Windows 7 avg antivirus skrewed my win7

JekylHyde

Hi

well, i installed win7.
i customized my desktop & all (to show my computer on the desktop for example)...
i installed comodo firewall & avg antivirus. & after i restarted my pc all my customization was gone!

i got the normal aero theme & all (that i previously canceled)... + the system didn't allow my to run almost anything by saying something like "your current internet security settings prohibit running....." or something similar.

so i uninstalled comodo firewall to check if this is what skrewed me. & no. so i uninstalled avg - & yes. this was the one. i now can run things. but for example when i want to customize mt desktop icons & show my computer on the desktop - i can't! i click it but nothing happens. so i enter the persenolize menu again - & the "V" that i checked there near show my computer is unchecked...

i don't mind right now about what anti virus to use, i just want to set it to be good again. how?
thanks

There should be a sticky on common ACB's to widely used solutions like "Try a system restore" (with instructions how) "Safe mode", "Last good know configuration", (all with instructions how) which we can use to refer too instead of always having to type in these solutions and links on how to...

Now to JekylHyde:

1. First try a system restore to a time before the AV was installed.

2. Didn't help? Try the following steps:

1) Set a restore point, so if you make a mistake you can reboot in safe mode and do a system restore. Some computers are set to do this automatically if you are making changes, but just in case.

2) Delete the program files containing AVG (my path was c:\Program Files\AVG and it subfolders. All deleted easily except a .dll file that I had to have administrator permissions. To delete this file, I right clicked and renamed the file to a .txt. Then on notepad icon, right click and set it to administrator rights, then opened the file (looks like a mess) in notepad and then save without making changes. This removes administrator rights and right click and delete the .dll file from menu.

3) Do a search function looking for avg* and delete anything that comes up.

4) Run a registry cleaner (I already had CCleaner on my computer, its free) and that cleaned the registry. If you can not load CCleaner or don't have a registry cleaning go to Start, click Accessories folder, click run and type regedit. On that window, click on edit then search. I typed in avg*. Search came back negative for me. Voila! AVG is gone. If you don't have a registry cleaner, then of course delete these files that come up.

Back