Windows 7 BSOD only on 7.

degaeil

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible.

I have a dual boot system (Windows 7 and Xp Pro Sp3) on separate HDDs.

About a week after installing Nvidia driver 197.13, I booted in to 7, and my resolution was 640 x 480 with no other resolutions available. I have an EVGA GTX 275.

I uninstalled, and reinstalled the video drivers, rebooted, and got a BSOD.

Could boot in to Safe Mode, and my GTX 275 is recognized in Device Manager, as well as driver version.

Since then I have:

Reverted to an image I made about a week before the problem. (Image had same video driver version 197.13).

Reinstalled Windows 7 32 bit. BSOD before I even get to the Desktop.

Installed Windows 7 64 bit. Same result as above.

Scanned all hard drives with:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Avira AV
SuperAntiSpyware
Avira Linux Rescue CD
No Malware found on any.

Tried Archived Nvidia driver v196.21, BSOD.

Installed my old video card (7900GTO)
No BSOD. I can get in to Windows 7, but when I first log on, the screen is just a bunch of diagonal lines.
This lasts for about 15 seconds and then clears up.
If I run any 3D graphics, again, nothing but diagonal lines. I have to Alt-F4 out of the program running the graphics to get my Desktop back. If I open the Nvidia Control Panel, my screen blacks out momentarily.

Tried a different power supply (with GTX 275). Same problems

Tested HDDs with HDTune and ran MemTest. No problems reported on either.

Installed Vista (Home Premium) on Windows 7 disk (with my GTX 275), and everything is fine.
Same with XP, all is fine with the GTX 275.
Ran ATI-Tool in XP, and Nvidia's Cascade in Vista, and the GTX 275 is working just fine.

Analyzed the memory dump from Windows 7 and: "Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys".

I Googled that, and found similar cases, but no solutions.

I thought this might be a hardware problem, but the card works fine in Vista and XP.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the BSOD's in Windows 7?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm out of ideas.

Specs:
MoBo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Bios vF10 (newest version)
CPU: Q9550 (no OC)
Cooler: Arctic 7 Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 275 896 MBs (no OC) (Now using a 7900 GTO)
RAM: GSkill DDR 2 1066 (PC2 8500) 2x2GBs (no OC)
HDDs: XP Disk-WD Velociraptor 150GBs, Windows 7 Disk-WD Black 640 GBs, Data Disk-WD Black 750 GBs
Optical Drives: LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM, SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
PSU: Corsair 650W

275 GTX Idle Temps w/SpeedFan (logged into XP):
GPU: 44C
Core 0: 30C
Core1: 34C
Core2: 32C
Core3: 34C
HD0: 38C
HD1: 30C
HD2: 37C
Core: 44C
Ambient: 38C

275 GTX Idle Temps w/RealTemp (logged into XP):
GPU: 44C
Core0: 30C
Core1: 34C
Core2: 32C
Core3: 34C

Cybercore, thanks for the response. unfortunately I don't have a minidump file, or a Minidump folder in Windows 7, as it will not complete installation with my GTX 275 card. I will have to install my old 7900 GTO to finish the installation. Once I do that, I will reinstall my GTX 275, get a BSOD, generate the minidump, and attach it to my post. Be back in a while.

Hi,
I know you said that you've tried memtest but did you test the sticks individually or all together? If you tested them all together then errors can be missed.. Try running the machine on one stick at a time. If you find it's blue screening on one stick and not the other then you know which is the bad stick.

Analyzed the memory dump from Windows 7 and: \\\"Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys\\\".

... Could boot in to Safe Mode, and my GTX 275 is recognized in Device Manager, as well as driver version.

Since then I have:

Reverted to an image I made about a week before the problem. (Image had same video driver version 197.13).

Reinstalled Windows 7 32 bit. BSOD before I even get to the Desktop.

Installed Windows 7 64 bit. Same result as above.

I would also check if your RAM DDR timings are set right.

If you can boot in to safe mode, uninstall your current Forceware. Reboot. Use Driver Sweeper. Reboot. Install Forceware now. Reboot.

Checked memory timings, and they are correct: 5-5-5-15.

The BSOD happens before I can install Forceware.

After Windows 7 recognizes the new device, it tells me to reboot, it's on this reboot that I get the BSOD.
This is why it is happening during the installation of Windows 7. I never get the chance to install the Nvidia drivers.

I will try the sticks one at a time. In the meantime, here's the minidump.

Thanks again guys. Be back after Memtest.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    48.9 KB · Views: 209
The BSOD happens before I can install Forceware.

After Windows 7 recognizes the new device, it tells me to reboot, it's on this reboot that I get the BSOD.
This is why it is happening during the installation of Windows 7. I never get the chance to install the Nvidia drivers.

Can you boot to safe mode and disable your card in the Device manager, so you can reboot and install Forceware ?

Booted in to safe mode. Disabled video card.
Rebooted normally, and logged in to Windows 7.
Installed Forceware driver.
Rebooted, and BSOD.

It sounds like bad card or bad pci-ex slot, but you report it works fine in XP/Vista. You might want to try Vista driver on 7 in Vista compatibility mode.

Just what I find on this problem:

- manually copy nvlddmkm.sys to the windows drivers folder windows/system32/drivers

- Link Removed - Not Found

- win 7 nvlddmkm.sys bsod -

Also try what Kemical has suggested:
Hi,
I know you said that you've tried memtest but did you test the sticks individually or all together? If you tested them all together then errors can be missed.. Try running the machine on one stick at a time. If you find it's blue screening on one stick and not the other then you know which is the bad stick.

If nothing helps, just stay tuned, hopefully someone else who has had this issue will help. :(

On a whim, I actually tried copying nvlddmkm.sys to Windows 7 drivers directory while logged in to XP. I had saved it from the Vista install. Still resulted in a BSOD.
I've seen most of those results from Google, but I'll look through your results to see if there's anything I missed.
I'll try those reg entries and Memtest, and will post back later.
Thanks for the help.

Re: the reg entries: The post is for error #116 and that doesn't seem to be related to my problem. I tried it anyway, and no help.

I deleted nvlddmkm.sys from the Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_lh.inf_x86_neutral_bbe628dbdd6fce25 and reinstalled the Nvidia driver. No help.

I had posted this problem at sevenforums.com, and got this from the minidump I attached:

Capt1ure..JPG

The error code from the BSOD is: STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Googling this, it seems that the most common cause is hardware failure, usually RAM or the mobo.

I ran memtest on each stick of RAM, and there were no errors.
I would say it was my mobo or video card, but as I posted earlier, everything seems fine in Vista and XP.

Is there some feature in the video card that is accessed by Windows 7, and not Vista?

Tried rolling back to the previous bios (v.F9), but no help there.
I honestly don't know what to try next.
I would resign myself to replacing components, but, at this point, I am not completely certain what to replace.
The video card seems the obvious choice, but is there a problem in my mobo as well? Can't say.

If anyone has any ideas, please post them.
I'll be outside pounding my head on the pavement.

Back