Windows 10 Blue Screen With New Hardrive

cMc214

Adding a second HDD to my PC is causing a blue screen on boot.

I hope someone can help me with this. I have a spare HDD from a recently upgraded laptop lying around and want to install it in my desktop in addition to the 1 SSD I have in there currently. The problem is once I connect the drive and try to boot I boot right into blue screen. Disconnect the HDD and it boots fine. Don't cringe but I even tried a hot install of the drive once the machine was up and running and it blue screened as soon as I connected it. Take that same HDD and plug it into USB port via an adapter and it reads as a perfectly fine NTFS formatted blank drive. I already tried a different SATA jack on my MOBO. I am out of ideas but I suspect some of you more knowledgeable people may lead me into settings in the bios but its is beyond my skill to mess around in there too much without a good guide. Any help would be appreciated.......

Time of this report: 2/21/2019, 09:47:23
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450F
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/07/18 15:41:47 Ver: 05.0000D (type: BIOS)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Hard Drive: Samsung Evo 1 Tb
Memory: G.Skill Trident RGB 32 Gb 3000mhz
Page File: 18780MB used, 20831MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

If it doesn't help, can you post you minidump files from C:\windows\minidump\ or follow the sticky guide to grab them and your system info.

Problem solved I messed around in the BIOS boot menu for a while until I got it to work. It wasn't as simple as the boot order but I got it. Thank you anyways!

Okay so here goes. The USB I originally booted from when I installed Windows 10 on the new machine was at the time plugged into the PC. Though I deleted the Windows 10 ISO I never renamed the USB. The USB was showing up on the boot override list. This never affected me when I only had one drive but for some reason became a problem when I installed the second drive. To fix I removed the USB and it disappeared off of the override list. I set my boot order and booted fine both drives working normally. I then plugged in the USB and renamed it. All is working well now.

Back
Top Bottom