Windows 7 Brother Control Center 4 not opening/loading with Windows 7

adamfryett

Hi,

I am operating with Windows 7 64 bit (6.1.7601); Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM. I have attached my system information if there is anything else that might help!

My problem is pretty frustrating. I've just bought a Brother Printer (MFC-J6510DW) and have been trying to get Brother's Control Center 4 (CC4) to install to my laptop. The installation process works fine, and my laptop is able to 'connect' to the printer, yet when I try to open the CC4 application, nothing happens. The icon is visible, it is visible in my program files, and even shows as running in my Notification Area. Yet when I double click the icon, the mouse shows the spinning loading symbol, then nothing!

I've contacted Brother, and they have been pretty unhelpful. As the software is running without issue on my girlfriends laptop though, who is also operating on Windows 7 64 Bit, they have suggested that it may be an issue with my laptop as opposed to the software. That's why I came here!

I have tried a multitude of solutions, and none have worked yet. Having scoured the web for similar situations, I have yet to find a similar situation or solution.

This includes;
-Running program as administrator
-Reinstalling the software (a lot!)
-Running the program in various other compatibility modes (XP and Vista - not really sure what I was doing here, so that still might be an option to try properly!)
-Updating the software with the latest update via Brother's support website, including updating the Printers firmware
-Installing the software entirely of Brothers website, as opposed to using the provided installation CD

I'm not particularly good with technical computer knowledge, so any help would be much appreciated; I really need to get this software working. Without it, I am unable to scan over the network wirelessly, which is one of the reasons I bought the printer!

Many thanks,
Adam.View attachment System info.txt

Last edited:
Also, if there is any other information required, please don't hesitate to ask if you think it might help! Like I said, my computer knowledge is pretty basic, so I'm not really sure what is needed to start solving this problem! But you guys are the experts, so just let me know what is needed to help!

If you right click, or click, the icon in the notification area does it allow you to open the utility?

If you open task manager, does an instance of the utility show as already running under the Applications tab, or do you see any processes or services that might be related? Also, is the "Spooler" service running?

Is there any special function that is not working, or can you access the printer to do anything without CC4?

Have you loaded all the software the unit might need?

Do you show any problem devices in the Device Manager?

Hi Saltgrass,

Cheers for the quick reply!

When I right or left click the icon in the Notification Area, again, nothing happens.

In task manager, there is nothing running in the applications tabs, yet in the processes tab there is a service running called BrCcUxSys.exe *32 running; described as the Control Center UX System (I think this must be related as it removes the icon from the Notification Area when I end the process).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the Spooler service? Sorry!

I do have access to the printer i.e. I can print via File>Print in various programs such as Photoshop. This would be fine, but I need the Control Center to scan to my laptop over the network, which is one of the primary reasons I bought the printer!

I have installed everything that comes with the installation CD, and like I said, even tried downloading the software entirely via the Brother website, as well as downloading the Control Center update (which Brother suggests would lead to solving this problem), and even updating the printer firmware. In terms of the update on the website, here is the link from the support page (it comes under 'I cannot start Control Center 4'), which to me suggests this may be a recurrent problem? Yet I have tried downloading this and still, no luck! After receving a reply from Brother today also, they suggested reinstalling Flash player, yet that also did not work.

I can't see any problem devices in the device manager window.

Thanks for your help and time!
Adam

Spooler is a service. Look for it in the Task Manager Services tab.

Could an anti-virus or firewall be blocking the software? I have several Epson Inbound firewall rules in the Windows Firewall. There are also some things in the Outbound section. You might check your girlfriend's system and compare what rules are configured. Look for CC4 and also anything with WSD

Does the printer do anything when you try to start the CC4?

If you go to the printer's IP address with a browser, do you see a setup page?

Spooler is a service. Look for it in the Task Manager Services tab.

Could an anti-virus or firewall be blocking the software? I have several Epson Inbound firewall rules in the Windows Firewall. There are also some things in the Outbound section. You might check your girlfriend's system and compare what rules are configured. Look for CC4 and also anything with WSD

Does the printer do anything when you try to start the CC4?

If you go to the printer's IP address with a browser, do you see a setup page?

I'm having the same problen. Yes! I did find Spooler and it is running. Now what do I do? I can't seem to make it stop.

I have the exact same problem. It works from my W7 Home Prem pc's fine but not from my W7 Pro pc's is the only thing I can add.

I was having the same problem as everyone else here. CommandCenter4 would not open. My fix was simple. I had to remove the "Dell" folder from the C:/windows/twain_32 folder. That is all it took. I didn't delete the folder, I just moved to my desktop to see if that fixed it and it did. I guess my old Dell printer installed that folder a while back and it was interfering some how. Every thing seems to be working just fine now.

@nitsur: just a small note, that's a good way to test almost anything. Another good way to test is to rename the file(s) / folder(s) by simply adding, say, 1 in the end of the name, so it would be Folder1 when it originally was called plain Folder. That way the program in use or doubt doesn't recognize it.

