Windows 7 BSOD on Movies, Streaming, Now Browsing

solrage

Since I bought this computer in '10 I've had a problem getting blue screens when playing blu-rays and DVDs through various players. Recently I bought WinDVD 11 thinking it might fix the problem, but it persisted, especially when I put it in full-screen mode. So I updated the driver for my NVIDEA GeForce GT 220, and since I did that earlier today the problem has expanded to streaming video, and one BSOD even while browsing and typing a reply on a message board. I would think the problem has to be with the card/driver since updating it made the problem worse, but I have no clue how to solve it.

I think I included everything necessary in the zip file.

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 421
The first thing I would recommend at least to start with is to remove Symantec/Norton for the time being. Uninstall it and then run the vendor specific proprietary removal tool found here https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...10133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home
Determine the specs on your present power supply your symptoms may be indicative of a faulty, failing or inadequate PSU
NVIDIA recommends that you have a minimum of a 300 Watt power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps. Most power supplies have a sticker on the side of them that will show the ratings on it if you are unsure of what you have.
I would consider that (18 amps on + 12 volts) a bare minimum for that graphics card.
Additionally you have a few very old drivers which require your attention
regi.sys 4/16/2007 InterVideo
purendis.sys 6/5/2009 Pure Networks and or Network Magic
pnarp.sys 6/6/2009 Same as above
LHidFilt.Sys 6/17/2009 Logitech - Support & Software Downloads
LMouFilt.Sys 6/17/2009 same as logitech above
LEqdUsb.Sys 6/17/2009 same as logitech above
LHidEqd.Sys 6/17/2009 same as logitech above
All of these pre-date Windows 7 RTM and should be updated or uninstalled or file extensions renamed as a last resort from .sys to .OLD
See if there is an updated driver for HCW85BDA.sys 7/14/2009 from Hauppauge Computer Works Product Selector
and while you are at it update
Rt64win7.sys 8/20/2009 from here Realtek
and
RTKVHD64.sys 9/7/2010 from here Realtek
AND.... see if there is a BIOS update newer than Version 5.11 01/28/2010 for your MSI IONA motherboard, presumably from HP?? Possibly here Link Removed - Invalid URL

The first thing I would recommend at least to start with is to remove Symantec/Norton for the time being. Uninstall it and then run the vendor specific proprietary removal tool found here https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...10133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home Replace it with Link Removed due to 404 Error
Determine the specs on your present power supply your symptoms may be indicative of a faulty, failing or inadequate PSU
NVIDIA recommends that you have a minimum of a 300 Watt power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps. Most power supplies have a sticker on the side of them that will show the ratings on it if you are unsure of what you have.
I would consider that (18 amps on + 12 volts) a bare minimum for that graphics card.
Additionally you have a few very old drivers which require your attention
regi.sys 4/16/2007 InterVideo
purendis.sys 6/5/2009 Pure Networks and or Network Magic
pnarp.sys 6/6/2009 Same as above
LHidFilt.Sys 6/17/2009 Logitech - Support & Software Downloads
LMouFilt.Sys 6/17/2009 same as logitech above
LEqdUsb.Sys 6/17/2009 same as logitech above
LHidEqd.Sys 6/17/2009 same as logitech above
All of these pre-date Windows 7 RTM and should be updated or uninstalled or file extensions renamed as a last resort from .sys to .OLD
See if there is an updated driver for HCW85BDA.sys 7/14/2009 from Hauppauge Computer Works Product Selector
and while you are at it update
Rt64win7.sys 8/20/2009 from here Realtek
and
RTKVHD64.sys 9/7/2010 from here Realtek
AND.... see if there is a BIOS update newer than Version 5.11 01/28/2010 for your MSI IONA motherboard, presumably from HP?? Possibly here Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks so much for the incredibly detailed post, Trouble! I will look into updating those drivers. As for a Power Supply... I'm curious about that since I've always just plugged my PC right into the wall... I guess that's bad? Over the last few days I think I determined that the BSOD was caused by the video card overheating. I installed speed fan and monitored it while playing blu-ray and it started heating up pretty fast, especially if I tried to fast-forward at all. I guess in addition to the PSU and drivers I need to look into getting more/better fans and maybe a better case. Thanks again.

Back