Windows 7 Booting Win 7 from install disk

Joeygm77

I am trying to upgrade from Windows Vista 32bit to Win 7 64bit. The only way to do a fresh install for me would be to boot the installer from the disk. When I hit f12 or whatever and select boot from cd/dvd drive, it says BOOTMGR missing and my computer restarts. So I can't install Windows 7. I am installing on my laptop and have no other partitions or drives running other versions of Windows. I am attempting to install this on my sole HDD. Thanks for the help guys.

Go into Bios and change the Disk Controller from ahci to ATA or IDE.

Can you boot the Vista dvd ok?

Booting my Vista disk as well as a Windows7 32bit disk works fine. It is the 64bit disk is what is giving me problems

Could easily be a fault with the disk - I would d/l the .iso and burn your own.

Have a look at tblount's blog
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Quite a few people have damaged dvd's - percentage wise, it's small - in absolute numbers , it is a lot.

Does the fact your other dvd's are fine give any clues?

I tried inserting the disk on a friends computer and the 64bit installation disk seemed to run fine, which indicated that it is not damaged.

If the disk is ok - it presumably is connected with your harware or dvd drivers/firmware. Maybe someone else will pitch in here. I avoid oem laptops - so all I can suggest is you check the oem site to see your model is ok for 64 bit , and then for any Bios, or dvd upgrades for your model.

Sometimes a disk will work on one PC but not another. Might be something about the disk reader or the disk brand you choose.
Joe

Back