Windows 10 BSOD Steam Games Problems

I've had recent problems that when I am playing steam games my computer it often restarts with BSOD errors. It is mostly Memory Management errors but now it varies a lot. I've tried as many of the fixes as possible but it doesn't seem to work. I also found that the Network Controller couldn't be updated as windows couldn't find any drivers to update it with so I disabled it instead. It worked for a few hours but then it went again.

If anybody could recommend some drivers or tips on how to stop the problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• W7F_09-07-2018.zip
    745.7 KB · Views: 419
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {ffffd187c5801f1c, 2, fffff80395fbfe38, c}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,
the dump files which are included can be indicative of failing RAM although drivers can also cause this issue.

Did you try the network driver found on your motherboards website?
M5A78L-M/USB3 Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS United Kingdom

Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

The above Bugcheck 50 can also be caused by AV suites. If your using a third party anti virus then try removing as a test.

I would also try re-installing your gpu driver making sure you remove the original driver using the DDU or display driver uninstaller. This will clean out any corruption ready for the new driver:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.9.0 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum

Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Please post any new dump files.

Last edited:
I ran sfc /scannow and it said there were no violations. However I was able to install some more drivers through device managers. I don't know a lot about computers and this sort of thing and I don't really want to spend over ÂŁ50 on things that I don't know if they will fix my problem. I was able to use some of your advice and will run some more tests now.

Hi Gypsy,

hopefully the solution should cost you nothing and is, with luck, driver related. It's also a good idea to go through your applications and make sure your running the latest version.
Also go through your Applications and if you no longer use it then remove it.

Any problems please post back.

Just another idea regarding STEAM:
Have you tried validating the file cache for each game?

It didn't work sadly but I wonder if you could recommend any drivers for the following:
High definition audio bus (there's two of them but I don't know why)
AMD SMBus
VIA HD Audio (Win 10)
AMD SATA Controller (IDE mode)
AMD PCI IDE Controller
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adaptor.

Thanks

It didn't work sadly but I wonder if you could recommend any drivers for the following
You mean it blue screened again?

Did you:

Test the RAM?

Use the DDU as suggested re' GPU driver?

Try the LAN driver found on your motherboard support page as suggested above?
M5A78L-M/USB3 Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS United Kingdom
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Realtek

AMD SATA Controller (IDE mode)
AMD PCI IDE Controller
AMD SMBus

The above can be found in the AMD chipset drivers for your set up. Your chipset is a AMD 760G (780L)/SB710 and the drivers for this are here:
Legacy

See if they help above.

Last edited:
I tested the RAM which was fine and then used DDU which I think helped a lot as well as clearing the game cache files. I was able to run a game for 3:30 straight until there was a unexpected Kernal mode trap and immediately as soon as it restarted a bad configuration bsod turned up.

Hi,
can you post the actual dump files please as viewing these may help further.

Hmm it seems all you posted was the actual application lol, no dumps...

Sorry, you can tell I'm not great with computers. I think this should be the proper one

Attachments

• W7F_09-07-2018 (2).zip
    745.7 KB · Views: 432
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {ffffd187c5801f1c, 2, fffff80395fbfe38, c}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,

as you can see from the above dump file the faulting driver could not be read.

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I can see STEAM was running at the time of blue screen and it may help if you removed steam and installed a fresh copy. (you did mention that cleaning up game cache helped)

How long did you test the RAM for?

I've known memtest86 to either miss errors or it simply wasn't ran long enough and another way to check that it isn't the ram that's at issue is to run the system using only one stick of RAM.
If you have two or four sticks then remove them all apart from one stick. Now try running a game or something that normally triggers a bsod event.
If the machine bsod's then stop testing and change to another stick making sure you keep note of which sticks have been tried and which haven't.
If you find a stick or sticks which don't bsod when tested then you'll know that they are ok and the others are bad.

Is your RAM all from the same manufacturer?

If that fails to work please run the driver verifier.

This easy to follow guide will show you how to run the verifier:
Using Driver Verifier to fix Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors - Troubleshooter

On occasion the verifier can cause a boot loop. To stop this you'll need to boot into windows using a recovery drive/disc, enter safe mode and turn off the verifier.
How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10

I used the file scans followed by: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and the restore operation "completed successfully". I uninstalled and reinstalled steam without any problems. I still can't get my head around using memtest86 or selecting which sticks of RAM to use. However, before I read your post I noticed that if I use DDU daily as well as clearing the game cache files it doesn't blue screen for a few hours so that should be a decent temporary solution.

Hmm.. Well when your ready to run Memtest86 and/or test further please post back.

I had a look at the guide and I couldn't find it anywhere but then I realised on quora that it doesn't work with AMD graphics cards which I think I have.

Forget what I said about DDU and game cache files. It worked a couple of times but now it's back to normal blue screen every 30 minutes or so. I manged to complete the memtest but I have no idea what to make of the results so I have attached a picture with the results if they help. Picture1 BSOD.png

Back