Windows 10 BSOD With Unexpected Store Exception and Critical Process Died (No Minidump Getting Created)

I have an ASUS K501UW-NB72 Laptop running the latest Windows 10, I have been experiencing BSODs for the past week. I have even Reset my PC, removing my files and apps. The LED Notification for the hard Drive Stays On, doesn't flash and suddenly the System Stops Responding. Whatever is in the Memory Keeps Running but as soon as the Drive is accessed the System crashes with Error Codes "Unexpected Store Exception" and "Critical Process Died". I am running the latest Drivers as well. The problem started all of a sudden, 2 weeks after Patch Tuesday last month. Also, I am experiencing a Similar Crash while Running UBUNTU. I have a 120GB SSD as Boot Drive and another 750GB HDD as Mass Storage Drive in my laptop.
I have tried all ways to Diagnose and find out Minidumps, the settings to create Minidumps are as described on the Forum Posts, but during the BSOD, the Progress remains at 0% until and unless I press the power Button to manually Reset my PC. Once the PC Restarts, it detects all the drives.
I have run the Diagnostic Tool and am attaching the Report with this post. Kindly look into this matter.
Thanks!

Attachments

• WR7-16-07-2017_190736_12.zip
    487.1 KB · Views: 385
Hi and welcome to the forum :up:
Thanks for your zipped report, and I've taken a quick look through it and don't really see anything sticking it's head out that could cause your BSOD problem. However, there are some things you can do to also help us until we get one of our Crash Dump Analysts to help you further.
One of those is, take a look at these instructions on this link and post the resulting file back here to this thread. Each tech forum has their own sets of tools from analyzing problems with computers, so start here: How to ask for help with a BSOD Problem

Our Crash Dump experts may be able to assist you better with capturing your Crash Dump. Usually, we don't take a full dump report, but rather the Mini Dump report is the one we prefer.

In the meantime, I would locate your purchase receipt for this laptop, as it appears to be quite new. Is it less than 1 year old? If so, it's covered by the ASUS factory warranty if failure occurs and it's a manufacturing defect or similar. You could return it to your place of purchase, if it's a physical computer store, or if online you can phone them up and ask them if they have a repair depot close to where you live. Otherwise, if it's out of the country, you may have to ship it to them which costs about $50-$60 US. After they repair your laptop and replace any defective parts they will pay the return shipping to you.

Looking through your report fixes, I noticed that you are getting a lot of Hardware Errors, which is quite unusual for a new laptop. Also, your laptop has 2 drives in it (the SSD and the HDD). Usually when troubleshooting these kinds of problems, the secondary HDD would need to be disconnected from the laptop and the bootdrive (C: drive) would need to be tested alone. Depending on how your laptop is built, you might not have an access port on the bottom of the laptop case, but if you do, you can disconnect it there without opening the entire case and test your SSD drive using instructions from this link:Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
If your SSD drive has failed, of course it would need to be replaced, and if your laptop is still under factory warranty, you can get that done for free by ASUS not including the shipping costs of course. If outside of warranty that can be a costly repair, $140-$180 US or so.

The other issue you have to be careful of is that even opening a hard drive access port or the lower part of the laptop case, often results in VOIDING your Warranty; so I wouldn't do it. Even though there may not be tape sensors there and you don't see them, if you open it up and can't get it working again, and ship it back to ASUS, techs there can tell if you opened it up and voided your Warranty. Which means that they will not pay to fix it for you. They will call or E-mail you to notify you that you voided your Warranty, and if you want it fixed quote you a cost, which no doubt will be very expensive. If this happens to you, don't be surprised if their repair charge to get your laptop going again is close to the original price your paid for the laptop!

