Blue Screen With New Hardrive

cMc214

Adding a second HDD to my PC is causing a blue screen on boot.

I hope someone can help me with this. I have a spare HDD from a recently upgraded laptop lying around and want to install it in my desktop in addition to the 1 SSD I have in there currently. The problem is once I connect the drive and try to boot I boot right into blue screen. Disconnect the HDD and it boots fine. Don't cringe but I even tried a hot install of the drive once the machine was up and running and it blue screened as soon as I connected it. Take that same HDD and plug it into USB port via an adapter and it reads as a perfectly fine NTFS formatted blank drive. I already tried a different SATA jack on my MOBO. I am out of ideas but I suspect some of you more knowledgeable people may lead me into settings in the bios but its is beyond my skill to mess around in there too much without a good guide. Any help would be appreciated.......

Time of this report: 2/21/2019, 09:47:23
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450F
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/07/18 15:41:47 Ver: 05.0000D (type: BIOS)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Hard Drive: Samsung Evo 1 Tb
Memory: G.Skill Trident RGB 32 Gb 3000mhz
Page File: 18780MB used, 20831MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
If it doesn't help, can you post you minidump files from C:\windows\minidump\ or follow the sticky guide to grab them and your system info.

cMc214

Problem solved I messed around in the BIOS boot menu for a while until I got it to work. It wasn't as simple as the boot order but I got it. Thank you anyways!

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Any chance you could let us know which setting you changed.

cMc214

Okay so here goes. The USB I originally booted from when I installed Windows 10 on the new machine was at the time plugged into the PC. Though I deleted the Windows 10 ISO I never renamed the USB. The USB was showing up on the boot override list. This never affected me when I only had one drive but for some reason became a problem when I installed the second drive. To fix I removed the USB and it disappeared off of the override list. I set my boot order and booted fine both drives working normally. I then plugged in the USB and renamed it. All is working well now.