Windows 7 Black Screen of Death help pls!

Raenwald

Hi everyone!

Now here is my problem: first of all I checked as many "black screen of death" threads as I could during these past few days. There seems to be many different versions and solutions for this but none of them worked for me so here I am.

Now when I start my laptop, everything goes fine until the welcome screen (have win 7 btw) The welcome screen appears at a lower resolution (1400x1050) while my normal resolution is 1920x1080. After the welcome screen, I see my desktop for like 0.1 seconds (at 1400x1050 again) and then everything goes black. Only ctrl-alt-del works but nothing there works too so I cannot see the task manager if I open it too. This happens 80% of the time I turn on my computer (or I just go to sleep mode and when awakened, most of the time I dont get the black screen)

I tried startup repair, reinstalling display drivers, malwarebytes, and some other fix I found on the net, but nothing.

Then something came to my mind. Now when at home I always have a HDMI cable connected to my external monitor so I don't use my laptop's monitor. And the resolution I use on the external monitor is 1600x1050. Now I am away from home for a while and this black screen started when I am away (and using the laptop monitor ofc) So I thought maybe this has something to do with this, what do you think?

And I am also open for other suggestions too:)

Also sorry for the loong post but I appreciate your help, this is so annoying.

And noticed something now, I hear a disconnect sound (same as the sound u get when u disconnect a USB device or smt) right before the screen goes black. But have no idea what it is or is it related since I cant see anything..

can you get the error code at the bsod? i google it first thing. Additionally, if you haven’t already, please take some time and fill out your system specs in your forum profile area Help Us To Help You By Filling In Your System Specs. .
Good luck

Last edited:
Hi there, sorry for the missing specs, didnt see that part of the profile. Just filled that as much as I can now though, I write it here too for convenience. Also I cannot get any error code unfortunately.

My specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM Processor - Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
4x 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
Nvidia GTX 560M

Hi there, sorry for the missing specs, didnt see that part of the profile. Just filled that as much as I can now though, I write it here too for convenience. Also I cannot get any error code unfortunately.

My specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM Processor - Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
4x 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
Nvidia GTX 560M

well - this might help:

First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter

Click on the Advanced tab

Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button

Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked

Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box

Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be found later<<

Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Do your best to accumulate the data required.

Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)

Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.

Likewise RAMMon.
Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.

First of all, thanks for your detailed reply mate! I did all you said, though when I made the changes and clicked OK in startup and recovery and I reopened it, all things returned to what they were (Kernel dump) so I couldnt get a minidump file.

Here is everything else u wanted, hope they will help. Cheers!

View attachment logs.rar

To make it sure, you're not getting a BLUE screen of death, you're getting a black screen? Black screens don't create a dump file, as far as I understand. Black screens are usually just plain black, with a blinking "-" or then they have some text.

As such, leaving an external monitor in order to use the laptop monitor, shouldn't be a problem. Windows usually recognizes these matters automatically. What comes to mind is, perhaps you have it set from BIOS, to use external monitor and, thus, it won't work? So, check your settings there.

Yes it is just a BLACK screen, I guess my desktop opens normally, but the monitor fails to show it, so it is just plain black screen. I will check my BIOS settings, although I didnt change anything there, but who knows.

Hello again. Just tried the power button thing, and no luck. (And if it was something related with excessive charge, why would the resolution change before black screen?)
Also checked the BIOS settings, but couldn't find anything related to monitor or something.

Edit: Just found another temporary fix, when I get the black screen an close the laptop's lid (which just shuts down the monitor, nothing else) and reopen it, I get the correct resolution and screen. It seems that this has something to do with my graphics driver (but like I said I already reinstalled the drivers) or some startup setting in windows as far as I can think of...

Last edited:
Sorry the advice didn't help. When you start your computer, do you get the POST = white letters showing where you're going? That POST is not dependent of Windows, it's pure basic BIOS, and if you lack it, that would be a sign of a basic issue.

I think you may have some weird overrun of your laptop's monitor drivers. It may have been caused when installing the HDMI. It could be a registry issue too. What I would do is, to go to Safety Mode by pressing F8 at boot = right after the beep, uninstall monitor / graphics drivers, then reboot and go to F8 again, and re-install the ORIGINAL drivers you got with the computer. That way you get to point zero.

Another option is, take it to a Restoration Point, through F8. Choose a point "far enough" to nullify any driver installations. This will have the effect that you loose all installed programs after that date. Windows 7 can tell you what you loose, when you click "Which programs will this affect".

Third option is, you have a hardware problem. Your monitor is done. It happens, you know. Like with normal electricity, light bulbs go out, but electricity still runs.

I don't know what happened but it is just fixed by itself... Didn't encounter black screen for the past couple of days, and I didn't do anything at all.
Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom