Windows 7 BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+f25b3, Lenovo G770 notebook, Win7 ult.

gjobe4845

To Whoever May Be Able to Help,

Last week, I began having BSODs without much useful information: NirSoft BlueScreenView isn't showing drivers for most of them. The system is a Lenovo G770 notebook, Win 7 Ultimate. It has switchable graphics, whatever that is, which periodically pops up a dialog indicating that such-and-such isn't associated with a graphics processor. Since I usually use "simple" stuff (Eclipse, LibreOffice, javac, etc.), I always choose "low power." But I recall an upgrade of something, perhaps Adobe Flash or Apple iTunes, qt, etc. to which I chose high performance, since it actually used video. I'd have kept better notes, had I thought this would spawn BSODs. But that is the only "change" that I recall.

Win 7 computer mgmt dev mgr think my video drivers are up to date. I have no idea where to look next, or what to do (other than throw out a 2 year old machine). I have attempted to upload the requested information. (Firefox seemed to be able to do this, but uploading it from IE 11 kept generating errors.)

I got another one shortly after posting this. I'll send its dump file, too.

Attachments

• W7F_23-11-2013.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,472
  • 112313-21871-01.dmp.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Hi,
apologies for not addressing your post earlier but do you still need help with your issue?

Yes, I'm still seeking assistance. I've done some unproductive research, but nothing that really gives me any concrete insight into what might have caused this to start happening.

You're a kind soul - you apologized for not trying to help in short order, even though you're doing a favor for a complete stranger! If only the real customer service folks were so responsive, what a different world it would be. Thank you very much!

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {fffff8816fdf9360, 0, fffff8800597ba18, 5}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdpmd64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdpmd64.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : igdpmd64.sys ( igdpmd64+15aa18 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,

all your dmp files are the same and point to your Intel graphics driver as the culprit. As your probably aware with laptops the drivers are obtained from the manufacturer. Looking through Lenovo's web page for your machine it would seem that it is carrying later drivers than the ones you have installed.
I would also update anything else that's available too. I noticed a new bios update too.
Using windows to monitor your drivers is fine up to a point but at times it can be a bit hit and miss. Don't use windows update as it doesn't always find the best drivers. The best way is to learn about your machine and monitor them yourself. Sure it means a bit of extra work but your machine will thank you for it and you'll have a better understanding of how your machine is made up.
You can find the support page for your lappie here:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/downloads/default.page?

Update and see how you go. If you get any more bsods please post the dmp files.. Thank you.. :)

First, thank you for the feedback. It is really appreciated. Indeed, I saw the reference to igdpmd64.sys on the actual blue screen dump, but didn't know how to identify what that is. (I suppose an exhaustive search of all the files in all the drivers listed in device manager would work, but that seems like the tedious way.)

I looked at the site you referenced. Indeed, I'd looked at it earlier. Here is what is weird. On my system, I show v. 8.15.10.2342 for this driver, with the specific file bearing a date of 25 March 2011. But on that site, the corresponding updated driver is v. 8.15.10.2279, with an alleged update date of 15 Apr 2011. (See http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS026023) So, is the one on the site older or newer? Judging by the version number, I have a more current version (that came with the machine), because 2342 > 2279. But judging by the date, the one on the site is more recent by a scant 3 weeks. Should I really replace 8.15.10.2342 with 8.15.10.2279 ? That seems suspect to me.

As for the BIOS, unless there is evidence that it's causing a real problem, I'd prefer to mess with as few things as possible, at least until I am confident that the machine is stable. Then, I'll tackle the other things that are out of date.

My apologies if these are stupid questions. I'd love to acquire a mastery of the hardware and systems programming, but for the moment, Java applications pay the bills, and a toddler consumes the remaining time, so I'm farther removed from these things than I feel comfortable with.

On closer inspection I see what you mean. If you'd rather not update for now I guess your other option would be is to focus on the origin of the issue. If you could source that you could either remove it and/or go back to a time before whatever it was happened.

... I see what you mean... focus on the origin of the issue...

It would appear that it always happens during some sort of interaction with IE 11. I have tracked five such instances already. I have, for the past two days, chosen to use either Firefox or Safari exclusively, without incident. (Though there are sites that seem to work properly only with IE, unfortunately.)

I have "switchable" graphics on this machine. I recall binding some application to the "high performance" graphics just prior to this incident arising, but I can't associate it with any particular plug-in. It might be helpful if I could determine, first, how to identify which programs, etc. are bound to each adapter (whatever that means). I tried poking around in the registry, but without a hint where to start, that's looking for a needle in a haystack. I'd also love to know how to completely expunge all traces of IE plug-ins (rather than just disabling them). (I know about running IE sans plug-ins, but what I'd like to do is purge them all and start over in a controlled fashion.)

I must admit that I'm still dismayed by this. IE is (presumably) just another user-mode application program (unless Microsoft is using some cute secret tricks), so the implication of this is that it must be calling on a driver (or other kernel mode component), through a valid interface, to perform some action that elicits the failure. This implies that even if this is a rogue plug-in or something similar, the potential still exists for some other legitimate user-mode app to do that same thing. In theory, even the most misbehaved user-mode code should never be able to cause a BSOD. (Isn't that why this is so much better than Win 95? :) )

Any brainstorms or other ideas welcomed. And thank you, in advance.

This youtube vid shows you how to configure AMD's switchable graphics. It's not the same notebook but I should imagine the process is pretty similar:

As for IE11 it might have become corrupted. Try removing and then re-installing by using 'add and remove windows features' found under Programs via the control panel. Please run Windows update to ensure that IE11 is fully updated.
To manage the add ons ect see screenshot below:

vrc7.jpg

Back