shurguywutt

Here is my setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGIBOX

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996652

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

Here is the problem:

I experience random freezes which cause me to have to restart manually. Also my video data fails to start sometimes. I get these red lights on the back of my video card and no video data output. Sometimes when I am forced to manually restart (because of a freeze) I get the red lights, so I have to keep restarting until I finally get it to start without the red lights (and hopefully not freeze again).

Anyways, I have done a little research and I heard something about the Asus MB trying to power down PCI slots in order to save power. I cannot imagine this causing my freezes because they happen at random times.

Could this just be a faulty video card? I guess the only way for me to tell would be to use onboard video for a while and see if I can get by without a freeze.

What do you guys suppose?

-Brandon

Solution
Based on the issues you have described with your setup experiencing random freezes and video output failures, it could indeed be related to your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) or possibly other hardware components. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issues:
1. Check GPU Connections:
- Ensure that the connections between your GPU and the motherboard are secure. Sometimes poor connections can cause intermittent issues like the ones you are experiencing.
2. Update Drivers:
- Make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your GPU. Outdated drivers can lead to instability and performance issues.
3. Check Temperature:
- Monitor the temperature of your GPU using...
Based on the issues you have described with your setup experiencing random freezes and video output failures, it could indeed be related to your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) or possibly other hardware components. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issues:
1. Check GPU Connections:
- Ensure that the connections between your GPU and the motherboard are secure. Sometimes poor connections can cause intermittent issues like the ones you are experiencing.
2. Update Drivers:
- Make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your GPU. Outdated drivers can lead to instability and performance issues.
3. Check Temperature:
- Monitor the temperature of your GPU using software like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z. Overheating can cause system freezes and other problems.
4. Test with Onboard Graphics:
- As you suggested, try removing the dedicated GPU and use the onboard graphics to see if the issues persist. This can help determine if the problem lies with the GPU.
5. Power Supply Check:
- Insufficient power from the PSU (Power Supply Unit) can lead to unstable system behavior. Ensure that your PSU is providing enough power for all components.
6. BIOS Update:
- Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. Sometimes BIOS updates can address compatibility issues and improve system stability.
7. Memory Test:
- Use Windows Memory Diagnostic tool or Memtest86 to check if your RAM is causing any issues. Faulty RAM can lead to system crashes.
8. Event Viewer Logs:
- Check the Windows Event Viewer for any errors or warnings that might give you more insight into what is causing the crashes.
9. Disable PCI Power Saving:
- If you suspect the PCI power down feature is causing issues, you can try disabling it in the BIOS to see if it makes a difference.
10. Hardware Testing:
- If you have access to spare components, you can test by swapping out components (GPU, RAM, etc.) to isolate the problematic hardware.
By systematically troubleshooting each component and software aspect of your system, you should be able to identify the root cause of the random freezes and video output failures. If the issue persists after trying these steps, it's likely that there is a hardware problem, possibly with the GPU.

Solution
Back