Windows 7 ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512mb & Win7 SP1

Leafsdude

So I installed SP1 yesterday and the first thing I noticed was that my resolution was shot. When I looked at the device manager, it showed my video card was not working, though no exact details.

Of course, the first thing I did was uninstall the driver, rebooted and then let Live Update reinstall it. It still didn't work. I have tried manually running the drivers from the AMD website but it still failed. I even tried an old set of drivers that worked before they released an official Win7 update, but no joy.

My monitor (ViewSonic VA1916wb 19" which requires an irregular 1440x900 resolution) also needs drivers, though I figure they were still working fine, but device manager couldn't see to it with the card drivers not working. I still fiddled around anyway with several drivers for that for a couple hours, but no luck.

Eventually, I decided to uninstall SP1, since the screen is almost unusable without its suggested resolution, but I guess it doesn't get rid of whatever is causing the problem. Thankfully, I was able to do a System Restore back to before I installed SP1 and, presto, it worked! So it's not a hardware problem and the drivers do work without SP1 fine.

Since the card was updated for Win7 last year, I'm hoping that there's a fix for this once they're aware of it, but if anyone else has suggestions on how to fix this problem, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance. :)

ETA: The exact code I got was Code 43 (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems).

Hi Leafsdude,

I know you say you've tried different drivers but have you come across this one at all?

ATI

Edit:

This hotfix was released today although I'm unsure if it will help in this instance but thought I'd include it anyway...

kb2400157

Last edited:
Re: Driver

Yes, I have. In fact, I meant to include the link to that exact page in my original post. Somehow I must have gotten ahead of myself and forgotten it. Thanks anyway. :)

Doesn't look like the hotfix would work, and I'm at the moment not in a position to try it out. Looking at the file specs, though, it's making me wonder exactly which files weren't dropped when I uninstalled SP1 that caused it to still fail, or if it was a file at all. Any insight into this?

Once again, thanks. :)

Yup agreed about the hotfix.
I do have a hunch however stemming from a similar experience with a game recently. Once I'd installed SP1 the game refused to work until I changed the compatibility mode to vista. I suggest you do the same, un-install the driver, install SP1 and re-install the graphics driver (the 10.2 legacy drivers) but making sure you rightclick on them first and change the compatibility to vista..

Best of luck..

Back