Windows 7 BSOD STOP in tcpip.sys 0x000000D1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with Intel Proset/Wireless drivers

Camicia

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520
I upgraded from Vista Home to Windows 7 Ultimate. Since that I had already 3 or 4 BSOD on tcpip.sys.

Before the upgrade Win7 detected 3 incompatibilities:
Skype 3.8
Intel ProSet/Wireless
Network Monitor 3

I would have solved the problems but when I click OK the installation continued.
After 7 hours to finish the upgrade (including downloading 1GB+), I was done :-/
IE8 wasl sometimes crashing randomly. I partially solved the problem moving to Firefox but when I forget I still have the problem now and then.

Anyway, I need to fix the Blue Screen of Death problems.
After the Win7 upgrade, I upgrade the Video Drivers NVidea 8400GS, Skype, Network Monitor 3 and the Intel PROSet/Wireless drivers.
I think the problem is in the Intel drivers becasue the BSOD is on tcpip.sys.
I downloaded the drivers here: Wireless Networking — Drivers and software throught the automatic detection.
It now find:
Product Detected Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Current Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Installed 13.1.1.0

These are two logs that Win7 showed me after reboot after 2 different BSOD incidents:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 00000006
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 8D6938CB
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\032110-35973-01.dmp
C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-78827-0.sysdata.xml
Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 00000010
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 8D68023A
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\032310-21356-01.dmp
C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-45037-0.sysdata.xml
Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
----------------------
I have already checked the RAM integrity and my computer passed the test.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Best,
Camicia

Why should not any installation take that long?
Have you tried to update a Vista system with a 60+ Installed applications to Windows 7?
I think it sucks and it was frustrating but I don't think there is not a relationship with the length of the upgrade to Win7 and my current problem.

Formatting was not and is not a viable option otherwise I would not have upgrade vista to Win7 but I would have done a clean installation since the beginning.

Why should not any installation take that long?
Have you tried to update a Vista system with a 60+ Installed applications to Windows 7?
I think it sucks and it was frustrating but I don't think there is not a relationship with the length of the upgrade to Win7 and my current problem.

Formatting was not and is not a viable option otherwise I would not have upgrade vista to Win7 but I would have done a clean installation since the beginning.

please zip , upload and attach your minidump files here for analysis please , But I totally agree with GTK66 that any install that takes 7 hours is doomed to fail for numerous reasons, an upgrade install also rarely works :frown:

A fresh install should take 20 mins :razz:

BCCode: d1 errors are caused by faulty drivers or buggy software. Minidumps can tell more.

I would suggest the same route:

I would back up all of your important data. Format your hard drive and perform a clean install of Windows 7. You can use the following as a guide. No install should have taken as long as yours did.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Clean install is always recommended. If upgrading is the only route for you, then have your Vista clean and healthy before the upgrade, clean install Vista > activate it > do not install drivers or software > upgrade to 7.

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

I would suggest the same route:

Clean install is always recommended. If upgrading is the only route for you, then have your Vista clean and healthy before the upgrade, clean install Vista > activate it > do not install drivers or software > upgrade to 7.

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

The clean install is not an option because it will take more than a week to reinstall all the programs I have and the data files.
I do understand that the upgrades are not usually the best. It looked like that the upgrade process took care of copying all program I had and upgrade them.

BCCode: d1 errors are caused by faulty drivers or buggy software. Minidumps can tell more.
Minidump is attached.
I bothered to use BlueScreenViewer and it reported these in the stack:
Code:
ndis.sys    ndis.sys+3e3d    0x8d430000    0x8d4e7000    0x000b7000      0x4a5bbf58    7/13/2009 11:12:24 PM    Microsoft® Windows® Operating   System    NDIS 6.20 driver    6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)      Microsoft Corporation    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys

netw5v32.sys    netw5v32.sys+3641e    0x9362f000    0x93c8b000      0x0065c000    0x4b4df4ff    1/13/2010 4:29:51 PM    Intel® Wireless WiFi   Link Adapter    Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver    13.1.1.1    Intel   Corporation    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netw5v32.sys

