Windows 7 Black screen last stage of install

opetero

I have been trying to get a friends computer running reliably off and on for over a month. The issue is an incompatability between vista, the mother board and video card. I did find a work around but it left the machine hamstrung. I had hopes a clean install of windows 7 would resolve the issue. It didn't and I am currently stuck on what else to try.

The computer was originally put together by a small shop about the time vista appeared on the scene.

Motherboard is an asus p5vd2-x. Processor Intel duocor. Video card: Nvidia GF-7300

She used the computer without problem for a couple of year or so but one day the video went wonky and the machine slowed to a crawl once I got it running again. After quite a bit of time I realized what had happened. The machine came preinstalled with the original vista before there were any nvidia drivers for vista. The builder had forced it to use the generic vgadrv.sys drivers. Eventually auto update installed an nvidia driver which crashed the system or slowed it down substantially.

There are about 30 drivers for this card of different vintages. I didn't try them all but did try about a dozen different versions stepping through from the oldest to most current. None worked. I then tried doing a clean install of vista in about a dozen different ways to get to at least SP1. I tried the online upgrade, the stand alone upgrade and a variety of builds with sp1 and sp2 slipstreamed into them. All ended up at a ntoskrn.dll fault during install.

I gave up and installed the original version of vista and forced it to use the generic driver. I turned off auto update so microsoft wouldn't again add the none functioning driver and crash the system once again. Lo and behold somehow microsoft managed to replace the driver again????

This time it did some strange stuff which forced me to completely redo the hard drive, replacing the mbr and wiping all data off the drive before repartitioning and reformating.

I then proceeded to do a clean install of windows 7 rtm x86 ultimate. The install looked promising and proceeded normally to the final reboot then the screen went blank and the computer just sat there. I rebooted it a few times hoping the install would see something went wrong and step past the error. It didn't work.

I then tried booting it into safe mode. I got a live screen stating "Setup is preparing your computer for first boot. and a few seconds later a message. "Setup cannot continue in safe mode.To continue installing windows reboot the computer."

Safemode uses the generic video driver so this tells me the black screen problem is again associated with the nvidia drivers windows installs. I tried breaking out of the error message to set the default driver from within safe mode but was unsuccessful.

I have poked around a bit in dos trying to find the inf files involved and/or the drivers being used but do not know the inner workings of windows well enough.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
Personally.... I would start by replacing the video card.

Can you give full system specs? Including PSU wattage?

Good suggestions by teped.

however I have to go back to my standard question.

Did you burnthe ISO at it's slowet speed (1x) and use a quality name-brand DVD.

You can use imgburn to accomplish this:
http://www.imgburn.com]

Thanks for responding :)

Personally.... I would start by replacing the video card.

Can you give full system specs? Including PSU wattage?

That is what I think is needed as well, unfortunately I am located in a very remote place, no stores of any kind. Need to order video card on web and fly in by float plane. I have 1 computer coming back in a week or so from which I can rob the video card to try a swap. I was hoping to force the system to use the generic drivers until then.

No OS on it right now but here's some more info. intel duocore running at 3ghz, 400w power supply, 3gb ram, 250gb sata hdrive, lg burner, 1.44 floppy. ami bios ver 0501 dated 06/29/2007 (is most recent available) I tried a few different versions. also played around with all the bios setting including the defaults. The system is not overclocked.

The same install DVD successfully installed the os on a number of other machines. I also went to the extent of extracting the iso onto an external hard drive and installing from there. Same results.

I think it is definitely a hardware issue. This is not a compatibility issue, could be,,, but I seriously doubt it.
Now,, weather this is Mobo issue or an actual Video card issue,,, the only way to find out is start swapping hardware.

Reghakr - The client recieved the PC in this condition from someone else with Vista Installed. Honestly,, I think she got screwed. There is no way they should have sold the system to her like that.

Again,, I doubt it is compatibility,,, If it were,, they should have put different Hardware in there,,, I don't know,, just seems very shady to me.

Last edited:
I think it is definitely a hardware issue. This is not a compatibility issue, could be,,, but I seriously doubt it.
Now,, weather this is Mobo issue or an actual Video card issue,,, the only way to find out is start swapping hardware.
As with vista the video works with the generic vga driver. This was confirmed during the win7 install by forcing it into safe mode. The video was ok but the install wouldn't complete in safe mode. It also wouldn't let me step out of the error message in order to muck around.

If I knew which video driver the boot is loading and deleted it, (or possibly renamed the generic driver to that name) it may default to the generic driver and continue. There is probably an install log somewhere which would give me the needed information but I don't know the system well enough to find it.

I will try booting with bart where I have access to a little better file manager and poke around. If anyone knows the filename I am looking for or where they might be located it would narrow my search.

opetero,

Could you please fill out your complete computer specs in th UserCP link located at the top left of the page.
This can be very helpful for us.

The motherboard would provide us with some good information.

OK filled out what I know. I have no documentation for this machine and there is currently no OS. ERD commander gives me limited info.

BIOS: ami ver 0501 dated 06/29/2007
Powersupply: 400w
1.44 floppy installed to do bios upgrade.
Also has multi memory card reader

There are so many Realtek High Definition audio cards out there that are different

Go to Start, Run, and type msinfo32, expand the Components section and you'll see a detailed list of your hardware or
Download System_Information_Viewer If you need more info you http://majorgeeks.com/_d4779.html]SYsyem

or Information Viewer at http://majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html]SIW
I don't want to take a chance and point you to the wrong drivers.

One thong you might need after installing the drivers is the High Definition Audio Codec available here:
Realtek

Last edited:
Back