Windows 7 BSOD of Windows 7 partition of iMac

merckle

Hello. So back at the very beginning of October I started getting blue screens. I've 7 since then (possibly 8, may have been one during the night but I'm unsure). It's always PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and mentions MDFSYSNT.SYS. I never really took note of what I was actually doing when they occurred (haven't seen once in many years and they've all given me quite a shock) except or the most recent three that I witnessed; each time I was either moving, editing or deleting a file. Just random files in Pictures or Documents. Not sure if that's important or coincidental.

I've also added in two photos I took with my phone of the actual screen, I doubt they add anything useful but thought I may as well. For whatever reason they most recent 2 (or 3, if there was an extra one last night) did not create dump files and the usual window that pops up after rebooting didn't appear. I've done some searching but I'm pressed for time and there's a lot of different information that can be overwhelming. I've followed the instructions in the "How to ask..." thread, but if there's any other information needed please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• W7F Files.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 417
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {fffff9807bf78a10, 0, fffff88002049ea7, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for MDFSYSNT.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for MDFSYSNT.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : MDFSYSNT.sys ( MDFSYSNT+11ea7 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
all the dump files sent were the same bugcheck and can be caused by out of date drivers, hardware, typically Ram and AV suites.

Although the above mentions MDFSYSNT.sys as the probable cause I think your issue may lay else where. MDFSYSNT.sys relates to:

MDFSYSNT.sys Thu Jul 21 21:25:38 2016: MacDrive file system driver updates can be found here:
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Looking through your drivers though it appears your running Kaspersky AV suite as well as Avira AV suite:

klim6.sys Thu Jul 11 08:54:08 2013: Kaspersky Lab Intermediate Network Driver

avipbb.sys Wed Oct 19 11:08:41 2016: Avira AntiVir

Running two AV suites can cause conflicts and I would remove Avira first before trying to update the Macdrive file system driver.

If the bsod continues with the same bugcheck then try and update or if no update, re-install the driver.

Please post any new dump files.

Well this is much more optimistic than I had anticipated, thanks!

The problem actually started around the time I installed MacDrive, so that makes sense.

Is there any reason I should uninstall Avira over Kaspersky? I use the former more these days and had simple forgotten I had both, would prefer to keep Avira.

Ugghhh!!! Kaspersky and Avira on the same machine; either one of those is the K.O.D (Kiss-Of-Death) and are real computer killers on the PC side, and from what I've seen of other Mac and Windows VM users, the same thing. We usually advise people to get rid of either of those. They rate high on the independent testing, but where I live in Southern California--the worst of the worst infected PCs or Macs with bad spyware such as Ransomware quite often have either Kaspersky or Avira. Based on real-world data in my repair business, I remove those as soon as I see them. I had a couple of customers fight me on this; I immediately brought their computers back to them, and told them to find another Computer Guy!! :eek: That's how bad my experiences have been with both of these products.:down: Believe what you want; but real-world experience is the best.

Good luck,
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

I uninstalled Kaspersky as it was the 2013 version and I couldn't afford to renew it, I'd simply forgotten it was there, and Avira has some basic free protection. I've had two more since then, one literally just 15 minutes ago. Not sure if I missed something.

I haven't done anything to MacDrive yet and I'm not sure how to upgrade the drivers specifically as the version I downloaded is simply the the most recent from the same link you provided above. Would uninstalling it work?

I've had two more since then, one literally just 15 minutes ago. Not sure if I missed something.
2 more what? Blue screens?

If so please post as advised above.

If your still getting blue screens then refer back to my original post.

I haven't done anything to MacDrive yet and I'm not sure how to upgrade the drivers specifically as the version I downloaded is simply the the most recent from the same link you provided above. Would uninstalling it work?
It may have become corrupted. Please re-install again but when you re-install the driver, first right click on it and run as admin.

Regarding Avira: Personally I'd remove this awful piece of software too. Try running the machine using the in built Defender and Malwarebytes. Many of us here use this set up and it works fine plus it's ultra stable too.

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I used the diagnostic tool again and have uploaded to files it gave me, but it appears there's no dump files for the most recent six BSOD (all of the ones that have occurred this year, coincidentally).

I tried the command prompts, the first said there were corrupted files but the second gave me an error 87 and said the restorehealth option was not recognized in that context.

I'm going to remove Avira and go with your suggestion. I will also reinstall MacDrive and see what happens.

Attachments

• W7F_16-01-2017.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 350
the second gave me an error 87 and said the restorehealth option was not recognized in that context.
Apologies it doesn't work for Windows 7 and i added it by mistake.

it appears there's no dump files for the most recent six BSOD (all of the ones that have occurred this year, coincidentally).
Just make sure your settings are the same as below:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Other reasons for no dump file can be no pagefile. Although I checked your DXDIAG and you have a pagefile of 4GB .

HDD issues can be another cause. If possible please run a chkdsk making sure you search for and repair broken sectors.
How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10
I'm going to remove Avira and go with your suggestion. I will also reinstall MacDrive and see what happens.
Sounds good, try right clicking the mac driver driver when your gonna re-install it and run as admin.

I've just changed those setting, they were set to "Kernel memory dump". I will try chkdsk after I've done the other installs, it's late here so it won't be until tomorrow now.

By "driver" do you mean the regular .exe installer? Sorry if that's a silly question!

Back