Windows 10 Windows 10 BSOD on Boot

Roundup11

Yesterday I opened a ticket with Microsoft help on this problem and after elevation to level 2 at Manila PI I was told that my mother board does not support Windows 10. I am not sure about that since I had been using Windows 10 for more than 6 months without problems or I should say minor problems. I built this computer as part of my recovery from cancer in 2007. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Motherboard with an Intel core 2 quad processor on board. I have a 3TB and a 500GB HD on board. Since original build I replaced a couple of fans and now have an Antec 550W power supply in an Antec Sonata III 500 case. I can open my windows 7 ultimate which was an original install on this computer. Windows 10 upgrade was from a windows 8 install that had been upgraded to 8.1 before windows 10. I am completely open to away ahead. Looks like automatic updates is trying to update windows 7 ultimate to Windows 10. I have not even opened email in win 7 until I get through this. What I have for assistance in getting help and reading help are my smartphone (Samsung Edge 7+) and Samsung SMP905V tablet. My wife also has a windows 10 upgraded Dell laptop. I am open to suggestions as I do not want to loose that 6 plus months of Windows 10 work. Thanks in advance. I had kept the original Windows 7 Ultimate loaded on this computer. Windows 10 upgrade had gone from a Windows 8.0 pro upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 10. Originally When Wind 10 free upgrade was first offered I was unable to load until the first major update was released in th early fall. I never ran into a problem until Jun 2016 when I noticed I was having a problem with two updates KB3156421 and KB3140741. I was following forum guidance to try and resolve problem and had to leave town for a funeral. Upon my return to computer I discovered there had been a Power loss while I was gone and then I was onset with BSOD two errors repeated numerous times Critical Process Died and Error code 0xc0000021a. That brought me to the Microsoft ticket at which I was told mother board does not support Windows 10. Never was a problem identified with the motherboard and since I am now using the Windows 7 ultimate on this computer (only operating system that is working). I see guidance on capturing dumps, but can I do that if I can't get into Windows 10. I have downloaded an IOS copy of Windows on a thumb drive and have been unable to get into Windows 10. I am not sure if I have been able to switch the boot device as I have tried every possible choice when trying to open the OS by flashing F12 key. I did run the memory test which I believe was two passes and no memory problems were identified. I am open to help in getting this desktop back operating with Windows 10. Thanks in advance

I discovered there had been a Power loss while I was gone and then I was onset with BSOD two errors repeated numerous times Critical Process Died and Error code 0xc0000021a.

Hi,
it sounds like the power loss has possibly corrupted system files and your probable best course of action is to boot from the Windows 10 install disk or USB and enter the recovery console to run a repair.

and since I am now using the Windows 7 ultimate on this computer
What happened to Windows 10? If it's been removed then the dump files will have gone also.

Post back with information on what has happened to win 10 and we'll go from there.

However.....

I was told that my mother board does not support Windows 10
The fact that you managed to use it for 6 months with only minor problems doesn't exactly mean your motherboard is compatible with Windows 10.
Driver support ended with Windows 7 and it's simply too old for Windows 10.

My advice would be to use the computer but only with Window 7 SP1. If you'd like to use Windows 10 then upgrade the system.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your W10 no-access issue.:( Depending on what you answer back to kemical, he will have some suggestions for you I'm sure.

Generally speaking though, if those suggestions don't product a positive result I would consider doing a couple of things to get your 6 mos. of stuff back. Any programs you installed on W10 are gone; you can't get those back.:waah: However, all or most of your personal data such as library folders, E-mails, etc. can be gotten back from data recovery.:teeth: I suggest you use an Image Backup program such as Macrium Reflect and backup your existing W7 partitions and save them to an external drive. Next, find or buy yourself another hard drive, preferably new of similar or higher capacity than the drive you have in your computer now. Remove the original drive from your case, and install the new drive into the case. Using the Rescue Media (DVD/CD or USB stick) you make prior to creating your Macrium backup image to external media, boot your computer up and perform a Restore Image of only the W7 partitions onto the new drive. This will give you an operating "clone" of what you have now less the W10 stuff.

Once you've done this, I suggest you take that original hard drive into your local Computer shop and pay them to do a data recovery for you, specifically all the data from your W10 system partition and burn onto DVD media or an external hard drive. From there, you can then decide whether to re-attempt your W10 upgrade from W7 on your new replacement drive or simply upgrade your system Mobo as kemical suggested or even build an entire new W10 system from scratch.:iee: In either case, if you do get onto W10 on your old hardware or your new build, you'd now have all your W10 personal data to copy over to that new drive on the W10 build. You'd get everything back data-wise, but you'd still have to reinstall all your old W10 programs manually from original disc media, usb media, or Internet download.:headache:

I'd also mention that if the Techs you pay to recover your W10 data cannot do so, that power loss event may have permanently damaged your original hard drive and that drive would need to be sent out for very very expensive data recovery. I just did one for my son's external hard drive that cost me about $550. I was able to get about a 97% data recovery percentage, which is excellent, but there are only 2 places in the country (US) where they do that kind of a job on a dead or failed drive. Post back and I can provide that for you if you like. Hopefully, you get a resolution before you get down this far in my post to the dreaded last resort pro data recovery.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back