Windows 7 At these prices for W7 I'm going back to XP.

... if any of you even put an iota of time in your minds into believing this bullsh!t, then I feel sorry for you. It's just another pos Russian nobody trying to get traffic to his site by stating he knows inside info. I suspect the pricing will be similarly tiered to Vista's price, yet slightly cheaper due to the economy and the 'sore' buyers of Vista.
I hope you're right, even though I think Vista is way overpriced as it is.

Most likely I will be looking for an OEM version. Even with buying a piece of hardware to get it, it will still be a lot cheaper than a full retail version.

Considering what an OS does, I'm always surprised at how people balk at the cost. M$ puts billions into the development of these products and they want to be able to continue to do that in the future. I'm not saying M$ is perfect by any means, but they do produce a nice OS that the majority of users use.

Just work in IT and you won't have to pay for your copy. :D I'll be getting my copy through MSDN so I won't be paying for it. I didn't pay for Vista either, got my product key through a friends TechNet subscription.

Last OS I bought was XP MCE 2005, and I only ended up using it for about 6 months before I switched to Vista (back in November '06). I really think for what you're getting it's not an unreasonable price. Most people will get their copies OEM anyway so it's built into the price of their desktop/laptop.

I believe XP will be supported until 2014, and Vista will only be supported until 2012.

But in reality support from third party hardware vendors will cease when Windows 7 comes out. This was also a problem with Vista when it came out as it's not profitable for video card companies to develop drivers for XP when they new PC's come with Windows 7.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a problem because of the shear number of programs and hardware already out there that already have drivers developed for XP and Vista.

:)

A. I bought a netbook and two weeks later installed Win7 beta, and have no regrets, so at least one person put a different operating system on his new computer.
B. I don't think anyone has a right to say what a retired schoolteacher with a little Microsoft stock should earn on that stock.
C. If you don't like it and want a free OS, get Linux and be happy.

Me, I'll decide whether or not it's worth it to me to buy, at whatever the actual price will be, and I'll buy it.

I would like for Microsoft to consider the policy other companies, like Adobe, have and allow me to run my desktop and notebook off one license.

A. I bought a netbook and two weeks later installed Win7 beta, and have no regrets, so at least one person put a different operating system on his new computer.
B. I don't think anyone has a right to say what a retired schoolteacher with a little Microsoft stock should earn on that stock.
C. If you don't like it and want a free OS, get Linux and be happy.

Me, I'll decide whether or not it's worth it to me to buy, at whatever the actual price will be, and I'll buy it.

I would like for Microsoft to consider the policy other companies, like Adobe, have and allow me to run my desktop and notebook off one license.

You've made some very good points here.. ;) I agree completely with the fact that if someone doesn't like Windows 7 and wants a free OS than yes they should go get linux and be happy with that... But unfortunately it's just one of those things were ya can't please everyone...

As for keeping Windows Xp around longer....

I for one don't care if XP is supported/still avaliable until 2014 or 2050 to be honest... it's already a decade old

Not quite true. Windows XP was released in 2001, not 1999. Windows 2000 was released in February of 2000 and Windows ME was released in September of 2000. Those are both older than Windows XP and they're not even 10 years old yet.

Not quite true. Windows XP was released in 2001, not 1999. Windows 2000 was released in February of 2000 and Windows ME was released in September of 2000. Those are both older than Windows XP and they're not even 10 years old yet.

Sorry I wasn't 100% precise in my wording.. I was including alpha builds and beta builds.. ;)

Well if the rumoured price of $259 for Home Premium proves to be true, then I'll be sticking with XP or Vista, cause I already have them bought and paid for, and could use the $259 for other things.

Well if the rumoured price of $259 for Home Premium proves to be true, then I'll be sticking with XP or Vista, cause I already have them bought and paid for, and could use the $259 for other things.

if thats true of the price, why not just use linux,its free, no cost. i say that or go to windows 95 or dos 7.0 and windows 3.11 or even os/2 warp

I see no prices. Were they deleted from the thread?

You should read the WHOLE thread ("....Or you should have gone to 'Spec savers ......")

Here's the reference in my OP. OK in German but Babelfish it to English -- anyway the prices are easy enough to spot even if you don't understanf German.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Cheers

Jimbo

if thats true of the price, why not just use linux,its free, no cost. i say that or go to windows 95 or dos 7.0 and windows 3.11 or even os/2 warp

or I could go with Leopard for about half of the rumoured price. But I already have '98, '98 SE, ME, XP and Vista, so why spend anything ?? $259 is high.

