Windows 7 BSOD on startup, sometimes seemingly at random. Brand new machine.

Hello Lou and welcome to the forum.
You may want to enable XMP mode for your memory using your system's BIOS utility and see if that helps the issue at all.
Failing that, Give memtest a try:
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
IF you start getting errors stop the test, remove one stick of RAM and start again.

Sorry I've been so long. I don't get a chance to work on the machine that often, and won't get another one for a week or so. So this is just a short update, an "I'm still here." I switched over to XMP mode, which made the crashes more consistent. (3/3 on the times I tried to boot it, and it crashed earlier in the boot cycle than it normally does.)

I have not gotten the time to run MemTest yet. I will do that.

Is it possible a BIOS update would fix this? Because I don't think the machine's BIOS is up to date. Or are you sure it's a RAM issue?

Is it possible a BIOS update would fix this?
It has been a week and without going back and looking though your dump file(s), I feel relatively safe in saying that yes a BIOS update might be helpful.
Or are you sure it's a RAM issue?
And I'm pretty comfortable admitting that the only thing I'm sure of, is that I'm not sure of anything when it comes to BSODs.
I would suggest that after testing your memory as suggested above, if it tests good then I would move next to your hard disk
Use the native Check Disk utility
chkdsk C: /R
and follow that up by using the vendor specific hard disk diagnostic utility provided by your hard drive manufacturer a list of some of which can be found here Link Removed - Invalid URL
If the machine is crashing consistently before even loading the OS, then that would suggest a likely hardware issue, so double check all your connections (power and interface cables), double check all addin modules (cards, memory, even CPU) for proper seating and of course make sure that whatever power supply you have chosen, that it is up to the task of supporting the power demands of all your components.

I'm back in town, and back at work on this computer.

My BIOS was up to date.

I'm running MemTest as soon as I post this.

Back
Top Bottom