Windows 8 BSOD Kernel Data Inpage Error/ ntoskrnl.exe

Did you uninstall the driver first?
Also looking through the complete set of updates for your system I noticed there were several system updates for Windows 8/8.1 have you applied these too?
Alright finally got that driver installed properly another crash happened however.

Attachments

• 113014-15109-01.zip
    42.1 KB · Views: 487
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {fffff6fc00d72c70, ffffffffc00000c0, c84a3860, fffff801ae58e000}

Probably caused by : volmgr.sys ( volmgr!VmpPartitionRemovedImmediate+46 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
thanks for that. Now the driver is updated we can at least move on to other things as we now know it didn't stop the BSOD.
volmgr.sys is a Windows driver and Hard drive related. In fact all your dump files have been HDD related and what we need to determine is whether it's down to either Windows, apps, drivers or hardware. You've updated most of the drivers so we are probably ok there. You ran a chkdsk which checks for disk errors and that seemed ok so that kinda covers hardware so what about apps?
The dodgy app I've seen in the Driver stack is as i mentioned above Diskeeper. Checking the Windows 8.1 compatibility list tells us that this application has several versions which are not compatible with 8.1. I know you've checked 'Add and remove programs' so try running the trial version of this application:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

To check Windows isn't corrupted right click in the bottom left hand corner of the desktop and from the list choose admin command prompt. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Just to check the HDD further please check it over using this application which works for any make of drive:
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

The dodgy app I've seen in the Driver stack is as i mentioned above Diskeeper. Checking the Windows 8.1 compatibility list tells us that this application has several versions which are not compatible with 8.1. I know you've checked 'Add and remove programs' so try running the trial version of this application:
Still nothing called diskeeper coming up.
Scannow came up clean

Try doing a search for Diskeeper and see what turns up. What was the result of the SeaTools scan?

Last edited:
Try doing a search for Diskeeper and see what turns up. What was the result of the SeaTools scan?
Alright found that diskeeper file in the program files on my C drive was going to uninstall it with the revo tools but it says it will uninstall a program called express cache is that alright?

I was only able to run a couple of the scans so far but they all turned up passed, but I'm going to do a few more when I can.

Alright found that diskeeper file in the program files on my C drive was going to uninstall it with the revo tools but it says it will uninstall a program called express cache is that alright?
So that's what it belongs to.... Express Cache is an application supplied by Lenovo and if you look under 'Software and Applications' you'll find a 2014 update:
http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/pro...pad-twist-series-laptops/thinkpad-twist-s230u
Well that kinda clears up the mystery of diskeeper so let's see if this update improves things.

Don't forget to test with Seatools if the bsod continues.

So that's what it belongs to.... Express Cache is an application supplied by Lenovo and if you look under 'Software and Applications' you'll find a 2014 update:
http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/pro...pad-twist-series-laptops/thinkpad-twist-s230u
Well that kinda clears up the mystery of diskeeper so let's see if this update improves things.
That expresscache software doesn't appear to be a update to the stuff in the diskeeper file but they're by the same company so perhaps the newer one overrides the old one. Have to wait and see I guess

Finally had another BSOD after three days here's the dump. Going to rerun some of those scans again.

Attachments

• 120414-17531-01.zip
    58.3 KB · Views: 396
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {fffff6e000591260, ffffffffc000000e, 1dd46880, ffffc000b224c120}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+3177f )

Followup: MachineOwner
Code:
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - A device which does not exist was specified.

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware
As you can see you still have an issue with the HDD or something related. Please run Seagate and post the results.

Did you go through and apply any of the updates I suggested earlier. (post #20) If you look under 'software and utilities' as well as 'Think Vantage Technology' from the drop down menu you'll see further updates and patches.

At the start of this thread you mention the fact that you had recently re-installed windows. When you performed the install was it an upgrade install or did you boot from the actual Windows disk and install that way?

You still have drivers in need of updating:

bcmwl63a.sys Tue Jul 10 03:52:51 2012: Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter wireless driver. A 2013 version is available on support page:
Download link:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/gawa06ww.exe

RtsP2Stor.sys Wed Aug 08 10:55:36 2012: Realtek Pcie CardReader Driver for 2K/XP/Vista/Win7 A 2013 Windows 8/8.1 driver is on support page:

Tppwr64v.sys Wed Jun 27 13:17:43 2012: ThinkPad Pwr Mgmt Port. 2014 version on support page:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/n15sk03w.exe

Seatool's test all turn up passed on the HITACHI hard drive. All the test fail on the mzmpa024hmcd however I'm not even sure what that is some 24 gb ssd not sure what it does though.