ntkrnlpa.exe    ntkrnlpa.exe+125f80    0x82e08000    0x83218000      0x00410000    0x4b1e090a    12/8/2009 8:06:34 AM    Microsoft® Windows®   Operating System    NT Kernel & System    6.1.7600.16481   (win7_gdr.091207-1941)    Microsoft Corporation      C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe    
tcpip.sys    tcpip.sys+5b23a    0x8d625000    0x8d76e000     0x00149000     0x4a5bbf8e    7/13/2009 11:13:18 PM    Microsoft® Windows®  Operating  System    TCP/IP Driver    6.1.7600.16385  (win7_rtm.090713-1255)     Microsoft Corporation     C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys    

win32k.sys    win32k.sys+232e1e    0x82340000    0x8258a000      0x0024a000    0x00000000        Microsoft® Windows® Operating System      Multi-User Win32 Driver    6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)      Microsoft Corporation    C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
So I think the problem can be in a bug in tcpip.sys (by Microsoft) or netw5v32.sys (by Intel). I found these hotfix patches:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976527http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976527
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977067

They both update the tcpip.sys. However, the file version of the tcpip.sys in this patch is higher than the previous one : 6.1.7600.20564 vs 6.1.7600.20512 but the date is exactly the opposite for the date.

I wonder how the file versioning works in Microsoft (especially in the case of hotfixs).

Do you think one of the patches can help?
If it is a Wireless driver problem, I wonder what I should do... Should just I uninstall the Intel drivers?

Attachments

• 032310-21356-01.zip
    39 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
The clean install is not an option because it will take more than a week to reinstall all the programs I have and the data files.

I found these hotfix patches:
\\"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976527\\"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976527
You receive a stop error after you enable the RequireinClearout mode on an IPv6 network on Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

They both update the tcpip.sys. However, the file version of the tcpip.sys in this patch is higher than the previous one : 6.1.7600.20564 vs 6.1.7600.20512 but the date is exactly the opposite for the date.

I wonder how the file versioning works in Microsoft (especially in the case of hotfixs).

Do you think one of the patches can help?
If it is a Wireless driver problem, I wonder what I should do... Should just I uninstall the Intel drivers?

That second fix can quite work :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977067 said:
In this scenario, the computer restarts unexpectedly and you receive the following error message:

0x000000D1 (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If the same problem persists, reinstall the drivers. I understand you have all your drivers from Vista, correct? This can be the problem.

As for the clean install, yes it takes more time to do it but it is indeed worth it:

1. Stable work, fewer bugs
2. Faster speed - Link Removed - Invalid URL

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks for your answer Cybercore!

I installed the first hotfix just because I haven't seen the second yet. I didn't replace with a second one because I am not sure if the tcpip.sys installed by the first hotfix does not include the patch in the secod one. Unless I have news from the forum first, I will keep this version until I have another BSOD. Hopefully I will not have it again.

I am not exactly sure how Microsoft versions its files. According to the date of the tcpip.sys the one I installed is the newer than the other in the second hotfix. The one I installed may be a version that include the second patch or they may have branched the source code on a path that does not include it. Who has any idea about that?

Regarding the drivers I already tried to uninstall and reinstall. I had also upgraded the Video Drivers NVidea 8400GS, Skype, Network Monitor 3, Intel PROSet/Wireless drivers and probably others after win7 upgrade.
I actually saw that the wireless was working after having uninstalled the drivers. The computer was probably using the driver released with the Win7. I reinstalled because the internal database with the password for the various Wlan I usually connect to was empty and I am not sure I remember all the passwords.

Regarding the fastest speed of a clean installation, I did not have doubts if you run the test after having installed the operating system.
However if you start installing programs that have low-level interaction (antivirus, Nero, VmWare, etc.) or that they are resident since startup, and then you work on the computer for a while (creating files that eventually will start to be fragmented), I am not sure how much faster the clean installation will continue to be comparing with a comparable upgraded installation.
And I am less sure what the difference will be noticeable after you run a defragmenter (I use MyDefrag; I built a personalized script and I am very happy about that).

