.

Wait, are you saying that XP, Vista, and 7 don't have the menu bar on the Windows Explorer? Because they do. To show it you either have to A: press the alt key or B: disable hide menu bar. With XP, it is just there, and both XP, and 7 have it on the control panel as well. So in all reality I don't see anything that Classic Menu changed in your screenshots.

You also never reply to any of the other posts. You just go off on another rant about XP this and 2000 that. What is the deal with that? You sound like you don't really want to have a conversation about any thing you just want people to read what you type and not really care about learning anything or conveying useful information. On the other side, I'm not a moderator, and I guess it is none of my business what you post. Although a bit of friendly advice, start posting smaller posts with more pertinent information. Contrary to popular belief, larger does not always mean it is a better post.

You are right,Classic Explorer in Classic Shell does not change the appearance of Windows Explorer or control panel.It just puts the classic toolbar buttons into Windows Explorer that were used in Windows 2000 and before that. So I think the classic toolbar in Explorer is more for decoration. Or for people who used Windows 2000 and are used to the classic Windows Explorer that they have in Windows 2000,98 and 95. Where they had the classic toolbar. But it is nice to look at and makes a change from the default Windows Explorer.

There may be more features of Classic Explorer that I don't know about yet. And according to the Classic Shell website,it is easier to do keyboard shortcuts in Classic Explorer than in the modern Windows Explorer.But I don't use those anyway,I just click the setting I want with my mouse.

But it is nice to have a Windows XP or Classic Start menu and because I have the Windows Classic theme on my Windows 7. A lot of people will think just by looking at my desktop that I am running Windows XP,when I am not. And the classic start menu also makes a change of appearance from the modern start menu. Although I like Windows 7s modern start menu in Windows Classic theme of course, not Areo theme.

And as I have said before in Windows XPs classic start menu,it is not very customizable like Classic Shells one is. So when I said I was not keen on the classic start menu-I was talking about Windows XPs version of it,that is bundled with Windows XP,that has only basic features.

But Classic Shell has more features and gives you more choice of themes of the classic start menu. And if we are forced to go on Windows 8,which I hope never happens. Then we will need Classic Shell as Windows 8 will not have a start menu. But the problem is that Windows 8 may be so different,that Classic Shell and other software may not be compatible with Windows 8. What we we do then? Andrea Borman.

Back