Has for the windows re install I just did the remove everything and re install windows in the update and recovery tab since this laptop doesn't have a disk driver.

Attachments

• 120614-14078-01.zip
    117.3 KB · Views: 475
Ok it took me a little while to work out what was going on but basically you have the model which has a 500GB SATA III Hitachi drive and a 24GB SSD for caching. I think this allows the HDD to act like a SSHD. As you can see from Seagate the 24GB SSD portion of the drive has an issue. To be honest I'm not sure how you would go about fixing this and it might be worth calling Lenovo and explaining what has occurred. I can't remember if I asked you but is the machine still under warranty? Let me know how you get on.

Ok it took me a little while to work out what was going on but basically you have the model which has a 500GB SATA III Hitachi drive and a 24GB SSD for caching. I think this allows the HDD to act like a SSHD. As you can see from Seagate the 24GB SSD portion of the drive has an issue. To be honest I'm not sure how you would go about fixing this and it might be worth calling Lenovo and explaining what has occurred. I can't remember if I asked you but is the machine still under warranty? Let me know how you get on.
Sadly the warranty is out. And lenovo pretty much doesn't let you ask for anything if your out of warranty. But do you think replacing the little ssd thing could fix the issue. They appear to be like fifty bucks online so if I just swapped them you think that could resolve the issue.

Trouble is Sir Bob I'm not sure how they are connected meaning is the SSD and HDD one unit or separate. I'll do some research today and see if you can replace the unit. I'll post back asap.

Looks like it's easy to replace. Read the posts in this page I found via Google:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1250648/

Try doing a search or even asking in the Lenovo forums on what would be a good replacement and if possible, how to go about it
I wonder though if its that little ssd that's causing the problem or the main hard. I watched task manager for a bit to see when it worked and it doesn't seem to do anything, but when i scanned it with the lenovo diagnostic stuff on that update page it showed that it was in use in the task manager and the tests came up clean.
Anyway to know for certain if it just the main hard drive going out or not?

Well Seatools in one of the options open to you but that has already said that there is errors with the 24GB drive which apparently is mainly used to allow you to boot faster. Also when you checked the main drive with chkdsk (as well as Seatools) it came up clean. So far the only thing that's flagged up errors is the 24gb drive.This is why I mentioned phoning Lenovo not for just for warranty support of which you have none but to see what you can do about the drive.. They might be able to advise you.

Basically I build desktop systems and don't go anywhere near small form factors such as laptops. (not enough power :) ) I can tell you what may be wrong but not how to fix it. You will have to do some research yourself. Did you enquire in the Lenovo forums like I suggested?

Basically I build desktop systems and don't go anywhere near small form factors such as laptops. (not enough power :) ) I can tell you what may be wrong but not how to fix it. You will have to do some research yourself. Did you enquire in the Lenovo forums like I suggested?

I think I'm just going to buy a new hard drive and stick it in. The ones that are meant for the laptop are only fifty bucks and if the new hard drive doesn't fix it then I'll move on to that little micro ssd thing. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
If your going for an SSD it might be worth removing both, the 500GB and 24GB too. As I mentioned above though I'm not entirely sure what would be the best way forward which is why I suggested posting in the Lenovo forum.

If you find that after updating the drivers the issue still persists then find do a search for command prompt, right click on it and run as administrator. Type:
chkdsk /f /r
Press enter. You may have to reboot. This scan will check for and try to fix any bad sectors on the HDD.
follow the steps in the below document to make sure that all the hardware components on the computer are working fine.
How to fix Kernel data inpage error - Error Solutions
Solution 1.Test Hard disk drive (HDD)
Solution 2.Test Random-access memory (RAM)

If you find that after updating the drivers the issue still persists then find do a search for command prompt, right click on it and run as administrator. Type:
chkdsk /f /r
Press enter. You may have to reboot. This scan will check for and try to fix any bad sectors on the HDD.
follow the steps in the below document to make sure that all the hardware components on the computer are working fine.
How to fix Kernel data inpage error - Error Solutions
Solution 1.Test Hard disk drive (HDD)
Solution 2.Test Random-access memory (RAM)
Did you actually read the thread or notice the date at all?

Back