Windows 7 Brand new build win 7 64 bit blue screen. Need help

jHollaby

Two weeks ago I built a brand new PC for work use (Adobe cs4 suite mainly).

I was using XP 32 bit. I did not upgrade to Vista as I had no problems with XP.

I wanted a 64 bit system so I could have access to more ram for HD video editing.

Also I sometimes use a PC at a friend’s office which has the same specs as my new build (see below) which so far work has worked without any problems and is wonderfully fast, responsive, and reliable.

However, my new PC blue screens every time I do something that is CPU or memory intensive.

So far it has blue screened while trying to open a large premiere pro CS4 project, during two attempts to render from premiere pro projects that did open, while importing music files into a new install of ITunes and while trying to play some large video files with GOM player and WMP.

I tried to use a debugger to interpret the DMP file with no success. I have no idea what any of it means.

I have had to go back to my old XP machine which is hugely disappointing.

I have downloaded the latest drivers for the GPU and onboard audio for the motherboard.

I would be hugely grateful if someone could help me diagnose the problem

I have attached a zip file with the DMP files and a file called ' WER-48937-0.sysdata.xml' (win7 told me this contains info on the crash when it re-started).

Below are the specs of the new build.

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping

Asus P6T SE Intel X58

OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9

GeForce GTX 260

Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB x2 (data)

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB (system OS and APPs)

Corsair TX 650W ATX

Thanks in advance
JH

Have you tried updating the chipset and other drivers using the ones from ASUS?

Thank for the prompt reply.

I installed the latest W7 chipset drivers from the ASUS website.

I have used the PC all day without any crashes. So it appears to have fixed the problem.

However, I neglected to mention that originally I had two sets of the 6 GB memory kits for 12 GBs in total.

Before I wrote the original post I took out one of the kits as I thought this might have been the problem. My reasoning for this was that although I had ordered two identical kits, at closer inspection I found that the two kits were 1333 MHz, but had different timings. one kit was 9-9-9-2 and the other was 7-7-7-2 (or something close to that). I currently have the slower latency 6 GB kit in the PC.

My question now is should I be able to put the other kit back in without any problems or should I swap one of the kits for an identical set?

Thanks again
JH

I was using XP 32 bit. I did not upgrade to Vista as I had no problems with XP

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install.

I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify. The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not

It is a brand new build. Brand new HDD and clean install
XP is on my old machine still

If it was me, I would want all the memory matched as closely as possible. I do not know if a mismatched set will run without causing problems.

Back
Top Bottom