Deleting something that may be crucial is risky, better to test first.

Good point, m8! :wave:

Always check before deleting a file. I also used to add (1) to file names to be safe. In this case I knew what I was moving but for those that do not know, play it safe and hang on to that file for a bit before you delete it. Cheers!

I was having the same problem as everyone else here. CommandCenter4 would not open. My fix was simple. I had to remove the "Dell" folder from the C:/windows/twain_32 folder. That is all it took. I didn't delete the folder, I just moved to my desktop to see if that fixed it and it did. I guess my old Dell printer installed that folder a while back and it was interfering some how. Every thing seems to be working just fine now.

I am having same problem with Brother software CC4 and have taken all the steps others have reported: downloaded & installed cc4 updater, uninstalled printer software and reinstalled from installation disk, turned off virus and firewall programs while trying to launch CC4. My twain_32 folder does not have a Dell folder, as Nitsur found and removed, but it does have something called: wiatwain.ds Does anyone know if I can remove that safely?

Sometimes scanners need the drivers to be installed BEFORE hardware is connected. Not sure, but you might try to uninstall everything about it, unplug your device, reboot, install everything and THEN plug the device.

Hope you get it running. :)

Hi, I could fix this issue... I have done these steps to resolve this issue..

1) When I removed Bother Control center Application, I noticed its setup folder was not removed from programs folder, hence I removed it manually. As safer side you can move this "Brother" named (C:\Program Files (x86)) folder to some where else like desktop or D: drive etc: : Note, you have to do this once you uninstall Control center application.
2) Cleaned registry errors using CCleaner named third party free application.
3) Then I removed "BrMfSc09b" named folder from (C:\Windows\twain_32).
4) Restart the PC, Re-install Control center...

It started working, try... and let us know the status..

By,
SAJID

Not bad, Sajid. I like the entrepreneurial, I certainly do. That was major in Klondyke, as well as with Columbus and Vasco da Gama, and many others. Not always with only good results, but we don't live in caves anymore, do we? Time goes forward, I don't believe in time travel.

We need to ask.

Thanks for sharing, that's a main point in this Forum. Best of all for 2015, and the many years you'll have to come.

Last edited:
Hey, I didn't read the whole thing, not sure if the problem has been solved but I've been having the same problem with windows 8 and have found the problem. I was trying to create a shortcut to CC4 but it would never open CC4. After a few attempts I've realised the target path in the shortcut is wrong, It needs to have the model in there for example mine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlCenter4\BrCcBoot.exe" /model="MFC-J6910DW LAN" which I got from the BrLauncher config settings. Note that in the config settings it doesn't have the asterisks at the start/end of the target path, they need to be added for it to work.

I am having same problem with Brother software CC4 and have taken all the steps others have reported: downloaded & installed cc4 updater, uninstalled printer software and reinstalled from installation disk, turned off virus and firewall programs while trying to launch CC4. My twain_32 folder does not have a Dell folder, as Nitsur found and removed, but it does have something called: wiatwain.ds Does anyone know if I can remove that safely?

LesKaye....thanks...worked like a charm. I closed the Brother processes that were open in Task Manager, moved the Dell folder from the file twain32 in the Windows folder, checked it as saw it was an old dell printer so I deleted it. CC4 opened easily and I am happily scanning from my Brother MFC 9130 CW's touch screen. (I had the same problem as others...I could scan when I opened the printer through Devices and Printers on my Windows 7 PC, but could not scan from the Brother's touch screen....endless attempts to "communicate" with my PC. And, when I tried to open CC4 to adjust, it would not open, just would not respond to a command to open.) Thank you so much...I am not particularly computer savvy and really appreciate it.

This is how I fixed this problem... I can not believe it was that easy and I also can not believe people at Brother had no idea either...

Just a heads up, if you try to use the "Scan to Email" feature in the Brother ControlCenter 4 software, and get an error that says something like "no default E-mail application is registered on the computer (Error code CC4-121-xxxxxxxx), here's the solution (for Windows 7, anyway):

1) Go into the "Default Programs" control panel applet
2) Select "Set program access and computer defaults"
3) Select the downward pointing arrows to the right of the "Custom" radio button.
4) Under "Choose a default e-mail program", select the name of the email program you want. ("Use my current e-mail program" will probably be selected by default, but it won't work) I had to set Windows Live mail here....
5) Voila!

It had me stumped for a while; under the regular Default Programs selection applet, I had the email program (WLM) set as the default for all extensions, but the Brother CC4 software wouldn't pick it up properly. But, after doing the above, it worked fine.

Maybe a little late, but here is the solutions that worked for me in windows 8.1:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlCenter4 and right click brccboot.exe and in compatibility tab check Run this program as administrator, apply and restart control center 4.

This happened to all version of Windows when they released a security update in early December.

Go to Help.Brother-usa secure site look for/app/answers/detail/a_id/122237.

Or Regedit the user keys, search for Software, Brother. Search for 'ModernStyle' and Replace with 'ClassicStyle'.

Back