Overtonwindows

My browser speed is at a crawl, online tests put it at 0.6 mbps. However when I check the connection status it says 56 mbps. This happens in any browser. I've reset Windows and still no improvement. There are no non native programs installed or even any personal files. Just a fresh install. Windows also says it's up to date. Drivers all say they're up to date. It's a Wi-Fi connection, no option for wired hook up due to my layout. Other devices work normally on the network and I’ve reset the router. I've had the computer for about a month and hadn't noticed a problem before, just recently.

Solution
The drivers available through Windows are not always the best option. I would download and install the latest available from the system manufacturer or wireless NIC manufacturer if it's a custom system
The drivers available through Windows are not always the best option. I would download and install the latest available from the system manufacturer or wireless NIC manufacturer if it's a custom system

Solution
Thanks, this did improve things. I'm getting 6.4 mbps now, comparable to my laptop and phone. I guess now I'm wondering why network status reads 58 mbps on desktop and 67 mbps on laptop yet only testing around 6 mbps on all devices. Seems like a huge discrepancy. Something that was probably always there but went unnoticed having never actually tested my speeds prior to now.

Looks like I spoke too soon, it once again dropped to 0.3mbps. Went through the motions of updating again and it improved up to 2.3mbps, then down to 0.7mbps after a couple minutes.

The advertised speed you are seeing is only between your computer and router and only represents what the link is capable of although you'll often not hit the theoretical speed

Back