:)

Hi guys

Die Speerspitze bildet die Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, die alle Funktionen enthält, die Windows 7 bietet: Neben den bereits genannten Features sind noch BitLocker, Direct Access und Branch Cache enthalten. Ihr Preis liegt bei 319,95 US-Dollar. ........

Windows 7 Professional dürfte deshalb auch für Notebook-Nutzer interessant sein, da das Mobility-Center einen erleichterten Zugriff auf viele häufig benötigte Mobil-Funktionen bietet, die andernfalls nur umständlich zu erreichen sind. Der Preis beträgt 299,95 US-Dollar.

At this price for a new (not upgrade version) install I think the Torrents will be doing a roaring trade.

Of course these are only rumoured prices and usually the "Street Price" is considerably less that the "Manufacturers Price".

Microsoft might be doing some "feeling" itself to see what the "Pain Level" is --if it gets a lot of negative feedback on these price levels then I'm sure there will be an adjustment before final ship date.

However if these prices hold (319 USD for Ultimate and 299 USD for a PRO version) then enjoy W7 while you can. For a lot of Home users these prices are just TOO high especially if you have 2 or 3 machines to upgrade.

Even Corporates will baulk at these -- most work computers are actually lower specced than home computers and if they can still run apps on XP they won't be in any hurry to spend a huge amount of money upgrading their systems (both hardware and software) until the economy bounces back -- by which time the successor to W7 might be out. :)

OpenSUSE 11.1 just got a whole lot more attractive.

Incidentally the cheapest Practical version (forget the Starter edition) version of W7 in the above article

Das Einrichten von Netzwerken soll in Windows 7 generell viel einfacher von der Hand gehen als noch in Windows Vista. Diese Edition soll 259,95 US-Dollar kosten.

is roughly equivalent to Vista home premium -- but won't have RDP and some other decent networking stuff. These days a lot of people want to be able to access their home computers remotely -- things like RDP should be standard not seen as a typical business user ownly feature.

Windows 7 Starter edition ---- -- forget it --it's like VISTA Home basic -- who uses it anyway so I haven't requoted it from the article.

I'm not against Microsoft making legitimate money (or anyone else for that matter --especially if it's me) but a reasonable pricing policy would ensure far less piracy and conversely MORE REVENUE.

If they were to take around 100 USD off each price --that would probably swing it for most people -- also you can "Gouge" the corporates a bit more to subsidize the "Normal users".

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
I really don't think the pricing will be that high.. Microsoft wants to move product like any other company and setting prices that high isn't going to get the job done.... ;) I look for them to be about half that...

Hi there
I'm also sure you are right.

These prices are way too high in the present environment -- especially if there isn't actually a pressing reason to upgrade the OS -- As I've posted in another thread there are ways to make XP even look something like W7 or certainly like VISTA so if people are "cash strapped" they can avoid an expensive upgrade and still have a W7 "look alike" OS on their desktop / laptops.

Most technology actually gets cheaper as it matures - just look at the prices of computer hardware now compared with even 2 years back - so there isn't any reason why the OS should actually be MORE expensive than the previous version (VISTA).

I think Radenight is correct in that the prices will be about half of those posted in the article -- or maybe very slightly higher.

If the OS is TOO expensive people will also head in droves to the torrents as well.

The music and film industry shows what happens when a product is priced too high. Now whatever they do to attempt to stop illegal downloads the "Pirates" are already too well entrenched and even after a Court Case sites like "The Pirate Bay" are still broadcasting loud and strong and telling the stupid Lawyers to "Go and make a Sexual Move with a Duck"..

The next business model however won't actually be selling the OS but a "Subscription" model for accessing services -- not a model I like but that's the way its going ("Corporate Greed" should be added to Death and Taxes as another of life's inevitable things).

Windows Live (an abominations IMO) is a starter for this type of model -- currently free but just wait and see for "Premium" or "Suscription" based content services to start rearing their ugly heads. "Suscription based" models actually in theory can generate enormous sums as they tend to sucker people in with low / introductory offers. People then sign automatic payments and often never cancel long after they've stopped using the service. -- Nice little earner if you can get it.

Thank goodness for Open Source stuff like most Linux Distros -- these will get a real uplift if Microsoft prices itself out of the market -- and to those who've never used a Linux distro some of them are really slick and can almost replace Win dows even for quite unsophisticated users.

I like the look of W7 and am sure at the right price it will be a HUGE success -- but not at the prices outlined in the article - especially whilst the older OS'es still run most people's apps and hardware successfully.

Cheers
jimbo

Back