Windows 10 BSOD on startup

dusty1000

PC attempted startup many times, reporting different errors, but "driver overran stack buffer" repeated several times. No previous history of problems since installing 10 over 1 year ago. Eventually started after multiple attempts over several hours, but I had not changed any settings. All windows updates had been installed many days prior to this issue.

PC has now worked without problems for several hours, but I am reluctant to turn it off!

Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• W7F_14-03-2018.zip
    923.7 KB · Views: 288
PC attempted startup many times, reporting different errors, but "driver overran stack buffer" repeated several times. No previous history of problems since installing 10 over 1 year ago. Eventually started after multiple attempts over several hours, but I had not changed any settings. All windows updates had been installed many days prior to this issue.

PC has now worked without problems for several hours, but I am reluctant to turn it off!

Any advice much appreciated.
Hi,
unfortunately none of the dump files would open.

This could be down to a number of reasons ranging from failing HDD to incorrect dump settings.

Please check your settings are like so:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Check your drive is ok by running a chkdsk:
How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10

Thank you for replying kemical. I checked the C drive using properties>tools>error checking. No problems reported. It failed to run chkdsk from start>run.
I followed you instructions re the dump files. But I cannot find the resultant file in minidump or anywhere else!
Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

Sorry Dusty I forgot to ask ; Are you running with a pagefile or do you have disabled? It kinda looks like you have it disabled and pagefile is needed for dump file creation.
I imagine if you did turn it off you'll know how to turn it on again but if not please post back.

Hi
I will run the drive checker later today. Can you please advise how to enable pagefile, so I can be prepared......
Thanks

Can you please advise how to enable pagefile, so I can be prepared......
If you have never knowingly disabled it then chances are it's fine.

Just in case it isn't :

Click the tab marked 'Advanced' along the top of the system properties box.
Under 'Performance' click settings.
Once again click 'Advanced' along the top.
Under 'Virtual Memory' ( near the bottom) you'll see the total paging file size for all drives.
If it's disabled then click the tab marked 'change'.
Here you have a choice although probably the easiest is to check the box at the top for automatically managing paging file size.
Your other choice would be to set the custom size to the recommended amount (both boxes).

Can you post your system specification please.

Also type dxdiag into the run box and click ok. Please save and post the results.

Ok, so tell me if I'm correct please:
The current situation is that your machine is now running fine after blue screening yesterday?

Unfortunately for whatever reason you cannot find the dump files for yesterday?

Ok, so tell me if I'm correct please:
The current situation is that your machine is now running fine after blue screening yesterday?
Correct, but I have not switched it off / re-started yet!

Unfortunately for whatever reason you cannot find the dump files for yesterday? There are dump files listed but contain no data.

The dxdiag file is attached.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    85.9 KB · Views: 310
Hi,
can you please double check your settings:

Open the run application.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

Click ok and your good to go.

Did you realise your motherboard has no driver support past Windows 7?

I tried to find you a storage driver but the last driver is for win 7 only:
GA-EP45T-DS3R (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Can you remember what caused the bsod to start?

Did you add anything new or did the system update?

Just check the Device manager and see if any yellow question marks are evident. Look at the IDE controllers and make sure AHCI is enabled.

BTW, the original message #1 zip dump file extracted fine on my laptop.
This is a screenshot of your first zip file, notice all the dump files have zero kb:
bsod.jpg

Thanks again for all your advice.

I have repeated sysdm.cpl and the dump folder is still showing nothing since March 14. (image attached). That is why I asked earlier where it was stored, in case I was looking in the wrong folder

I know the motherboard has no driver support past Windows 7, but until this week, no problems!

Nothing new added and no recent system updates.

bsod started during startup. I was not watching at the time, but no ops. performed that day before bsod. Shutdown the previous day was normal.

Device manager is normal.

I am not familiar with IDE controllers and cannot see if AHCI is enabled. See screen grab.
Device manager.JPG

Attachments

• Minidump.JPG
    Minidump.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 316
The best way to check is boot into the bios, look under peripherals and make sure that AHCI is enabled. Your motherboard and drives can all run in AHCI no question, we just need to make sure if it's enabled or not.

Failing the above can you try running chkdsk again. Chkdsk won't work from the run box but it is simple to run. This guide will explain how:
How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10

Hi
Been away but back on the case now.
AHCI was not enabled. Changed it in BIOS now pc will not start. Cannot interupt bootup to change back in BIOS. PC attempted to restart several times but with stopcode inaccessible boot device.

Back