So, be a little patient here, get us back our report and wait for further instructions. And the 2 things you can do again are:
1.) Check to see if your laptop is still within the 1 yr. factory warranty period before you do anything.
2.) Ensure that all your Personal Data (Library Folders) are backed up to external media. This is also extremely important, because if we can't help you fix it, and your laptop IS in Warranty period and you ship it back to them, if they have to replace the SSD drive, HDD drive, or the Motherboard, in most cases your windows drive will be completely erased of programs and data and restored to out-of-box condition. This means that anything you now have on that laptop that is important to you, you better have backed up somewhere else, because it will be returned without it.:eek:

Let us know how you get on or if you have any further questions along the way.
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

I have an ASUS K501UW-NB72 Laptop running the latest Windows 10, I have been experiencing BSODs for the past week. I have even Reset my PC, removing my files and apps. The LED Notification for the hard Drive Stays On, doesn't flash and suddenly the System Stops Responding. Whatever is in the Memory Keeps Running but as soon as the Drive is accessed the System crashes with Error Codes "Unexpected Store Exception" and "Critical Process Died". I am running the latest Drivers as well. The problem started all of a sudden, 2 weeks after Patch Tuesday last month. Also, I am experiencing a Similar Crash while Running UBUNTU. I have a 120GB SSD as Boot Drive and another 750GB HDD as Mass Storage Drive in my laptop.
I have tried all ways to Diagnose and find out Minidumps, the settings to create Minidumps are as described on the Forum Posts, but during the BSOD, the Progress remains at 0% until and unless I press the power Button to manually Reset my PC. Once the PC Restarts, it detects all the drives.
I have run the Diagnostic Tool and am attaching the Report with this post. Kindly look into this matter.
Thanks!
Hi,
I see you ran the application to get the dump files but unfortunately none were included within the report.

This can be down to a number of reasons although usually it's because you need to change your settings like so:
If there doesn't appear to be any dump files then you'll need to change your settings so that they're created when the machine bsods.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Another reason for no dump file creation is down to not having a paging file. So if you have turned yours off then please initiate it again.

Once the above changes have been met and you bsod then a dump file should be created and you can run the app again. This time you should hopefully have a dump file within the report.

Hi,
I see you ran the application to get the dump files but unfortunately none were included within the report.

This can be down to a number of reasons although usually it's because you need to change your settings like so:
If there doesn't appear to be any dump files then you'll need to change your settings so that they're created when the machine bsods.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Another reason for no dump file creation is down to not having a paging file. So if you have turned yours off then please initiate it again.

Once the above changes have been met and you bsod then a dump file should be created and you can run the app again. This time you should hopefully have a dump file within the report.

I have all the settings as mentioned by you. The Minidumps wont get created whatsoever. During BSOD, the HDD AccessLED Completely goes off and wont come on, I guess it is something related to my SATA controller not responding or something. Dont know for sure.

Thanks for your zipped report, and I've taken a quick look through it and don't really see anything sticking it's head out that could cause your BSOD problem. However, there are some things you can do to also help us until we get one of our Crash Dump Analysts to help you further.
One of those is, take a look at these instructions on this link and post the resulting file back here to this thread. Each tech forum has their own sets of tools from analyzing problems with computers, so start here: How to ask for help with a BSOD Problem

Our Crash Dump experts may be able to assist you better with capturing your Crash Dump. Usually, we don't take a full dump report, but rather the Mini Dump report is the one we prefer.

In the meantime, I would locate your purchase receipt for this laptop, as it appears to be quite new. Is it less than 1 year old? If so, it's covered by the ASUS factory warranty if failure occurs and it's a manufacturing defect or similar. You could return it to your place of purchase, if it's a physical computer store, or if online you can phone them up and ask them if they have a repair depot close to where you live. Otherwise, if it's out of the country, you may have to ship it to them which costs about $50-$60 US. After they repair your laptop and replace any defective parts they will pay the return shipping to you.

Looking through your report fixes, I noticed that you are getting a lot of Hardware Errors, which is quite unusual for a new laptop. Also, your laptop has 2 drives in it (the SSD and the HDD). Usually when troubleshooting these kinds of problems, the secondary HDD would need to be disconnected from the laptop and the bootdrive (C: drive) would need to be tested alone. Depending on how your laptop is built, you might not have an access port on the bottom of the laptop case, but if you do, you can disconnect it there without opening the entire case and test your SSD drive using instructions from this link:Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
If your SSD drive has failed, of course it would need to be replaced, and if your laptop is still under factory warranty, you can get that done for free by ASUS not including the shipping costs of course. If outside of warranty that can be a costly repair, $140-$180 US or so.

The other issue you have to be careful of is that even opening a hard drive access port or the lower part of the laptop case, often results in VOIDING your Warranty; so I wouldn't do it. Even though there may not be tape sensors there and you don't see them, if you open it up and can't get it working again, and ship it back to ASUS, techs there can tell if you opened it up and voided your Warranty. Which means that they will not pay to fix it for you. They will call or E-mail you to notify you that you voided your Warranty, and if you want it fixed quote you a cost, which no doubt will be very expensive. If this happens to you, don't be surprised if their repair charge to get your laptop going again is close to the original price your paid for the laptop!

So, be a little patient here, get us back our report and wait for further instructions. And the 2 things you can do again are:
1.) Check to see if your laptop is still within the 1 yr. factory warranty period before you do anything.
2.) Ensure that all your Personal Data (Library Folders) are backed up to external media. This is also extremely important, because if we can't help you fix it, and your laptop IS in Warranty period and you ship it back to them, if they have to replace the SSD drive, HDD drive, or the Motherboard, in most cases your windows drive will be completely erased of programs and data and restored to out-of-box condition. This means that anything you now have on that laptop that is important to you, you better have backed up somewhere else, because it will be returned without it.:eek:

<<BIGBEARJEDI>>
My Laptop is still Under Warranty. I'll take it to a service center near me and have them look at it. Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping I could fix this myself but as you pointed out, I guess it is more of a hardware error than a software error.
Also, No Dumps are getting created, even though all the settings match.

<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

<<BIGBEARJEDI>>
The Report as requested by you along with my Settings for Pagefile and Minidumps.

Attachments

• W7F_17-07-2017.zip
    522.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 501
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,025
My Laptop is still Under Warranty. I'll take it to a service center near me and have them look at it. Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping I could fix this myself but as you pointed out, I guess it is more of a hardware error than a software error.
Also, No Dumps are getting created, even though all the settings match.
I took a look over what you sent in and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I see that some issues relate to Grand theft Auto. These apps are known to cause issues: gdipp, MacType, d3dgear, amBX.

One thing you could try before taking it back is to right click on your C drive, choose properties, Tools and finally check drive (even if it says it doesn't need it). It might and i mean 'might' clear up any corruption or whatever is going wrong.
Try running these scans too

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I took a look over what you sent in and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I see that some issues relate to Grand theft Auto. These apps are known to cause issues: gdipp, MacType, d3dgear, amBX.

One thing you could try before taking it back is to right click on your C drive, choose properties, Tools and finally check drive (even if it says it doesn't need it). It might and i mean 'might' clear up any corruption or whatever is going wrong.
Try running these scans too

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.
As you asked, these tests came out fine. I ran a chkdsk /f /r 2 days ago and the only thing was that it removed some 9000 unused index entries from $IS9 or something. Other than that no errors/no data in bad sectors.

Attachments

• CMD.JPG
    CMD.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 485
Thanks for the update.

You may find that cures things for a while but it depends really on what the actual issue is. Have you had a bsod event since running the scans?

Good job, Saamarth! :up: Hopefully, ASUS will be able to resolved your problem, at least they should be able to reinstall W10 for you and test your hardware. And it should be completely free since it's under Warranty. Keep us informed.

BBJ

Good job, Saamarth! :up: Hopefully, ASUS will be able to resolved your problem, at least they should be able to reinstall W10 for you and test your hardware. And it should be completely free since it's under Warranty. Keep us informed.

BBJ
You guys have been a gift man, now I know who to contact in case I have any problems in the near future and hope that I can contribute more to this forum, and yeah I'll keep you guys updated! :D

My Laptop has been repaired,(atleast that is what the guys at ASUS are saying). They told me over the phone that my HDD was bad and there was some problem with my Motherboard. Will be going to pick it up today (Fingers Crossed). Will update this as soon as I lay my Hands on it and find that it is fine :')

Excellent news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Saamarth.

I am glad to report that I have been using my Laptop for the past 2 days, without any issues whatsoever. Seems like the problem is now fixed. They told me that they replaced the HDD and the MOBO, however the Mobo is still with the same serial Number, is this unusual?
Anyway, my Laptop is fine now, or atleast seems to be!

Back