Windows 7 BSOD during Windows 7 Installation

levik

Hi all,

I try to install Windows 7 on computer with Windows XP SP3.
After step of loading files I get the BSoD with following error:
STOP: 0x0000005C (0x0000010B, 0x00000003, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).
When I run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, it no reports about any problem with installation ability.

Here is hardware configuration:
CPU: Intel Pentium D 945 (3.4GHz)
Motherboard: MSI MS-7173
Chipset: ATI RADEON Xpress 200P (RS400/RC400/RC410/RXC410/RC415/RD400/RD500-200) + SB450
Memory: 2*1024MB DDR2-SDRAM
BIOS version: 080012 (21/06/2006)
GPU: nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
HD: WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 250GB (16.5 GB free space on C: partition)

What can be a problem and how can I to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Hi Randy, thank you for the fast reply!
I checked the MSI site for the BIOS update - it haven't any new one :-(

Can you share some information as to what you are attempting to accomplish?
Are you trying to configure a dual boot with XP and Win7? Since there is no actual straight upgrade path from XP to Win7, exactly how are you attempting to install the New OS., are you booting from the Install Media, what is the source of the Install Media? Did you purchase a retail disc? or ... Are you booting from DVD or USB device, which you have personally created from an ISO? Do you have the correct version for your system architecture (32bit vs. 64bit)?
Thanks
Randy

Can you share some information as to what you are attempting to accomplish?
Are you trying to configure a dual boot with XP and Win7? Since there is no actual straight upgrade path from XP to Win7, exactly how are you attempting to install the New OS., are you booting from the Install Media, what is the source of the Install Media? Did you purchase a retail disc? or ... Are you booting from DVD or USB device, which you have personally created from an ISO? Do you have the correct version for your system architecture (32bit vs. 64bit)?
Thanks
Randy

I try to install Windows 7 as a primary and single OS, it means I want to format the C: partition. I'm using an original Windows 7 Professional 32bit DVD that was purchased by my company.

Thanks

With that stop error linked to issues with the Hardware Abstraction Layer, I can only think that you might want to examine your current BIOS settings, perhaps attempting whatever you have for defaults.
Load setup defaults
Load Optimized defaults
Load Performance defaults
words to that effect, you may need to try one or two and see if that will get you past the blue screen issue. Probably the more basic the better, so you may also want to make sure you don't have any unnecessary hardware (addon cards, especially modems) installed or peripherals attached stick with basic KVM (Keyboard, Video and Mouse) and wired not wireless.
And just to confirm??? You are booting from the install media correct??

I tried to load BIOS setup default but it dosen't help.

What do you mean whether I'm booting from the install media correct?
I insert the DVD, reboot the computer and when appears a "For boot from CD..." message, I press any key. Then the Windows 7 setup process is begining and after loading files step, BSoD appears.

I tried to load BIOS setup default but it dosen't help.

What do you mean whether I'm booting from the install media correct?
I insert the DVD, reboot the computer and when appears a "For boot from CD..." message, I press any key. Then the Windows 7 setup process is begining and after loading files step, BSoD appears.
Yes that is what I was asking, and thanks for confirming.
Is it possible that this mainboard has an integrated video controller on board? If so, have you tried the install without your Nvidia Addon graphics card installed to see if the install process proceeds any further by just using the integrated graphics chip?
Is the Blue Screen error message the same everytime? Same stop error?
Have you tried with only a single stick of memory installed? Windows 7 is a bit more finicky about memory than was XP.
I've managed to install Windows 7 on some pretty old hardware and haven't run into your issue before. Seems to be hardware specific so perhaps there is something unique about this particular board, have you looked to see if there is a support forum for MSI, where you might find someone with specific information regarding your hardware? With legacy hardware these things can be difficult to shake out.

Is it possible that this mainboard has an integrated video controller on board? If so, have you tried the install without your Nvidia Addon graphics card installed to see if the install process proceeds any further by just using the integrated graphics chip?
I tried this suggestion - same result - BSoD

Is the Blue Screen error message the same everytime? Same stop error?

Yes

Have you tried with only a single stick of memory installed? Windows 7 is a bit more finicky about memory than was XP.
Yes. BSoD

have you looked to see if there is a support forum for MSI, where you might find someone with specific information regarding your hardware? With legacy hardware these things can be difficult to shake out.
OK. I'll try to find any information in a MSI forums.

Thank you very much, Randy!!!

How large is the actual partition that you are attempting to install Win 7 on. You state 16 GB free space, but Win 7 is considerably larger than XP. Perhaps the partition size needs to be increased. My Win 7 installation, with many other apps including Office 2010 complete install occupies approx 27 GB on my C Drive. Windows does need some overhead to install and work properly.

I set my Win 7 partition to 75 GB and have approx. 51 GB free space.

Sorry, I've not managed to be much help. Try going here and plug in MS-7173 into their search box. Doesn't look too promising, might be better off sticking with XP with that hardware.
Regards
Randy

How large is the actual partition that you are attempting to install Win 7 on. You state 16 GB free space, but Win 7 is considerably larger than XP. Perhaps the partition size needs to be increased. My Win 7 installation, with many other apps including Office 2010 complete install occupies approx 27 GB on my C Drive. Windows does need some overhead to install and work properly.

I set my Win 7 partition to 75 GB and have approx. 51 GB free space.

I don't think that the free disk space will do any problem because I mean to format the C: partition (50GB).

If XP is not occupying the entire disk space, you most likely will have to use a partitioning app to increase the XP partition to occupy the entire disk first, before attempting to install Win 7. This is my only guess at this point.

Back