Windows 8 Apps close After opening

Jonathan West

When i try to open a system app, like Windows store, or something like that. It imediatly closes right when it opens, but i can still see it in the taskbar. Pleases tell me how to fix this. Im afraid ill still have the problem when i get windows 10.

In most cases this is the app trying to sync with a database and may be getting blocked by your firewall or just waiting for the server at the other end to respond eg;
the Microsoft store, needs to sign you in and that becomes a problem if you don't allow it to snyc.
Skype is another program that can look dead on the task bar but it is looking for your profile.
Dropbox/ one drive etc all that time to load and any of these programs can get kicked if your system time is out by an hour or even if you are downloading Microsoft updates... the good news is any Windows error will have an error notice with at least a number and most times a general info script like "the drive you are trying to reach is locked" (open as admin to solve this).

i may have worded it rong. When i try to open built in apps like store, pc settings, etc, it automaticaly minimizies in the taskbar, and when i click on it again, it wont open up, it just keeps closing. Also, when i chect the taskbar, the app that i have open does not show up. To be clear im talking about apps that are built in to the pc, not ones you would get from the web. i need a way to fix this, or i may have problems in the future. And yes, i have my firewall off.

Sorry but we can’t see your screen or read your mind...
Details;
  • Laptop/ desktop, make model and brand,
  • History i.e is this system brand new or just been rebuilt?
  • Precisely how long has this problem been around i.e it just started after upgrading to 8.1 from 8 or tried some new program?
  • Has it got any anti-virus program (updates done and scan shows nothing), have you perhaps been buggering about in the registry or downloading the internet through some 3rd party torrent?

When i try to open a system app, like Windows store, or something like that. It imediatly closes right when it opens, but i can still see it in the taskbar. Pleases tell me how to fix this. Im afraid ill still have the problem when i get windows 10.

I have seen some apps/utilities open just on the taskbar initially and then open full screen. I assume they are waiting on some process to complete. Since yours won't ever open all the way there might be something they are all seeing.

Since I don't know what is doing it but it seems to be happening on several apps, have you tried reinstalling or updating your Video drivers? Are you running any special settings for the desktop, such as dpi?

You may have a problem with one of your system files, you might try running SFC /scannow in an administrative command prompt.

And you could always try reinstalling an app for testing to see if it helps, although if it happens with many apps, it is probably something they have in common and not that specific app.

Are you running any non-standard fonts?

Back