Windows 11 Asus board with a kit attached to Windows 11 install.

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I installed Windows 11 as a ?? clean install only to find a sort of Kit from Asus board with features like Norton, drivers and much more. Just the sight of Norton caused me to be leery.
I had this desktop built and after two years found a site that listed the pros and cons. I only installed some drivers and features I was sure of like WI FI.
If you are aware of this practice please comment. I cannot stand the thought of this loading stuff in my supposed clean install. I guess both Windows and Asus are responsible?
I am not techy enough to know if I should remove this in the UEFI or just keep it with the features I selected.

These are likely Windows UWP applications that always seem to get stuffed in Windows even on a clean install.
The maul way to remove them is click on the start button and right click each app you don't want and select uninstall.

If for example you wanted to iterate through all non Microsoft apps and type y or n to either keep or remove them would look like this from a Powershell prompt.
Code:
Get-AppxPackage | ? { $_.NonRemovable -eq $false -and $_.Publisher -notlike "*Microsoft*"} | Remove-AppPackage -Confirm

Having images I did a clean install to see if I could x the app out and it worked. Then after cleaning up I performed a clean install with no trace of Asus's motherboard app. I then imaged that. I fixed the images in my external drives-2 so there is no trace there either. It was my average user's way of getting it done. I wish I had known abut the power shell and I am grateful for your advice.
I think these engineers are assuming all users are more advanced than is the case.

I found that not including all I am missing a driver. I do not know which to include and exclude. There are about a dozen.
When I uninstalled Turbo Lan and CPUID and Octane all worked except the Octone entry which remained in the list of apps likely a registry remnant??? How is an average user supposed to know the difference?

the average user assumes Microsoft knows best and doesn't ask questions but most of them also know not to use Norton

anyway nice you got it working... best of luck

These are likely Windows UWP applications that always seem to get stuffed in Windows even on a clean install.
The maul way to remove them is click on the start button and right click each app you don't want and select uninstall.

If for example you wanted to iterate through all non Microsoft apps and type y or n to either keep or remove them would look like this from a Powershell prompt.
Code:
Get-AppxPackage | ? { $_.NonRemovable -eq $false -and $_.Publisher -notlike "*Microsoft*"} | Remove-AppPackage -Confirm
The problem I have is that I am unsure of some of the entries.. Once I did not select anything and I ended up missing drivers.
There are so many of items and it is hard to select.

On my last try I uninstalled Turbo Lan and CPU-ID by just uninstalling but Octane left its name in the app list. I tried again but this time I clicked advanced instead of uninstall then after advanced I clicked uninstall and all of Octane was gone. The machine is running well so far without the three.. I also unchecked Norton and some others I knew were unwanted but left all drivers.

Back