Windows Vista Booting problem (bad one)

nemar

Hello guys,
Im writing here because this is my last hope , i really pray that you can help me!!
Something like 2 months ago i started having problems with Vista...my PC is brand new and haven't had any problem , but then all of a sudden things started going wrong:
My operating system ( Vista home 32bit) kept freezing from time to time , programs stopped working and i had to stare at a grey-like desktop...i couldn't even ctrl+alt+del or alt+tab!! the only thing i could do was reboot manually
Everytime i reboot after a freeze though, i always recieve a dos error message : most of the times it's something like BOOTING FAILED , INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER but also this: BOOTMRG IMAGE IS CORRUPT or any kind of problem regarding winload.exe. Sometimes it's not even an error message..the screen remains on the starting page without showing anything else...usually that screen page lasts a few seconds when everything works...now it lasts hours! The curious thing is that i just need to turn off my PC , WAIT like a few hours , then try to turn on my pc again and it works perfectly. I still need to figure it out... i mean , if ther's a problem how come i just need to try again after a few hours and it works? Sometimes my OS works perfectly , i can run up to 20 programs without lag but other times it's just too laggy or slow to even open a folder! and of course when it happens i cant turn it off...i have ot reboot...and then again the error messages come up! This is really frustrating...i tried repairing it with the vista disk but nothing happened..i tried to install every single update but again nothing...i've run more than one antivirus ...i've browsed for a solution on the web and tried everything but still nothing:( if any of you know the source of my problem please let me know!!!
Thank you for your time
Nemar

Hem i got some updates!
I think i found out the problem : my hard disk is not being recognized!
I noticed that when windows doesn't boot and i access Bios i can see that as master 0 and slave 0 ther's NONE while as master 2 thers my dvd reader
Today my pc was working perfectly , i went in BIOS and saw that this time as master 0 something popped: MAXTOR STM3500320AS ...that's my hard disk!! but could this really be the problem? would it justify the OS freezes and slowdowns?
And if Yes , is it necessary my hard disk the problem , or maybe it could be vista that doesn't recognize it?
Please if you can help a noob like me , do it ! :)

Thanks in advance,
Nemar

Hi Nemar,

firstly, please post your machine spec with as much detail as possible. Secondly, try installing the latest drivers for your machine and that means all drivers, not just sound and graphics. Again if you post your spec I'll be able to point you in the right direction...

Your probably thinking that because the machine is new that all drivers will be up to date. This is rarely the case.

Hi!
Thanks for your answer
here are my specs :

Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu E8400 @ 3.00GHz
RAM : 4 GB ( 2x 2GB)
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Hard Disk : MAXTOR STM3500320AS ATA
DVD: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D ATA

Hope it's enough ;)
Nemar

Hem i got some updates!
I think i found out the problem : my hard disk is not being recognized!
I noticed that when windows doesn't boot and i access Bios i can see that as master 0 and slave 0 ther's NONE while as master 2 thers my dvd reader
Today my pc was working perfectly , i went in BIOS and saw that this time as master 0 something popped: MAXTOR STM3500320AS ...that's my hard disk!! but could this really be the problem? would it justify the OS freezes and slowdowns?
And if Yes , is it necessary my hard disk the problem , or maybe it could be vista that doesn't recognize it?
Please if you can help a noob like me , do it ! :)

Thanks in advance,
Nemar
You could have a bad disc, try cleaning it up a bit,or get another one. Here's an article you should read: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista (chances are you haven't got a bad disc drive- save the warrenty if it turns.....)

Hi!
Thanks for your answer
here are my specs :

Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu E8400 @ 3.00GHz
RAM : 4 GB ( 2x 2GB)
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Hard Disk : MAXTOR STM3500320AS ATA
DVD: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D ATA

Hope it's enough ;)
Nemar

Hi Nemar,

thanks for the info...

I notice you have 4GB of RAM. Now unless you use a 64bit operating system that RAM will not be seen and may be causing some of your problems. I'd either take one stick out or go 64bit.
I also checked out the firmware for your HDD and there is an update. Here is the link for you to ensure you have the latest version and you must follow the instructions to the letter.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Edit: Please list motherboard also..

Wouldn't it be great if us 32bit os users could use 4GB of RAM!