Best,
Camicia

Camicia said:
Regarding the drivers I already tried to uninstall and reinstall. I had also upgraded the Video Drivers NVidea 8400GS, Skype, Network Monitor 3, Intel PROSet/Wireless drivers and probably others after win7 upgrade.

I installed the first hotfix just because I haven't seen the second yet. I didn't replace with a second one because I am not sure if the tcpip.sys installed by the first hotfix does not include the patch in the secod one. Unless I have news from the forum first, I will keep this version until I have another BSOD. Hopefully I will not have it again.

Ok.

The first patch does not include the second one, (1) kb976527 vs (2) kb/977067, (1) DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL vs (2) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

Of course do not worry about the 2nd if the problem's gone. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good point, I used to reason the same way about early Vista vs 7 benchmarks. :)

Camicia said:
Regarding the fastest speed of a clean installation, I did not have doubts if you run the test after having installed the operating system.
However if you start installing programs that have low-level interaction (antivirus, Nero, VmWare, etc.) or that they are resident since startup, and then you work on the computer for a while (creating files that eventually will start to be fragmented), I am not sure how much faster the clean installation will continue to be comparing with a comparable upgraded installation.

I think you are right, at least for some of those tests like boot and shut-down time. However, the slightly decreased performance for zipping and starting Outlook may be different. Or it may be the same after defragmenting the hard drive. This is not clear from the article.

awkward news

So it happened again twice (dmp are attached). I was writing on the forum about the new crash and it did it again. So these are the awkward news :confused::

• I examined the new minidumps with BlueScreenViewer: Now the crashed stack has only tcpip.sys. and ntkrnlpa.exe (Kernel). Does this mean that, since the Intel Wireless drivers are not there, they are not the problem?
  • This is the most awkward thing: The dmp report that the tcpip.sys was version 6.1.7600.16385 and located in C:/windows/system32/drivers/tcpip.sys. I checked the file from explorer and if I go on properties it reports that it is version 6.1.7600.20512 (the one that I would expected the hotfix patch installed). I know that there is a backup in winsxs folder but it should not pick it up there! And even if it did it should report that it was in that folder and not in systems32/drivers! What is going on? :( A virus/spyware that replace the tcpip.sys with a custom file and restore the original at the startup seems too sophisticated. Maybe the patched TCPIP.sys was compiled without changing the version in all the part of the file? Any idea? I am confused.
At this time doesn't seem to make sense to apply the second patch until I understand why windows 7 seems not to use the file in windows32/drivers.

So since the last time I run the command:"netsh int ip reset" as described here: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). The command requires a reboot and the first of the last two crashes happened BEFORE the reboot. So I supposed, I was still running with the old ip configuration. The second should have the new one, I guess.

Last note: When the crash happen I have a lot of FF tabs open (likely 100+) that may push to the limit the limit the number of connection available. However I had the same situation on Vista and I have never had a crash like that.

Please help!

Attachments

• 032410-33384-01.zip
    37.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 032410-19671-01.zip
    30.1 KB · Views: 389
Yep, I ended up installing the 2nd quick fix and it seems that solved the problem. So far it is going well. The tcpip.sys version is higher than the one in the 1st Hotfix and even the date of the file is actually older too, meaning that probably the file is newer. It was just strange that the 1st hotfix has been released after 2nd hotfix and contained a older file.

tcpip with hotfi&#1.png

Regarding versions the loaded tcpip.sys Win7 still reports version 6.1.7600.16385 but the date is actually the one of the file in the hotfix.
I think the version number is repeated at least two times inside the file and the Microsoft team updated only the one that is visible by right clicking on the file and selecting "properties".

I wonder what Microsoft is waiting for before pushing this hotfix to the Windows updates for everybody. I am pretty sure there are other people with my same problem.

Update: A Microsoft engineer signaled me that the problem could be the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3. So far the 2nd hotfix seems having made my system stable. If I have another BSOD I will try to uninstall it. See Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom