Windows 7 BSOD on boot-up after update

reon

ok, so I updated yesterday (1 critical update i had been delaying). It asks me to reboot and I comply. I get back into Windows and login everything looks okay. Today I turn my laptop back on, as it loads (i see the little windows logo glowing) I get a BSOD with no specific file or anything, but it says 'dumping blablabla' then reboots and if I leave it alone I get am prompted to choose Start-up recovery or Normal. I choose start-up recovery and let it try to recover, it fails and then I decide to roll back prior to updating. After a reboot I get the exact same error. I go back into start up recovery and run the memory test. I let it go through it (takes a while) and finds no problems, then boots straight into windows 7 perfectly fine! I don't have any anti-virus stuff installed nor anything that affects windows. I have office 2007 and firefox installed. Also I have been rolled back to the time before I installed the update (and let me tell u I will NEVER install it again). I believe this has something to do with my aetheros wifi adapter (built in with a switch). Whenever I turn it off via the switch windows stutters for a sec and if I re-enable it windows completely shuts off the computer and reboots. No errors (boots normally) and nothing unusual in the event manager thing. Maybe it's just me or maybe Windows 7 isn't ready for laptop use :\

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Five choices
1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIW (System Info) 2008.4.2.0
4. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Was this an upgrade or a "clean" install?

Is this the official RC from MS?

Did you check the Windows Logs > System section in Event Viewer?

okay, i will fill in the specs and do what I can but my laptop is at work atm will have to get you the info on that other stuff tomorrow or possibly Monday if no one can come to open the door for me tomorrow. Yea I took it to work today and left it since I didn't want to take it with me (call me lazy if u want XD). Thx, for the quick response btw. I can say it was a clean install and the official RC from MS website.

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Five choices
1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIW (System Info) 2008.4.2.0
4. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Was this an upgrade or a "clean" install?

Is this the official RC from MS?

Did you check the Windows Logs > System section in Event Viewer?

-Clean install on a NTFS formatted drive.
-Official RC1 build 7100 from MS web site.
-no yellow flags in device manager

-I did check the Logs and found a few warning about outlook timing out and an error about firefox, but nothing hardware related. I could try hitting the switch on my WLAN off then on and see if it says anything after it reboots, only if u need me to of course. Ok I just rebooted after getting the laptop from work and it happened again. THis time I did not restore my system I simply ran the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" tool from the recovery options. After it finished (no errors) I got into windows fine. here is the stuff from system log:
(oldest to newest)
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          5/24/2009 11:03:02 AM
Event ID:      86
Task Category: (83)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      (32)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Atma
Description:
The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event.             
Shutdown Time = ‎2009‎-‎05‎-‎24T16:03:02.569606800Z             
ACPI Thermal Zone = ACPI\ThermalZone\THZN             
_CRT = 378K
Code:
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          5/24/2009 11:10:29 AM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Code:
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date:          5/24/2009 11:10:38 AM
Event ID:      219
Task Category: (212)
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      
User:          N/A
Description:
The driver \Driver\usbccgp failed to load for the device USB\VID_04F2&PID_B070\SN0001.

My temps are usually around 65 C idle and almost 80 C under load. I googled the CPU and these are typical temps for this cpu. Also this problem only happens when I switch my wifi adapter OFF then ON again (causes the reboot).

Last edited:
This is a driver issue:
ACPI Thermal Zone = ACPI\ThermalZone\THZN......power related

Also The driver \Driver\usbccgp failed to load for the device USB\VID_04F2&PID_B070\SN0001.....USB related.

Go to Start > Control Panel, kick device Manager, expand My Computer and see if it states ACPI x86 Based PC

Try removing all USB devices except for your keyboard and mouse if they are connected to the computer

The second entry is displayed when Windows gets the Blue-screen error on startup.

Did you check Device manager for yellow flags?

The only thing similar to that is "ACPI x64-based PC" and its under "Computer". I expanded everything to double check and no yellow flags to be found. No USB devices have been connected so far. I did find a way to circumvent the problem, instead of shutting down I simply hibernate my laptop, although windows updates makes me restart I can just use the "Memory Diagnostic Tool" to get back in (though it takes a while). edit: ok I'm going to try each update 1 by 1 and testing which one is causing the problem.

Last edited:
Yea I googled about that and i don't think its because it is overheating. It only happens after an update occurs. I am using 2 temp monitors and have not went over 60 C (room temperature is 20 C). After reading a bit on AMD laptops, it is generally safe below 80 C and gets dangerous at around 90 C. Though AMD themselves do stress tests under 120 C. I am checking each update one by one right now and will report which one causes the problem. I have a feeling it's one of the driver updates.

I choose start-up recovery and let it try to recover, it fails and then I decide to roll back prior to updating.

Whenever you receive this message, just reboot normally, do not choose repair.

tried selecting start windows normally and i get BSOD still. I've been testing the updates and it seems any of the updates that are the "window 7 beta" updates. I read up on the updates and all they do it change the version number or certain system files (supposedly), but I also read people experiencing BSOD if they have certain software installed (ESET NOD for example). now if these updates simply change a version number then it should not have any effect on other software. I think it's safe to believe these updates do more then just change a version number... Anyways I'll just not update and not turn off my wifi adapter until I have enough time to mess with it. Right now I need it to type stuff up so I think i'll leave it alone for a while. Will report back if I find anything out. Thanks for the suggestions!

I should have asked this question the very first time you posted.

Did you do a "Clean" install or do the upgrade route?

Go to Control panel > Windows Update > View Update History and tell me whats updated.......just the ones that beginning with (KB

Also in Windows Update there is a link at the lower left side named Installed Updates. Check here for KB updates also.

Clean install. sigh... well after rolling back to prior to updates, windows 7 took it upon itself to update again. It wants me to reboot and I know whats going to happen. :\ Oh and I figured out why it broke, it seems windows had updated and then I turned my WLAN adapter OFF then ON which cause my computer to reboot and screwed up the update. Now it always has an update pending (reboot needed). So it wasn't the recent updates but an update that got messed up in the installation process. I don't know what update it's stuck on because I'm doing a 20th system restore, this time I'm restoring it as far back as I can, the only thing I would loose is Microsoft Office and I can just reinstall that. After that's done Ill give you the list of updates from History.

Yes,

You'd really save time and frustration if you completely re-installed.

Just wondering.....Did you get any updates for Office. there have been issues regarding Office updates.

Also, to prevent Windows from automatically installing updates, go to Control Panel > Windows Update, click on the Change Settings button and choose Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

Good Luck:)

Yea I just did that, installing a fresh install as we speak. Thanks for all your help! oh and I didn't install the office update.

Back
Top Bottom