Unfortunately the above is not the case and your system will probably report around 3.5GB maybe smaller depending on other factors.

This link gives explanation why:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Have you checked for any virus's, spyware and adware and the likes. Could be some sort of bug playing havoc with your system or a registry error of some sort. I would suggest using AVG anti virus, or Avast. Then run this if you do not have them:

Spybot S&D
Adaware 2008 AE
Malwarebytes
CCleaner
Auslogics disk defrager
Auslogics registry defrager
Advance System Care 3 (for every day use)
Spyware doctor (from google pack)

All these can be downloaded free from cnet.com except for spyware doctor, that comes from the googel home page under more tab at top and then from the drop down menu the even more, then scroll down to bottom of page and click pack. Then pick the options you want, I just recommend spyware doctor. Then run all these apps and reboot. Then if problem seems to persist, then it sounds like a bad hard drive or your hard drive is going bad and you need to replace it.

HI again! Thanks everyone for your replies , i really appreciate your help!
I couldn't reply earlier because my PC was unable to run all day long...looks like the problem is happening more often :(
Kemical : this is my motherboard info : Model LP DK P45-T2R Chipset: Intel P45/P43/G45/G43
Thanks a lot for your notification about the firmware , im gonna run it right now since i couldn't do it today!
Celestra: I never really thought about this when i put 4 GB of ram but i dont think this is the source of the problem...i think it's more related to the HD. I've followed your suggestion and i opened the case and tried to clean it as much as i could , but no good results :/
Bassfisher: I've run multiple antivirus scans with Nortn and Avira and i've also used spywares like CCleand and spybot but apart some silly notification the first scans , nothing important was found..
I'm gonna run the firmware for my HD now and let you know if there are any updates , thanks a lot everyone!!!
Nemar

Hi! I'm sorry I could not be in the conversation earlier, but I've spent the afternoon working with an Aconis True Image tech. I went from trial to permanent and an error occured during installation. I was told to remove the program and "Windows Installer" shut down. He tried Reg Cleaner with no results, then a power tool with no results. We reinstalled, like I had it before, because it was the only thing I could do--- with a repair. I'm on hold -he had to go home. This thing is worse than any Norton product you'll ever see.....With the repair I couldn't get my registration to work etc.
I don't know, wouldn't the partition size be off with 4 gig ram ? That might read as corrupt, although the gentleman in the article I quoted, had no problems???? (His disk drive maybe be skipping or not reading- that would read as corrupt ) Important to clean out disc drive.... disc clean up in computer. (Yes, Motherboard important. Kemical will check to see if it handles 4 gigs ram ok. Viruses can lodge in the disc clean-up...

The firmware didn't bring any good news :( actually the problem seems worse lol
Whenever i turn my pc on (even when my HD is being recognized) it sutomatically turns off 3-4 secs after i push the turn-on button...and then after a few seconds it automatically turns on again...isn't that weird?
Now , when my HD is recognized and everything kinda works , it's really impossible to use any program or application for more than just a few minutes because it freezes or stops working without any explanation...i couldn't even read my mail (gmail is particulary slow)
I really start thinking ther's no solution for this :p
Nemar

I was just looking in the forum after upgrading to 64bit win 7 and then saw your post....

You don't mention the size of your PSU. Please post as this could be a factor.

Also please check your bios is the correct version by going here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I'd also check the cables attached inside the pc and make sure eveything is connected ok...

Hi! Thanks for your reply :)
MY Bios version seems correc and i've checked the cables in the case a few times these days but they're all well connected
Regarding my Power supply , all i can retrieve is this AC 230 V tag but can't find more specific details :(

Did you build the system yourself or buy it from a dealer? If it's from a dealer then maybe they have the details?

If your PSU isn't powerful enough it could explain some of the symptoms you've been having..

Also, please take out one stick of RAM so there's only one remaining and see if that helps any. If it doesn't, do the same but with the other stick.. This will go some way to crossing the RAM off as a possible cause.

Almost definately!
If you can, try doing a clean install making sure you have the latest drivers at hand. I thought you'd already tried safe mode so thats why I didn't mention it but lets say your chipset driver is either wrong or out of date then it could cause some of the stuff you've mentioned. Don't forget that chipsets control things like IDE/PATA and SATA....

Back